Options

Replies

• Legalchica
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA I swear that said Panties when i clicked it
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    You can make them yourself and they're not too bad.
    http://kimmerfits.blogspot.com/2012/02/recipe-review-pasties.html

Oh thank you so much for posting that! I love pasties and didn't figure there was a "healthier" option. Definitely plan to try these!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Many people are going to click here for one thing and instead learn a little something about English food.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    For the inevitable US/British English confusion:

US definition of a pasty - a small fabric or plastic circle that goes over the nipple - either to conceal it beneath clothing when not wearing a bra, or as an exhibition piece. Not for eating. Or maybe, if you're lucky/adventurous....

Brit/Aussie/otherwise post-colonial definition: a flaky pastry shell with vegetable and meat filling - like a calzone made from puff pastry.

The Brit/Aussie version is also quite popular in some parts of the midwest...particularly the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Haven't had one since I was a kid, but they are delish! :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I like the US definition best...
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You can make them yourself and they're not too bad.
    http://kimmerfits.blogspot.com/2012/02/recipe-review-pasties.html

Thanks for posting this link. I can't wait to share it with my hubby so hopefully he will make them (his way, and clean). Haven't had a pasty in awhile....they are common here in northern Wisconsin. There's even a small restaurant in Rhinelander, WI, that has a ton of varieties....breakfast ones (with egg, sausage, cheese, potatoes, etc......sooooo good), Greek ones (with Feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, ground lamb), a bunch of other ones, but still love the regular ones (without those disgusting rutabagas....LOL)
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    SO BUMMED!!!!!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    false advertising, I was expecting to see pictures a la Janet Jackson.

<
    Here is Janet for YOU! ;-)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Take some of this:
    262911.jpg

Add a couple of these:
    1477.jpg
    Voila - homemade pasties!

Oh wait - that's not what the OP meant. Sorry about that.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For the inevitable US/British English confusion:

US definition of a pasty - a small fabric or plastic circle that goes over the nipple - either to conceal it beneath clothing when not wearing a bra, or as an exhibition piece. Not for eating. Or maybe, if you're lucky/adventurous....

Brit/Aussie/otherwise post-colonial definition: a flaky pastry shell with vegetable and meat filling - like a calzone made from puff pastry.

Well what do you expect from a county that eats spotted d...

You know. I just didn't want to get the thread locked. But seriously, is that a real dish or was that made up for the movies?
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    They aren't even pronounced the same. As my mom said back in the 70's, "PAST-ies are what you eat. PASTE-ies are what Brooke Shields wore in The Blue Lagoon."
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I won't make my homemade pastys anymore cause I know how terrible they are for you haha :(
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    all of you confused people clearly did not read/watch harry potter :P

*high five*
  • deejay7806
    deejay7806 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiYhOzWtmrI42YKt8W1xUtpA9_LThD87FdlnnUtPsFpgocgf2uheheheh loved this....did make me laff...as didnt no wot the us version of pasty was...but i have to point out....that pasties are not english.....they ARE CORNISH.... i no cause i live in cornwall..... and a bit of history 2 go wiv it.....years n rears ago the miners in cornwall would take pasties down the mine...they would have thick crimpin aling the edge do they could hold them....one end was savory and the other end was sweet.... then when they had eaten the pasty they would throw away the crust.....
  • deejay7806
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiYhOzWtmrI42YKt8W1xUtpA9_LThD87FdlnnUtPsFpgocgf2uheheheh loved this....did make me laff...as didnt no wot the us version of pasty was...but i have to point out....that pasties are not english.....they ARE CORNISH.... i no cause i live in cornwall..... and a bit of history 2 go wiv it.....years n rears ago the miners in cornwall would take pasties down the mine...they would have thick crimpin aling the edge do they could hold them....one end was savory and the other end was sweet.... then when they had eaten the pasty they would throw away the crust.....images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiYhOzWtmrI42YKt8W1xUtpA9_LThD87FdlnnUtPsFpgocgf2u
  • deejay7806
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiYhOzWtmrI42YKt8W1xUtpA9_LThD87FdlnnUtPsFpgocgf2uheheheh loved this....did make me laff...as didnt no wot the us version of pasty was...but i have to point out....that pasties are not english.....they ARE CORNISH.... i no cause i live in cornwall..... and a bit of history 2 go wiv it.....years n rears ago the miners in cornwall would take pasties down the mine...they would have thick crimpin aling the edge do they could hold them....one end was savory and the other end was sweet.... then when they had eaten the pasty they would throw away the crust.....images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiYhOzWtmrI42YKt8W1xUtpA9_LThD87FdlnnUtPsFpgocgf2u

oh and i forgot 2 say......they are absolutely delicious...if made properly....... awww could eat 1 now mmmmm mouth watering hehehe !!!! :-)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Yes spotted **** is a real thing. And its freaking good! The dish. Spotted weeners would be an issue for me to go near.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Yes spotted **** is a real thing. And its freaking good! The dish. Spotted weeners would be an issue for me to go near.
    They would have to spend an awful lot of time in the sun to get freckles THERE
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yummm... we're former 'trolls' (used to live in Michigan's lower penninsula, 'under' the bridge) who are now right across the river from 'da UP. :bigsmile:

Gotta make pasties sometime. They're big up here, they were the staple lunch for miners in the area. Sometimes fruit was cooked into half of the pasty, so there would be a lunch end and a dessert end.

Thanks to the previous poster for the recipe, I'll have to play around to see if I can get a healthier version by switching to half or more whole wheat flour and subbing some chicken/turkey sausage for some of the beef/pork. I don't think my hubby will argue with me playing around the kitchen to make these, he's been wanting me to do some up for quite a while now!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm from a mining town in south dakota and they were hugely popular. we still eat them several times a year. :) my mom made 540 of them for my grandma's funeral.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_9acf3285-9ea4-50eb-a1f0-6e3d6dc482cb.html