I screwed up on my first day...

Options
I work at Wendy's and it's easy to eat healthy there, but I got suckered into a 10 hour shift today and I was soooooo hungry that I ordered a burger when leaving. I had 2 eggs and 3 cups of green tea for breakfast, a small bowl of chili and a grilled chicken wrap for lunch, the burger was a "snack", and dinner is a side salad and fruit cup. This all takes me 30 calories over. If I didn't eat the burger, I wouldn't have screwed up. Day 1 = fail :sad:

Replies

• Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    5 minutes of vigorous jumping jacks (or star jumps as we call them in my neck of the woods) and you are all good!!!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Okay, before you say "fail" and screw yourself up lets get a little perspective here. You're 30 calories over for the day? that's NOTHING! you made some good choices, you probably didn't eat things you would have eaten normally. I don't call that a failure, I call it a starting point. When we learn something like a new language or drivign a car we give ourselves time to learn the new skill. When we start to eat healthily we expect to be perfect immediately and forever going forward. I don't think you failed at all, you tried, you went a tiny bit over... I say chalk it up to experience and make different choices tomorrow.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Okay, before you say "fail" and screw yourself up lets get a little perspective here. You're 30 calories over for the day? that's NOTHING! you made some good choices, you probably didn't eat things you would have eaten normally. I don't call that a failure, I call it a starting point. When we learn something like a new language or drivign a car we give ourselves time to learn the new skill. When we start to eat healthily we expect to be perfect immediately and forever going forward. I don't think you failed at all, you tried, you went a tiny bit over... I say chalk it up to experience and make different choices tomorrow.

this!
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's barely anything. Just a few minutes of cardio. Plus, I'm guessing it's quite common to go over at first.
  • BekahLuv
    BekahLuv Posts: 164
    Options
    I plan on doing 30 Day Shred as my workout today. And thanks... you're right. I can only learn from my mistakes and keep pushing forward,
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I completely agree! And yes, when I am a few calories over, I just do a few more exercises to bring me back down :)

Keep up the good work, it was definitely not a fail!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Exercise a bit! I know its hard after a long day, but..Otherwise it's only 30 calories over, probably still at a defecit for the day, just not as much of one. I have gone over plenty of times but most days am good and have lost 13 pnds since Jan 5th. It will be OK :)
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    YOU DIDN'T FAIL.. You did what you had to do for the day because of work etc. If you are only 30 calories over your calories for the day then that is no biggie. You worked a 10 hour shift and probably wore that off anyway. The 1200 calories most of us are given is a guide line to follow, for some it is far to low. Hang in there you are fine.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a fail! Take a walk, do some jumping jacks, lunges, squats... any bit of activity will earn you those calories back. Take this and learn from it and have a plan in place for next time you have to grab something fast. Great luck to you!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, you didn't fail... the only way you would fail is if you give up because of eating a hamburger.
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are using the calorie deficit provided by the MFP site, you did not fail. You are under maintenance calories. Create an extra 30 calorie deficit tomorrow and you will be back on track.

You haven't failed and telling yourself you have will only lead to more failure.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That's really good for your first day!! I don't even want to remember how much I 'failed' on my first day. 30 calories over IS NOTHING!

I also think it's important to note that you realized it, and don't have the 'whatever' attitude about it. Hang in there; you will have bad days, but you will feel AWESOME on your good days :happy:
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    NOT a failure. That calorie number is not the 'end all' for you to look at. Truth be know it may be lower than what you find works in the long run. Don't sweat it. Work it off if you'd like and be content.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No such thing as failing. It's all a learning curve. You won't do that tomorrow.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You'll be OK!

It's a learning experience, and thirty calories over the first day is a VICTORY considering it's easy as hell to go over 2000 calories for the average person who doesn't even think about what they eat...

Here you go, some Bob Marley to make you happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaGUr6wzyT8
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i agree! 30 calories over isnt bad at all.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Less than 5 minutes on an elliptical machine will knock that 30 calories outta the park! Don't be so hard on yourself, it takes some time to get used to things....!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Only 30 Calories over? BFD! So eat 50 calories under the next day and keep going. I swing my calories all the time. Most days I am under, but a couple times a week I go over. I don't want my body to think I'm neglecting it's energy source (food, surprise!).
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I prevent this by planning & packing my breakfast, lunch & 4-5 snacks the night before. EVERY DAY. Regardless of what I have planned, even on weekends, just in case. If it's not in the bag, I don't eat it. Tomorrow's a new day! :)
  • chwillia1
    chwillia1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me...plus or minus 50 calories...pfft! I mean, seriously, how can you eat so that your caloric intake for the day lands exactly on your goal? I would call your day a success.