ZUMBA :: low or high impact?

Options
Hi, y'all! Hopefully someone can help me out here. Is zumba high impact or low impact? I am trying to calculate a calorie burn through health status. They say for a person weighing 160lbs the burn for 10 minutes is 144 calories. If this is so.... i need to hop on the Zumba craze.

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you follow it like I do it's definitely HIGH IMPACT! I sweat like a mofo in 50 minutes and burn 700-800 calories (per HRM).
  • kit8kat
    kit8kat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Zumba can be high or low impact - it depends on how much you want to bounce around the floor. :-) I go for high impact every time, I come out sweating and with a smile on my face. :bigsmile:
  • asunnysnowman
    asunnysnowman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer that.

The first time i did it - definitely low impact; I couldn't handle high impact.

Now? High impact, for sure.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    depends, could you sing the songs they were playing (assuming you know the words) or were you huffing and puffing? If the former, then low... if the latter than high.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, depends on the effort you put in. For me it is mostly high impact.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I agree with the others. For beginners you might be at low impact just because you're learning, but once you catch on and put the full amount of effort into it, high impact for sure!
  • change_happens
    Options
    thanks a ton.
  • luvmi2kids
    luvmi2kids Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, and weigh just a what you are at. I work at high impact through most of the 60 minutes. My typical calorie burn is between 400-500 depending on the routines they do. The higher your heart rate, the more calories you burn. You also need to take into account your age and height and all that other good stuff to calculate your AT. Everyone burns at a different rate. Others in the same class, who are may or may not be working just as hard are burning more than i am. It is frustrating, but you have to be honest or you will not be making the correct calculations when it comes to your eating. Good luck!