How do you log Zumba?

Options
Hey all, I just did Zumba for the first time today and I noticed it's not on the list of cardio exercises. Anyone else do Zumba? What do you log it as-aerobics?

Replies

• asunnysnowman
    asunnysnowman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I log it under cardio
    and I get the calories burned from livestrong.com

they're good for counting calories, but not much else
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I put it under aerobic activity.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    the zumba website has a thing that tell you after you give your weight I think. i did use aerobics but once I got my calories off the zumba site, i use that.
  • mhepler
    Options
    I use http://www.zumbacalories.com/. I haven't compared it to any other calculator though, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. I usually go with the lowest intensity, just to be conservative.
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I log it under dance (modern, twist, etc.) I heard that this is inaccurate because you born more in zumba, but since I don't eat back my exercise calories, I don't worry about it.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    zumbacalories.com. Also, there have been a lot of other threads on this. Try the search function.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com and create your own exercise
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i use dance aerobics or you can also work out cals on zumbacalories.com
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com you type your weights in and it calculates cals burned based on intensity level....I wear an HRM sometimes and they are very similiar
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My first and biggest suggestion would be to get a Heart Rate Monitor. You can get them in a wide range of prices, so there's some that should fit any budget. I personally have a polar ft7 and LOVE it. Definitely get one with a chest strap. However...if you dont have/dont want a HRM, you *can* use zumbacalories.com to approximate how many calories you burn in a zumba workout. But beware, like MFP it's likely to overestimate the calories you burn. Once you get your calories from this site, you can 'add your own workout' and type in zumba/the amount of calories. ALSO beware, when you log it in once, make sure to go back and re-calculate when you lose weight! Until I kept my HRM I forgot to do that and it was drastically overestimating my calories burned!

Edit to say: Sometimes zumbacalories is fairly close to my HRM, others my HRM is higher, others the site it higher. It really is a personal thing. That site will give you a decent approximation, and it's fine, especially if you don't eat back your workout calories. If you do, however, make sure you leave a little wiggle room!
  • ndlakebum
    Options
    I also log it as Dance (modern, twist...) whatever that one is!
  • nlhr2011
    nlhr2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use http://www.zumbacalories.com/. I haven't compared it to any other calculator though, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. I usually go with the lowest intensity, just to be conservative.

I have compared the results from this website to the results I get when I wear my HRM. It's pretty accurate if I used the middle findings.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I do zumba and I found it there. I added it when I started and maybe that is why. I found how many calories (approx) that it burned in an hr and added it. Now every time I do zumba its there for me!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

I usually use zumbacalories.com or my HRM
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    HRM and then i just add Zumba
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    Thanks everyone! ;)