Energy boosters?

Options
I work 6a-2p and no matter how hard I try, I can't fall asleep until 11:30-12:ish, giving me 4-5 hours of sleep. Then when I come home I want to nap, but then I know there's no chance of me getting to bed. Does anyone know of any good energy boosters I can try to give me the little pep I need to workout?

Replies

• B_Steppuhn
    B_Steppuhn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm right along with ya I work same hours and just drag after work
  • BekahLuv
    BekahLuv Posts: 164
    Options
    Somedays I can do it. Yesterday I went to my local track and got a good work out in. Today, I just don't have the energy to get started :( Plus my feet HURT.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Usually the workout itself is the energy booster for me. I get through a good warm up and I'm good to go. Also makes it so it's really easy to fall asleep at night too.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Usually the workout itself is the energy booster for me. I get through a good warm up and I'm good to go. Also makes it so it's really easy to fall asleep at night too.

This.

I've actually stopped taking any sort of energy boosters since I started working out...and I sleep better than EVER!!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    JACK3D and protein shakes helps me. Also B12
  • BekahLuv
    Options
    I don't have the energy to even get started... but I must!
  • BekahLuv
    Options
    Is it better to have a protein shake before or after a workout?
  • Danielle8706
    Danielle8706 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I take 2 B12 a day about an hour after I take them I have enough energy to workout and get some cleaning done.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Green Tea Pills 30 min before a workout
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Is it better to have a protein shake before or after a workout?

Protein shakes are overrated, I think. I prefer real protein from meat or nuts or something, not from a powder. Workout right when you get home. Don't let yourself become all demotivated. Also, part of the problem may be in what you are or are not eating. Believe it or not, carbohydrates are the bodies primary source of energy and if you're not getting enough, the body generally doesn't like you very much. I've heard the ration of 4 carbs for every 1 protein following a workout and it's worked well for me.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Ugh I used to work a three shift cycle and I hated those 6-2 shifts. I feel for you, they really are draining. I remember sitting around in the afternoons wanting to get stuff done but being so incapable so I would just put the tv on and wait for the sun to go down.

I wouldn't bother trying any of the gimmicky energy pills and drinks that are out there. At best they're loaded with sugar and at worst they're downright dangerous.

Reducing your intake of refined carbs and sugars might help to level out blood sugar spikes that can make you crash afterwards. But replace them with some complex carbs for slower release of glucose. If you take your carbs too low you'll have no energy whatsoever.

Protein early in the day (e.g. eggs, fish or a whey protein shake etc.) for breakfast may help with more consistent energy levels throughout the day. It will also help make your feel more sated.

A carb snack an hour or so before you want to work out might give you a nice perk. Try a banana - 27g of fairly fast release carbs but wrapped up in all the good micronutrients and fiber of a fruit.

This might sound nuts, but you could also consider working out before work. It would mean getting up around 4am, but it would certainly make it easier for you to get to sleep in the evenings.
  • mommy2two07
    mommy2two07 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    what is the dosage on the vitamin b's you take ?

the green tea pills in the diet pill section ?
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

the green tea pills in the diet pill section ?

I get them offline on amazon.com