Exercise Ideas for 60+ Year old Male...

Options
Hello Community!

I am looking for some ideas for my dad. He is 62 and overweight. He has recently started taking his caloric intake/nutrition seriously as he is finally in the headspace to make motions towards healthier living. (Yes!)

I am looking for some ideas of what he could do for starting up a gentle exercise routine. Some quick background...

*He has a very arthritic ankle due to injury/weight gain, so walking is tough for extended periods of time without pain.
*He is currently 372lbs, 6'1" tall. He's well down, weightwise, from my dietetic adjustments to his intake. (Yes! again!)
*He likes to swim, but we don't have access to a pool at the moment. (I'm looking, trust me!)
*He used to be a scuba diver and swimmer, so he is naturally drawn to that activity, but until I can find a pool in the sticks of Alaska, I'm looking for some alternative exercises to get him moving without causing him tremendous agony to his ankle which would only serve to discourage him. (I really want to keep him motivated. So far, he's excited! Feeling better, sleeping better, etc, etc, etc.)
*I looked into our local gym, but the cost is astronomical for our budget. I mean, really ridiculously out of my budget.
*I own a lot of free weights, a barbell, a heavy bag, an ab ball and an exercise bike. We live in woodsy Alaska, but with all the snow, it's a bit tough to get outside. (A sh*tload of snow. Like 4' in my backyard alone. I kid you not.) I want to get him outside in nicer weather though.
*He also likes to work on cars, but I have no clue what kind of burn one experiences while crawling around and under vehicles. (Maybe more or less then I imagine. Any gearheads have thoughts on that?)

He's been going at the dietary intake change for 4 weeks and has seen a loss of 22lbs. (No, I'm not starving him, I just wrestled the sugary candy, gobs of butter and tons of white bread away from him and started making healthy, nutrient dense options for him. I know that loss in this manner will only work so long and that he needs to start putting exercise into the routine as well to make a lasting, balanced, effective change. This is why I need a little brainstorming assistance from the community.

So he has tasted success and wants more. What do you guys think? What could I suggest for him?

Replies

• Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    He might benefit from Tai Chi, which is great for the older crowd. Otherwise I think biking and weights would be great to get him started.
    I think if you google "home exercises arthritis" you will hit a gold mine of ideas. Good luck! And I am a bit jealous of all that snow!
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 & tried Kettlebells for the first time a couple months ago. You end up with both cardio & strenght training all at the same time. You can do it at home, doesnt take lot of space or equipment, & I don't think it's as boring as weight lifting. It's not for everyone, but it's kind of interesting. Try Googleing it & you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about......Mike
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback so far. Anyone else have ideas to add??
  • Harlin12
    Harlin12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No ideas of my own, but you might try this guy. Good Luck,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494541-personal-trainer-wanting-to-help
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    swimming, or water arobics. I swim laps at the YMCA and they have many classes for water arobics also. It is usually 60+ crowd, many are overweight. Most have problems with arthritis, knees, or just dont have the strength for weights. The water helps with the balance and of course takes the pressure off the joints. They are very low impact and can be low cardio also, if need be. You see some that are really working it hard and some that are using it more for stretches and range of motion. It is really a class that suits all needs.....Have him try it out, he may find he really likes it......The best part is once you are in the water, nobody knows your body shape, which is why I swim.