Bariatric surgery

Options
So I joined this site a few days ago....and I find this site has helped me tremendesly.... altho I feel a little like I am taking advantage of everyones kindness....I have alot of weight to lose but I only had to loss 30 pounds because April 3rd I am scheduled for bariatric surgery, anyway I can see that people on here are doing it the hard way while I opted for the easy way..... but I can say it was no easy dicision...So anyway I was wondering if anyone would be offended for me being on this program???

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    First off you're not taking the easy way. WLS is HARD. If you don't stick to it you end up sick, you can't eat what you want in moderation and you're on pills for the rest of your life. So I don't consider WLS the easy option.

Anyone who would be offended by you having WLS is not worth worrying over.

I personally think WLS is silly and better results can be achieved through the so called hard way. A girl I work with has just had it done and the tiny amount she eats is horrible to see. I've lost a bit less than her and am much happier. I'll continue to lose it too she might win the 'race' but we'll both end up there eventually.
  • disp53
    disp53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    WLS is not the easy option. I am 5 years out and I have never regretted it once. Everyone is different and not everyone is on pills their entire life. I take a multi-vitamin daily and thats it. I have my labs drawn every year and I am as healthy as can be.

I shattered my leg in the fall of 2010 and because of being non-weight bearing for 4 months and then learning to use my leg again, I slowly added some weight back on. Once I was comfortable exercising again I joined this site and started dropping the weight. Because of the healthy habits I learned from WLS it was easy for me to restrict my diet and lose weight. I am half way to my goal in only 7 weeks. Once I am back to my goal weight I will use this site to maintain, it's great tool to keep tract of your protein, calcium etc...

Good luck to you and never regret your decision!
  • pattan59801
    Options
    I to thought WLS was silly untill I climbed to 350+ and my DR said If something wasnt done I woul be dead in 5 years, I have every co-morbidity there is and I am on so much medication now that the few vitamins I will have to take the rest of my life are worth trading for, I have tried to lose it on my own but have failed at every attempt, so now I am going to do what has to be done, I have weighed the pros and the cons and there are so many more cons without the WLS... but thank so much for telling me it is ok to be here because I reall y need the support
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    WLS is no way the easy option, however, you will need to make dietary changes regardless. Take the opportunity now, while you have the choice, to make the changes and get yourself all set up. Good luck with your choice. There is a company Protica that makes protein beverages that are high in protein but only 3oz, we sell a lot to bariatric patients (disclaimer: I do work for the company but do not get commissions). Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Surgery is not an easy way out. It permanently alters your body and changes your whole relationship with what you can and cannot eat. Plus it doesn't change the way you think or why you got that way in the first place. Don't let anyone tell you it's a cop out.
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anyone being offended by you getting WLS. That would be dumb. Some may feel strongly against it due to potential complications. I've read some horror stories out there. But, if you're going into it well educated about it, confident in your need for it and ready for a change, then go for it.

I personally believe that everyone's weight loss journey is their own and not to be dictated by anyone else.
  • dawnsheree
    Options
    OMG! I just posted something about WLS! I had the Lap-band surgery in December, and is not the easy way out!!! I'm using it as a tool to help control how much i eat, that's all. The weight is slowly, slowly coming off, with all MY hard work, by hitting the gym and changing the way I think and feel about food. So far i'm down 19lbs and want to lose 40-60lbs more lbs.

Stay encourgaged. I'm well versed in the subject, so hit me me anytime.
  • bbrown148
    bbrown148 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just visited my doctor again this past week and she said it's time to begin the road to weight loss surgery and wants to see me once a month for the next six months so that we can have the official "history" for the insurance program as well as she wants to get me thinking "eating healthy" so that I'll succeed when I do have it. I have the consultation with the hospital as well this Thursday and so I'm just starting down this road.

I agree with the others — the decision to go this route is a tough one and like you, she said that I've got to get my health in order BEFORE it gets bad.

I've been a member on this site before and joined back today to start mentally start preparing myself for a healthy lifestyle!
  • jkuehn15
    jkuehn15 Posts: 11
    Options
    surgery is certainly NOT the easy way!!! i had the surgery 3 years ago and i still struggle to lose. I wouldn't have NOt done it for the world, it at least helped me get on a more even playing field and jumpstarted my weight loss. I am currently down 95 lbs and still have 70 to go... You still have to deal with the mental side especially after the first 2 years, its just another tool in your tool box to help you reach your goals!!! if you do what they tell you it really does work!!!! Good luck!!!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bariatric surgery is only a tool to use in weightloss/management.... a good tool...but only good IF the patient does the work.

It is the hard work of the person alone who makes losing weight possible. People put too much importance in wls.... then wonder why some call it "the easy way out" because losing weight no matter what tool you have is HARD WORK.

Change your own attitude and firm in your own beliefs ...you will find those around you will be more informed and not say such idiotic things.... ignorance is bliss..... educating them is the key..
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bariatric surgery is only a tool to use in weightloss/management.... a good tool...but only good IF the patient does the work.

It is the hard work of the person alone who makes losing weight possible. People put too much importance in wls.... then wonder why some call it "the easy way out" because losing weight no matter what tool you have is HARD WORK.

Change your own attitude and firm in your own beliefs ...you will find those around you will be more informed and not say such idiotic things.... ignorance is bliss..... educating them is the key..

I completely agree with this. And CONGRATULATIONS to you on your own weight loss. WOW!