How do YOU reach over 1700 calories?

Options
20 year old college student. 5'7", 158 pounds, banana/apple shaped. I have a hard time eating enough calories, and I believe that is why I am not losing weight efficiently. The other week I went down to 155 but my stomach was always grumbling and I didn't exercise for 2 days, then PLUMP, back down to 158. To be quite frank, counting calories PISSES me off to no end. It's a little sad I had to drop two classes to focus on weight loss because it requires so much work. I exercise 5x a week, drink a crap ton of water, it's just the EATING that is making me go insane. Yes, I know how to eat my protein and my vegetables. I just don't know how to cook and it makes me go crazy when I have to sit down for an hour and plan meals. Making salads even pisses me off, I'd rather just eat the baby spinach and the vegetables raw!! I have no time to cook meals & I'm getting really discouraged.

Usually in the morning I'll quickly cook 2 eggs, get a slice of whole wheat toast and spread some peanut butter, grab a cheese stick & a lowfat yogurt and BAM. A lot of calories are in. It's just throughout the rest of the day, I have no idea what to eat. A huge salad with chicken on it? Then maybe i'll snack on some almonds. Then maybe for dinner I'll have steamed brocolli and fish. What do you know, that gets me to only about 1600 cals and my body still wants to hold onto the fat. I'm so frustrated. I cannot sit there and just gorge on food all day, I'll throw up. Ugh.

Replies

• trying2bepretty
    Options
    SOMEONE HELPPPP!! lol
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How about a sandwich for lunch, and some fruit? Left overs from dinner? Or a wrap of some kind. Some greek yogurt, a slice of cheese. Red meat or chicken with skin for dinner. A salad (from a bag is fine) with cheese and salad dressing. A few glasses of milk. Some rice or pasta with dinner. I eat about 3000 calories a day right now. It's not hard for me.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

emilybites.com

Cooking is not hard. Most people that say they can't cook haven't really tried. Eat higher density foods like full fat cheese, avocado, 2% milk, olive oil, stuff like that if you don't want to necessarily eat more food. Eat something other than a salad for lunch if you can't get enough calories in.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all stop eating low fat stuff. That will bump your calories up. Eat nuts, good healthy fats in them. Avocado is another option. Based on what you have posted, it might be good to purchase a book on cooking healthy. You might find some good stuff here. I had a cook book she wrote and as I remember it had some good easy to make recipes that were quite healthy along with stuff on how to cook. If you take the time now to learn, you will not regret it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    There are people on here with several children, multiple jobs, going to school and working, and yet they all manage to count their calories with little difficulty. You can really do this (and you don't have to drop classes) if you really want it. Lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies you enjoy... it's not hard to hit your calories and macros with just a small amount of forethought and planning.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Could try a protein shake with peanut butter blended in.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do lots of noms

sw90785sw9yu.gif
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was going to tell you that you have to plan ahead, but I see that you don't like meal planning. Good luck.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You did not “have” to drop two classes to focus on losing weight. You chose to do that, likely out of frustration. There are plenty of folks who are successful who are also very busy.

You do not have to plan elaborate meals out. It can be as simple as a quick sandwich, or veggies plus a protein source. Bring fruit with you to classes, or try protein shakes. Eat some ice cream or a couple tablespoons of peanut butter for dessert if you have calories for it. Or on weekends, cook as much as you can ahead of time. Maybe let go of a day of exercise so you have more time for other things in your life.

And above everything else, have patience. Stress is not helpful for weight loss at all.
  • sopherella
    Options
    The scale doesn't always show progress. Maybe you have been gaining muscle from the workouts. You should start taking your measurements and don't obsess over a number that does not reflect losing fat and gaining muscle.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    take a look at my diary...it's pretty easy to get in calories.

I don't like to cook or plan meals much either, dinner is usually a lean meat with california blend and then i have left overs for lunch.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and I eat anywhere from 1600-2000 a day. I'd be happy to share tips and recipes with you if you want! I know how hard it can be to fit everything in. I am a college student, work 30 hrs a week and have 2 kids. Plus, I am training for a half marathon. Maybe you just need to simplify. Cut back on the exercise, make a bunch of food ahead of time, and remember to breathe!

I am sending you a friend request, and if you need more help, let me know.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    calorie-rich foods. Avocado, almonds, dark meat poultry, etc.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you hate cooking to the point it makes you angry- then eat out. Learn how to make smart choices at a cafeteria, restaurant or take out place. Some people are never meant to cook, perhaps you are one of them.

I would suggest cut out the 'diet' food- since you're not starving yourself you don't need to restrict your cals that way. Get to be friendly with protein shakes and meal replacement shakes - these are two different things. Skip salads- you need more cals. Up the eggs to three or four with breakfast. Keep an assortment of nuts on hand- munch on them.

It basically comes down to 'know yourself'- will you cook at all? What will you eat that won't make you angry? How much solid food can you tolerate? You don't have to be Martha Stuart to cook for yourself- honestly. You can make a pot of stew once a week and eat off of that. You could eat nothing but sandwiches and that'd be fine too if they fit into your macros. Figure out how you eat and then tailor your program around it.
  • italiankid96
    Options
    Honestly, i EASILY Reach 1700 calories a day. Im 15, 118lbs, 5'5" & i need 2200 to maintain my weight. im not on a "Diet" because im not trying to lose weight, but i certainly make sure i eat healthy, to minimize fat gain. Here's some stuff i eat-
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Turkey Hot Dogs
    Light Wheat Bread
    Fat Free Cottage Cheese
    ALL Veggies
    Kidney Beans
    Chick Peas
    Sweet Potatoes
    Nuts[Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, etc.]
    Fat Free Cheeses
    Silk Almond Milk[60 cal per cup]
    70 calorie Flour Tortillas
    Tunafish
    Low Fat Mayo
    Dreamfields Pasta
  • LuLuSUPER
    Options
    The scale doesn't always show progress. Maybe you have been gaining muscle from the workouts. You should start taking your measurements and don't obsess over a number that does not reflect losing fat and gaining muscle.

Yes this is very true!! I have been between a size 12-16 all my life and I reached 211lbs with little diference in appearance. However once I started working out im losing inches and the scales barely budges!! get a measuring tape or use a shoestring to help gauage your progress . the scale is a liar lol
  • Wildgirl10
    Options
    have high protein snacks..nuts, chex mix, bananas, apples..things that you don't have to prepare. I made easy ham and veggie soup to take with me to work all week for lunch. So healthy and yummy and filling. I have three kids, work full-time and excersise 7 days a week and go to the gym another 2-3 times for strength training. Weigh loss is a lifestyle change..hang in there girl!
  • Wildgirl10
    Options
    This is me too!!!
  • Wildgirl10
    Options

Yes this is very true!! I have been between a size 12-16 all my life and I reached 211lbs with little diference in appearance. However once I started working out im losing inches and the scales barely budges!! get a measuring tape or use a shoestring to help gauage your progress . the scale is a liar lol

This is me too..I gave up on the damn scale and use a tape measure..that and pictures are telling the whole story!!