Is too many proteins a bad thing?

Options
I am finding that I eat too many proteins almost every day. But without the protein I'm not full. I'm eating the right amount of calories but too many grams of protein.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Nope! No such thing as too much protein, unless you eat too many calories! MFP sets you to ~25% I believe. If you're like me, you need to raise it to 30-40%. You can customize your goals so that you can have more protein each day. Don't worry about it too much, as long as you're staying around the right calories, you should still see improvement!
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Too much according to mfp? There recommendations are the minimums IMO. I shoot for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight. Some say to do 1g per pound of lean body mass. I find keeping my protein around 190-220g keeps me fuller and allows me to maintain more strength and muscle while cutting calories.
  • rippin83
    rippin83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, not at all, I always go over on my protein allowance every day. It doesnt harm your diet and put it this way, its better than carbs or fat but high protein is great for weight loss but combined with strengthening exercises, not just cardio :smile:
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I drink and eat as much protein as I want. Has never hurt me:)
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Nope! No such thing as too much protein, unless you eat too many calories! MFP sets you to ~25% I believe. If you're like me, you need to raise it to 30-40%. You can customize your goals so that you can have more protein each day. Don't worry about it too much, as long as you're staying around the right calories, you should still see improvement!

How do you customize those goals? I went to setting and I guess I'm just not seeing it. I also see that some people have their diaries customized so that their snacks are split between morning, afternoon & after dinner. Anybody know how to do this, too?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating like 130% of your body weight in grams of protein, I can pretty much guarantee that you're not doing any harm. Even then, you probably would be fine. I cannot for the life of me figure out why MFP's protein goal default is so low.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I go over my goal every day too. And according to my physician that's not dangerous or anything. he warned me tho, that if i OD on protein products, i might get seizures. but we're talking about several pounds of protein powder/supplements a day, like 50 pounds or protein bars/powder. (that was the example he used :D). so no problemo.
  • KarenT45
    KarenT45 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise. I ate more protein yesterday and feel amazing today, not hungry and lost a pound since yesterday. What more can I ask. LOL
    Thanks again.