How to keep a cat from spraying my back door?!

Options
I have 2 inside cats. Both are females, spayed, and never leave the house. I found another cat roaming the yard the other night and now he is spraying my back door. It is horrible! :mad: He can't see my cats because we don't have a glass back door. Any ideas on what I can put around the back door to keep him from spraying? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    not really. outdoor cats tend tp know when there is a cat inside even if they can't see them.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    There's a spray product that's meant to shoo cats away from furniture they aren't supposed to be on, or areas they shouldn't scratch. It smells like some kind of herb they don't like, or something. IDK if it would work, but it's sure worth a try! I can't remember the name of it.....anyone know the name of what I'm referring to?
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    There's a spray product that's meant to shoo cats away from furniture they aren't supposed to be on, or areas they shouldn't scratch. It smells like some kind of herb they don't like, or something. IDK if it would work, but it's sure worth a try! I can't remember the name of it.....anyone know the name of what I'm referring to?

I've used a product like Feliway indoors but I'm not sure it would work outdoors. It is a plug in for the wall. Is this similar to what you were thinking about?
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    no, that spray you are talking about is for calming cats down so they don't urinate in the same spot over and over. It's expensive and in my experience doesn't do a thing.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    The feed stores around here sell coyote urine - a couple of well placed drops will repel cats and raccoons.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,192 Member
    Options
    A live trap with some tuna in it. Then a long long drive into the country.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    A live trap with some tuna in it. Then a long long drive into the country.

or a giant rat trap with tuna on it, and a short walk to the garbage can.
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try putting citronella scent around the door or burying orange peel cus they don't like the smell.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    on the interwebs, it said this:

Clean up all areas where the cat has previously sprayed as the scent can trigger them to spray again in the same area. First wash all surfaces that have been sprayed with cat urine with a laundry detergent containing enzymes. Then mix up 50% white vinegar and 50% water in a spray bottle and spray the area well with the vinegar solution to discourage the cat spraying urine in the same place again.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    There is a spray that can be used to stop cats from getting into things, I'm sure if you sprayed around the door the cat would leave it alone. It's not an odor spray, for urine, it's just a spray to stop cats from getting into something or from scratching things. I used to use it on my couches until my cat finally learned to stop clawing the edges! You can get it at almost any pet store, just ask!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

I've used a product like Feliway indoors but I'm not sure it would work outdoors. It is a plug in for the wall. Is this similar to what you were thinking about?

Yep, that sounds right. I bought it in a spray bottle though, not in a wall plug.

It isn't the "don't pee here" product, I agree that stuff doesn't work. It's specifically meant to keep cats off/away from the areas sprayed.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751025 This product seriously worked miracles for me!
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I spray bleach or ammonia on the door (neighborhood cats like my front door). Give it a few days then wash off. Seems to have helped. Also works to keep animals out of garbage cans.
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have 2 inside cats. Both are females, spayed, and never leave the house. I found another cat roaming the yard the other night and now he is spraying my back door. It is horrible! :mad: He can't see my cats because we don't have a glass back door. Any ideas on what I can put around the back door to keep him from spraying? Thanks in advance!

You can try pouring some eucalyptus oil (neat) and wiping the door with it. I have 5 cats (4 indoor) and if we dont want them in a particular area we put a cotton ball with Eucalyptus oil on it...works a treats.
    Good Luck
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A small bowl full of antifreeze on the porch will handle the problem nicely.

That's not funny.
    you got about three minutes to amend this to ...."haha just kidding" before you find yourself booted from my FL.

I am not recommending it...I am just saying that it will work. I have no problem with cats. I have a great cat that I love dearly. But I am just suggesting a solution........

but if it makes you feel better......
    "hahaha.....just kidding! LoL" ;-)
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    tape. cats hate sticky things. back wrap your door mat with the tape. that way it is heavy and he won't take off with tape attached. or call your local animal control for a cage and get him out of there. Yuck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    A small bowl full of antifreeze on the porch will handle the problem nicely.

That's not funny.
    you got about three minutes to amend this to ...."haha just kidding" before you find yourself booted from my FL.

I am not recommending it...I am just saying that it will work. I have no problem with cats. I have a great cat that I love dearly. But I am just suggesting a solution........

but if it makes you feel better......
    "hahaha.....just kidding! LoL" ;-)

the "solution" results in a painful and horrible death for the animal.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Lion Poo