Low on my calorie intake what do i do?

Options

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Easy, protein shake in the afternoon and in the evening........boosts your calories and your body doesnt digest protein calories into fat so Protein all the way !!

So I can eat all the protein I want and never get fat? Count me in!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You should try to plan out your meals & snacks the night before, it will help to circumvent this problem, if you want to call it that. I would at least plan out your proteins and then build the rest around that. For now...eat a 1000 calorie dinner trying to get your macronutrients to stay within line with your plan.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I've always thought of protein shakes as a tool for bulking up...but that was based on seeing people drinking them who are trying to bulk up. I just assumed it was meant for that...I'm wrong I'm guessing?

Protein shakes are just a delivery vehicle. if you eat twenty of them- then yep you'll bulk up. You'll have to get rid of a deficit to bulk anyway so stay within your cals and it's fine.

I use meal replacement shakes and protein shakes to help me meet my cals. Replacement shakes I use have 300 cals while the protein ones have under 175. Bars vary but are super easy to get down.
  • mandanicole92
    mandanicole92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started this too and I've been finding myself having the same problem. I'll go over on the fat or protein but be way under the calorie. I'm going to do some research and see if maybe eating more fruit would increase my calorie intake without making me go over on the other stuff.

Good luck!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    do not eat unless your hungry, I would lower my net calorie goal to match what are eating. protein bar=200 calories, true north nut clusters=170 calories, yogurt.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Easy, protein shake in the afternoon and in the evening........boosts your calories and your body doesnt digest protein calories into fat so Protein all the way !!

Uh oh, wait until the anti low carbers get a hold of that one!
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    almost a daily problem for me as well. I am stuck in an accadamy at the moment and don't have a choice on what to eat M-F and refuse to eat junk. I find it very hard to make the basic needs some days. After my workouts tonight I have 900 calories burned and 1 pack of oatmeal to get till my morning workout. I find most of the time I'm not even hungry for the extras and have to force down food late in the day to try and make the numbers. If you can snack on healthy food all day I would recomend that above all else. Nuts, Fruit, Veggies, Yougert, Cottage cheese, Things like that will add to you count, help keep you full, and if done right add to the macro numbers at the same time.
  • alyssaxonestel
    Options
    I had some almond butter in a strawberry blueberry smoothie :) thank you everyone so much i'll be sure to make a post next time i have a question by the way has anyone tried the apple cider vinegar in the water?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Interesting idea...anyone else have thoughts on this?

I've always thought of protein shakes as a tool for bulking up...but that was based on seeing people drinking them who are trying to bulk up. I just assumed it was meant for that...I'm wrong I'm guessing?

No, they are for anyone who has a hard time hitting their protein macro or calorie levels with food alone.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Just eat what feels good for dinner. There is nothing wrong with having additional calories left over at the end of the day. For example, my goal caloric intake is 1500 (500 under what my body metabolizes. But I usually do a 600+ calorie workout. Most days I have 500 additional calories left at the end of the day. This just doubles the rate at which I'm losing because I'm still consuming enough that my body doesn't go into "starvation mode."

Eat your normal dinner, wait a little bit. If you're still hungry, make snack. There are no rules that say you must consume your calories!

Oh, and I focus on the weekly deficit more than the daily deficit because if I keep that much of a cushion all week, then I can eat a bit on the weekend without worrying.

There is such a think as "too large" of a deficit. This can slow your weight loss, make you miserable, and generally it just sucks.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Interesting idea...anyone else have thoughts on this?

No, they are for anyone who has a hard time hitting their protein macro or calorie levels with food alone.

I have a hard time eating all my calories so shakes and bars are needed I just get the healthiest one.
  • katzblood
    Options
    Eat 1000 calorie dinner?

this :)
  • katzblood
    Options
    almost a daily problem for me as well. I am stuck in an accadamy at the moment and don't have a choice on what to eat M-F and refuse to eat junk. I find it very hard to make the basic needs some days. After my workouts tonight I have 900 calories burned and 1 pack of oatmeal to get till my morning workout. I find most of the time I'm not even hungry for the extras and have to force down food late in the day to try and make the numbers. If you can snack on healthy food all day I would recomend that above all else. Nuts, Fruit, Veggies, Yougert, Cottage cheese, Things like that will add to you count, help keep you full, and if done right add to the macro numbers at the same time.

this too. Mmm snacks. I like raisens & popcorn.
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Just eat what feels good for dinner. There is nothing wrong with having additional calories left over at the end of the day. For example, my goal caloric intake is 1500 (500 under what my body metabolizes. But I usually do a 600+ calorie workout. Most days I have 500 additional calories left at the end of the day. This just doubles the rate at which I'm losing because I'm still consuming enough that my body doesn't go into "starvation mode."

Eat your normal dinner, wait a little bit. If you're still hungry, make snack. There are no rules that say you must consume your calories!

Oh, and I focus on the weekly deficit more than the daily deficit because if I keep that much of a cushion all week, then I can eat a bit on the weekend without worrying.

There is such a think as "too large" of a deficit. This can slow your weight loss, make you miserable, and generally it just sucks.

I will kindly agree and disagree at the same time. What is a large deficit? I can understand if the person is doing marathon training and eating 1200 calories thats a no brainer but for the average person who lifts heavy 2-3 times a week and does some type of cardio couple times a week I really do not think there is a problem eating according to a depressed appetite IE lack of appetite or just plain not hungry.

I know people who live on a 1500 calorie diet and train hard and stay lean all year long. I also know people who train heavy eat like pigs and just bulk up just because of what the calculator says.

I also know people who have lost 100 plus pounds built a decent amount of muscle and as intense as they do train they gain on anything more then 1800 calories.

I think its all individual and I applaud those who can eat and enjoy! I sure am not going to kill myself to eat more food because of my exercise LOL.

Some people will understand me and some will not. ;)
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Eat 1000 calorie dinner?

this :)

Not that easy if your looking to eat healthfully or non stop for a while in my opinion. Now give me a small pizza thats 1000 calories and I can do it but that just brings on further bodily chemistry responses like hunger after wards with some people.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

So I can eat all the protein I want and never get fat? Count me in!

That was my thought as well. If I slurp up 15,000 calories from protein shakes, the excess calories won't be stored as fat? What will they be stored as? Certainly not protein as all excess calories get stored as fat.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a waste of money. Just go have a healthy meal and enjoy it.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It doesn't even have to be a terribly healthy 1,000 calories. Honestly, if I had a good day, and did a workout, and had 1,000 cals to use on dinner - I'd have hotwings and beer.

YUP THIS
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy meal and enjoy it. Try to balance your calories out throughout the day. Better to have a bit more for breakfast and lunch. Not such a good idea to have a huge/calorie rich meal in the evening - your body will just end up storing the energy as fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Open mouth, insert food, chew, swallow, repeat?