Protein Powder for weight loss??

Options
Does protein powder help with weight loss or does it only help to gain muscle?!

Replies

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It's typically more for muscle repair and shouldn't really be used as a meal replacement to lose weight. That's more along the lines of the Slimfast stuff.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    it can help with both but your diet needs to be right for your goals
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    I've been taking a protein shake since last may. I bought the wheybolic ones from GNC (Chocolate flavored..yum) & every morning I mix ONE SCOOP with skim milk. I talked to the employee, the serving size is 3 scoops, but for women who want weight loss she suggested one scoop. I have lost weight when I started this (also keeps me full longer) & I didn't "bulk up" lol. I don't use it as a meal replacement, but after my morning workout it's my breakfast with some fruit on the side, sometimes oatmeal or peanut butter toast too. It also supposedly helps me from being sore and helps the muscles. i'd recommend them!
  • Danielle8706
    Danielle8706 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After my workouts I make a shake with whey protein powder I got at GNC. I've been doing it fir about two weeks im loosing weight and I don't feel so sore after workouts.
  • billmc22
    billmc22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a dairy based protein, some of you have it correct in that it is the building blocks of muscle repair. When you workout you are creating microscopic tears in your muscles. It is critical in the first 1-1.5 hours after a workout to get in the nutrients that your body needs. You need to get the protein in as well as complex carbohydrates to restore glycogen stores in the muscles for protein uptake. TOO MUCH protein in a daily diet is bad as well. It takes more energy to use protein and burn it up as fuel so if you take in too much it will be stored as fat. As a meal replacement, yes it will fill you up faster and a high protein higher fat low carb diet is typically the best, you need other nutrients with it. I use Shakeology for this, it is proven and is a 98/100 on foodfacts.com for the healthiest thing on the planet, nothing ranks higher. Message me for more details.