Here we go :)

Options
So I made a New Year's resolution to get fit this year - I'm finally determined to hunker down and lose 50 pounds!

Unfortunately I don't know my exact weight or height (it's around 5'4" or so!) but I am definitely overweight and I'm going to change that. I know from the past that although weight can creep up on me without me paying attention, even the smallest amount of healthy eating and even just regular walking will help bring it down again. I'm generally a very lazy person but will be walking for at least one hour per day, as well as 10-15 minutes on the rower. I'll be getting a manual treadmill ASAP, just for the days that I can't bring myself to get out of the apartment.

I'm a little curious though - I've always wanted to join a gym as I completely love exercise! However, I'm a life-long putter-upper of social anxiety disorder and the thought of actually doing anything more than just walking in front of other people literally chills me with fear. I would absolutely love to hear from other folks with S.A.D. who've managed to find ways around this!

Long post is long but one more thing :) How do/did you deal with the impatience of wanting too see results right away? I know a change of diet and exercise will help, but well...I guess I'm just impatient haha!

Replies

• aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Within a few weeks I had a noticeable improvement in my energy level which in turn made me happier. Even my family noticed. This kept me going until the scale and pants size started to move.

I do not have SAD, well never diagnosed, but I hate other people watching me too. However, if you really look at the people around you- NO ONE IS LOOKING. They are all so busy looking at themselves, trying to work out correctly or even talking to friends that you have nothing to really worry about. Shop around for a gym where regular people work out like the YMCA, or ask around for a place with only women.

Good Luck!
  • camry186
    camry186 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site this past weekend and I am going to the gym 3-5 times a week. I do not have SAD and I am here to support you in your efforts to get healthy. I am going to the gym to get in shape and be healthy and so is everyone else. Never feel embarresed about how you look. You are making an effort and that is a "Great" thing. I go to Planet Fitness and work out 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours a day if you have a planet fitness around you they have free fitness trainers that will show you how to use the equipment and answer any question you could ever have.

This site is great that you can track you progress daily on food exercise and measure ments. and I say go to your local walmart and use one of their scales to weigh yourself!!! Good luck!
  • LesiaBravel
    LesiaBravel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have SAD something awful and I hate it but I had to force myself to do things and get out. I also have day light bulbs all throughout my house which helps me a lot.

I got a 2 year gym membership to 24 hr Fitness for Christmas and at first I was so embarrassed and scared to go, but after only a few weeks I am in there daily. I run on the treadmill, I do weight machines, I take a exercise class daily and a pool workout class 4 times a week. The gym turned out to not be the scarey place I had made it out to be in my mind. This gift was a true gift because it got me out of the house and moving my body.