Low on my calorie intake what do i do?

Options
13»

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public so I can't make specific suggestions. In general, look at what you are eating and look for ways to up the calories by switching out items for higher calorie options. Things like swap non-fat for low-fat. Whole eggs for egg whites. Add almonds to your salad for extra calories and protien. If you aren't hungry you don't want to eat just because...that's how you got here. So find ways to work the numbers without adding snacks for the sake of eating more!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Open mouth, insert food, chew, swallow, repeat?

This is the best advice yet. If I had 1000 calories left for the day I'd probably make myself a bacon cheeseburger. High in protein and delicious.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Eat 1000 calorie dinner?

this :)

Not that easy if your looking to eat healthfully or non stop for a while in my opinion. Now give me a small pizza thats 1000 calories and I can do it but that just brings on further bodily chemistry responses like hunger after wards with some people.

Excellent response. Eat according to appetite - not what some computer program says. As long as you are consuming enough top quality food, ( fresh, and clean with adequate protein and fat as well as vegetables,and you are no longer hungry - why would you go on to stuff yourself and feel uncomfortable? Or eat junk food because the computer says a certain number is left over?
    Get back to listening to your body. We all know when we are truly hungry . We all know when we are too full.
    Our instinct beats a computer program hands down in my opinion.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Eat 1000 calorie dinner?

this :)

Not that easy if your looking to eat healthfully or non stop for a while in my opinion. Now give me a small pizza thats 1000 calories and I can do it but that just brings on further bodily chemistry responses like hunger after wards with some people.

Excellent response. Eat according to appetite - not what some computer program says. As long as you are consuming enough top quality food, ( fresh, and clean with adequate protein and fat as well as vegetables,and you are no longer hungry - why would you go on to stuff yourself and feel uncomfortable? Or eat junk food because the computer says a certain number is left over?
    Get back to listening to your body. We all know when we are truly hungry . We all know when we are too full.
    Our instinct beats a computer program hands down in my opinion.

They'll take over some day.. I just know it.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It doesn't even have to be a terribly healthy 1,000 calories. Honestly, if I had a good day, and did a workout, and had 1,000 cals to use on dinner - I'd have hotwings and beer.

^^^ Same or I'd have half a homemade pizza and ben n Jerry . As longs as if it fits in your macros (IIFYM)& IF.
  • athensguy
    Options
    Easy, protein shake in the afternoon and in the evening........boosts your calories and your body doesnt digest protein calories into fat so Protein all the way !!

Uh oh, wait until the anti low carbers get a hold of that one!
    It could be worse. The people that understand that protein is stored as fat if there is a calorie surplus might show up.
  • SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I am low on my calorie intake I look to see where I am falling short...protein?, carbs?, Fat?...etc.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Two words: Peanut butter! Seriously, it's magic happiness that can be enjoyed on a spoon. Do it!!!
  • athensguy
    Options
    I usually reserve enough calories for one or two beers.

If after dinner I still have calories, I'll eat things like peanut butter sandwiches, nut mixes, oatmeal, and fruit.
  • peaches712799
    peaches712799 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    your so lucky! Wish I had this problem at dinner time! I would say to use them to eat some high calorie healthy foods you may not be able to get on other days like peanut butter, whole grain pasta, almonds, and also tonight would be a great night to drink orange juice or a fruit juice with calories since you can afford it!
    Just dont eat fatty foods. Try Quinoa or Long grain brown rice!

Actually, you DO want to eat fatty foods, as long as they are healthy fats, such as avocado, nuts, olive oil. These types of fats actually help you burn your body fat, faster. Our body needs a certain amount of healthy fat to work properly (just like your car needs oil, or the engine breaks down).

Other than that, I agree with everyone - eat 'em!
  • samhelen
    Options
    Easy, protein shake in the afternoon and in the evening........boosts your calories and your body doesnt digest protein calories into fat so Protein all the way !!

Interesting idea...anyone else have thoughts on this?

I've always thought of protein shakes as a tool for bulking up...but that was based on seeing people drinking them who are trying to bulk up. I just assumed it was meant for that...I'm wrong I'm guessing?

There are all kinds of protein shakes out there -- some are used for bulking up but they're generally shakes with A LOT of calories -- and some with around 190-225 calories it just depends on the brand and the nutritional content.
  • rubycube86
    rubycube86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too sometimes. Today I had around 700 calories left. And that was AFTER pigging out on half a Galaxy bar. Might as well have had the full bar! It made me feel sick though which is good really considering I used to eat too much chocolate. I'm eating my three meals a day so it looks like I need to perhaps get more snacks in.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    Protein shakes are a waste of money. Just go have a healthy meal and enjoy it.

