Strength training

Options
So...why doesn't MFP count strength training as burning calories? If I do a heavy lifting workout I am still burning calories but the site doesn't put it on my diary, so how do I know approximately how much I burned?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You can add weight or circuit or strength training under cardio to get the calories.
  • ShaunAndersonTX
    Options
    Its a little bit of an investment, but I recommend getting a heart-rate monitor. The website showed 64 min was 269 calories of cardio. My HRM put 64 min at 731 calories. You get a much better, more realistic number and it's a great motivator to push you when you're dragging *kitten*. It will also help dialing in your calories for proper weight gain/loss.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Its a little bit of an investment, but I recommend getting a heart-rate monitor. The website showed 64 min was 269 calories of cardio. My HRM put 64 min at 731 calories. You get a much better, more realistic number and it's a great motivator to push you when you're dragging *kitten*. It will also help dialing in your calories for proper weight gain/loss.

HRM don't work for weight lifting.
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    why doesn't a HRM work with weight lifting
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

HRM don't work for weight lifting.
    [/quote]

Depends on how you are lifting. Circuit training, P90X, and the like will certainly elevate your heartrate and keep it elevated. A HRM is effective if you have an elevated heartrate. If you take long breaks between sets and your heartrate remains relatively low, a HRM is less accurate.
  • vabrewer33
    Options
    I am trying some new strength exercises I found on NerdFitness...I will try to do them in quick succession and keep my heart rate up. Thanks guys!