Mud Run!

Options
A coworker and I have decided to sign up for our first mud run ever! We have 12 weeks until the big day. Has anyone done this? Any tips?

Replies

• ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention this, MY coworker is trying to put a team together to do one in June. I'm still debating on joining. Pretty sure I could handle the running in the mud part (I think it's a 3 mile run), but the 40 some obstacles along the way is freaking me out! Eager to see what responses you get! Good luck!

P.S. One of my BIG concerns is how do I get home when I'm all muddy? Can't see myself sitting on trashbags and stuff the whole way home.......
  • ashhills
    Options
    Looks like I may not get a reply. lots of posts today!

I do know that you should bring a towel or blanket with you and change while hiding behind it.
  • Heidihomelinda
    Heidihomelinda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I want to know too! I saw one in my area in September - You should post pictures if you do it - sounds like a blast!
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Interesting....where is the Mud Run you are entering?
  • ashhills
    Options
    It's in Washington, but I am in Oregon.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just commited to do one in june. Im nervous too but I know it will be tons of fun! What area are you in? Were in Dallas.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just commited to do one in june. Im nervous too but I know it will be tons of fun! What area are you in? Were in Dallas.

as I posted saw that your in orgeon. ive heard the obstacles arent too bad and that others help people get across them- umm I dodnt know how I would feel about being helped. I just dont wanna get in the way. But Ive never heard someone do one and be dissapointed.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I did a Warrior Dash a month ago (see profile pic). Among mud runs, it's short (3 miles) so I didn't do much in terms of running before hand. It really worked my legs and glutes when it came to going through the mud and my course had about mile of sand running. So I'd recommend some plyometric type workouts. I'm currently doing Insanity and that probably would have helped if I had done it beforehand. One thing I got from it, is don't wear anything white or ever plan on having anything white ever be white again. My socks went through the wash with bleach a few times and forever have a light grey to them. And definitely bring towel, soap, change of clothes and shoes, and a bag for your dirty clothes.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    There's one in my area in July.. Spartan Race. Definitely my kind of race! :laugh:

If you do a search on the MFP forum, you will find a few trades about it, and there's a lot of videos on you tube.
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an ad for a mud run too, in Wisconsin and remember that is was a BLAST in college, thinking of joining in. It would be so much fun. Maybe a little less alcohol involved this time tho.
  • PHWOMPA
    PHWOMPA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of my goals since I turned over the new leaf last September is to complete one of these. I see the Spartan will be early in June. I've dropped almost 70 lbs and completed my first 10K (trail) in 16 years, that's my pic. I just wonder, in addition to better conditioning, how much upper body work I need to do over the next 4 months.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Mud runs are really fun and exciting, but very very MUDDY as is expected. The obstacles were not that bad. I was on a team with 3 of my good friends, one of which is very out of shape and did not prepare at all. Even she made it through everything so it is definitely doable. Especially with determination! I simply ran every day, some balancing acts were involved in the obstacles so you may want to work on tightening your core and such so you can control your body. Also, biggest tip I can give is not to wear contacts. I wore mine and got mud in my eye with the first splash into the mud. I then got an eye infection. And definitely wear old clothes and bring a change of clothes as well as something to clean up with.
  • ashhills
    Options
    I did a Warrior Dash a month ago (see profile pic). Among mud runs, it's short (3 miles) so I didn't do much in terms of running before hand. It really worked my legs and glutes when it came to going through the mud and my course had about mile of sand running. So I'd recommend some plyometric type workouts. I'm currently doing Insanity and that probably would have helped if I had done it beforehand. One thing I got from it, is don't wear anything white or ever plan on having anything white ever be white again. My socks went through the wash with bleach a few times and forever have a light grey to them. And definitely bring towel, soap, change of clothes and shoes, and a bag for your dirty clothes.

That is an awesome profile pic!!! I hope I can get a good picture. lol! It's a mud and ash run (haha, like my name), there is a mountain of ash we have to get up....and then down again.

I was told to make sure that I'm not expecting to ever wear the clothes again. Should I go to Goodwill and buy a pair of used old shoes or wear my good ones?