How do you figure they are a waste of money? They are a great way to ensure you are getting enough protein in your diet. I mix 2 scoops of 100% whey protein with water post-training, and another 2 scoops mixed with skim milk at night pre-bed.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

How do you figure they are a waste of money? They are a great way to ensure you are getting enough protein in your diet. I mix 2 scoops of 100% whey protein with water post-training, and another 2 scoops mixed with skim milk at night pre-bed.

^^^ THIS!!!
  • auditorz
    Options

Your body converts any excess calories to fat period. The human body can convert carbs to fat, it can convert protein to fat, and it can store fat as fat. If you eat 200 more calories then you burn you will gain weight regardless of the macro-nutrient ratio.

Now, if you don't get sufficient protein, you will lose muscle mass and lower you're daily metabolism. That is why sufficient protein intake is especially critical for people in a caloric deficit. As you continue to lose body fat you would like to maintain your metabolish, the only way to do this is to maintain muscle mass. Resitance training and sufficient protein intake are the best way to accomplish this goal.

You see so many people lose weight at first but then eventually gain it all back. They lose too much muscle mass during their caloric deficit, which causes their metabolism to be lowered, which causes them to have to eat even less to stay in a deficit and lose weight. This becomes a vicious cycle which makes continued weight loss more and more difficult. Eventually the dieter is basically having to starve themself to lose weight and they can't help but eventually give in to the human craving for food.

Eat at a slight caloric deficit. Consume adequate protein every day. Do resistence training every week. Those are the only requirements needed for fat loss.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I didnt have dinner yet

Here's a stretch:

Have dinner.
  • auditorz
    Options

Yes, protein shakes are a convenient way to hit macro targets. I aim to get my daily protein from real food, preferably fish, salmon, eggs, chicken, some red meats. I have protein shakes when I won’t be able to hit my targets with normal meals. I buy lactose free protein with no sweeteners or artificial ingredients. The only ingredient is 100% whey isolate.

Whey has a complete amino acid profile, so you get all essential components of protein. Some protein sources such as soy don’t have all the necessary amino acids people need so it shouldn’t be anybodies only source of protein.
  • 2012party
    Options

Your body converts any excess calories to fat period. The human body can convert carbs to fat, it can convert protein to fat, and it can store fat as fat. If you eat 200 more calories then you burn you will gain weight regardless of the macro-nutrient ratio.

Now, if you don't get sufficient protein, you will lose muscle mass and lower you're daily metabolism. That is why sufficient protein intake is especially critical for people in a caloric deficit. As you continue to lose body fat you would like to maintain your metabolish, the only way to do this is to maintain muscle mass. Resitance training and sufficient protein intake are the best way to accomplish this goal.

You see so many people lose weight at first but then eventually gain it all back. They lose too much muscle mass during their caloric deficit, which causes their metabolism to be lowered, which causes them to have to eat even less to stay in a deficit and lose weight. This becomes a vicious cycle which makes continued weight loss more and more difficult. Eventually the dieter is basically having to starve themself to lose weight and they can't help but eventually give in to the human craving for food.

Eat at a slight caloric deficit. Consume adequate protein every day. Do resistence training every week. Those are the only requirements needed for fat loss.

Well said!!
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options

Yes, protein shakes are a convenient way to hit macro targets. I aim to get my daily protein from real food, preferably fish, salmon, eggs, chicken, some red meats. I have protein shakes when I won’t be able to hit my targets with normal meals. I buy lactose free protein with no sweeteners or artificial ingredients. The only ingredient is 100% whey isolate.

Whey has a complete amino acid profile, so you get all essential components of protein. Some protein sources such as soy don’t have all the necessary amino acids people need so it shouldn’t be anybodies only source of protein.

No one said it should be her, or their only source of protein. I aim to get most of my protein from whole foods as well. I do, however, drink water with 100% whey isolate protein after training to aid in muscle recovery.....it conveniently also helps up my protein intake for the day. I do agree if she is 1000 calories under her daily goal, then she should in fact go eat a healthy, high protein meal. But getting extra protein in your diet, if you need it, through a protein shake isn't really a waste of money......unless you were referring to one of those pre-made meal replacement shakes you can buy in a 4 pack from your local grocer, then I agree.
  • alyssaxonestel
    Options
    I didnt have dinner yet

Here's a stretch:

Have dinner.

Thanks! that one really helped !!!