Detoxing?

Options
How do you feel about detoxing? I'm thinking about doing one next month. I'm interested in the Master Cleanse. Any success stories or not so successful stories?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Most detox diets are more hype than help. And expensive too! The only detox I tend to do is to get off refined sugar if I am unable to keep resisting cravings for sweets. And that by just not using ANYTHING sweetened by sugar or corn syrup of any variety. And drinking lots of water. I've had much success with drinking lots of water. And that's basically free! Much easier to come by, and so much more effective than any "cleanse" I've heard of.
  • yestowellness
    yestowellness Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Most detox diets are more hype than help. And expensive too! The only detox I tend to do is to get off refined sugar if I am unable to keep resisting cravings for sweets. And that by just not using ANYTHING sweetened by sugar or corn syrup of any variety. And drinking lots of water. I've had much success with drinking lots of water. And that's basically free! Much easier to come by, and so much more effective than any "cleanse" I've heard of.
    Thanks
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think it is super important! I just started one last week that goes for 30 days and it is an herbal detox. Everytime you force your body into a losing state you are opening yourself up to stored toxins in fat being released into your blood stream. Many people will get a cold or just feel yucky because their immune system can be down because of the toxins.

The hard part is finding a cleanse that works well for you if you haven't done one before. I prefer to go to a reputable health food store and chat with folks that have tried the different ones they are selling. Then do some research online about the different herbs contained and check with your doctor or naturopath if you are on other prescriptions.

Personally I don't think you should use a detox to lose weight. Its purpose is to prepare your body for the process and encourage overall health. But its not worth anything if you are going to keep consuming garbage.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think it is super important! I just started one last week that goes for 30 days and it is an herbal detox. Everytime you force your body into a losing state you are opening yourself up to stored toxins in fat being released into your blood stream. Many people will get a cold or just feel yucky because their immune system can be down because of the toxins.

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Can you point to any scientific evidence that these actually are of any benefit whatsoever? (Data, not anecdotes)
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have done a Wild Rose Herbal D-tox Kit a few times. I like it a lot more so because it makes me eat healthy otherwise I wasted 30 bucks. The most recent cleanse I have done was following the book Clean by Dr Junger. It has been the best so far and there are no pills to pop. You can buy a Clean kit or just follow the diet which is what I did. I feel silly calling it a cleanse and only doing it for 21 days because really we shouldn't be eating garbage anyhow. I wish I could just eat clean all of the time. Clean is juicing 2 meals per day and eating only whole foods at dinner.
    MY results from cleansing is overall better health. My back pain is gone, my skin is clear, and soft! I have chronic dry skin but when I did Clean after 2 weeks I was not dry at all, my hair was so soft as well. I felt so good, body feels lighter, head is clear. Why can't I make myself eat only whole foods all the time I do not know. I don't think the juicing is necessary, eating the whole vegetables and fruits is good as well.
    Here is a link to the foods you can eat while on the Herbal D-Tox that I mentioned. Just following that will make you feel better.
    https://www.wrc.net/pdf/HerbalD-ToxChart.pdf
  • kaweenf
    kaweenf Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Can you point to any scientific evidence that these actually are of any benefit whatsoever? (Data, not anecdotes)

I can answer that

-- no, she can't.

(p.s. she used the term "naturopath" as being on even-footing with a doctor so, I think that about sums up the problem here)
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    Options

Take a look at all the years of research that Dr. Gerson has done. I am not saying a pill is the answer but if you have been eating total pesticide ridden crap for years I don't see how it can hurt.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    'Detoxing' is that what the kids are calling diarrhea these days?
  • kaweenf
    Options

Take a look at all the years of research that Dr. Gerson has done. I am not saying a pill is the answer but if you have been eating total pesticide ridden crap for years I don't see how it can hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Gerson

"Gerson's therapy has not been independently tested or subjected to randomized controlled trials, and thus is illegal to market in the United States."

"Attempts to independently check the results of the therapy have been negative. A group of 13 patients sickened by elements of the Gerson Therapy were evaluated in hospitals in San Diego in the early 1980s; all 13 were found to still have active cancer."

"The American Cancer Society reported that '[t]here is no reliable scientific evidence that Gerson therapy is effective in treating cancer, and the principles behind it are not widely accepted by the medical community. It is not approved for use in the United States.'"

.... seems legit
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    Options

I can answer that

-- no, she can't.

(p.s. she used the term "naturopath" as being on even-footing with a doctor so, I think that about sums up the problem here)

FYI: They can be doctors and much more well rounded ones at that.
  • kaweenf
    Options

I can answer that

-- no, she can't.

FYI: They can be doctors and much more well rounded ones at that.

FYI: Naturopaths, and anyone peddling alternative medicine are morons and should not be allowed to tell people how to handle their health, that's why actual doctors study and understand science, and go to medical school. If alternative medicine actually worked, it would be called medicine.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Haha
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    FYI: Naturopaths, and anyone peddling alternative medicine are morons and should not be allowed to tell people how to handle their health, that's why actual doctors study and understand science, and go to medical school. If alternative medicine actually worked, it would be called medicine.
    There are doctors that are both a M.D. and a N.D. Alternative medicine does work but most people are prescribed drugs because medical schools, hospitals and doctors are all funded by drug companies and there are usually rules in place dissuading doctors from prescribing alternative medicine. A lot of peoples degenerative illnesses could be remedied by vitamins and herbs.
  • yestowellness
    yestowellness Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Now that's funny!
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    Options
    There are doctors that are both a M.D. and a N.D. Alternative medicine does work but most people are prescribed drugs because medical schools, hospitals and doctors are all funded by drug companies and there are usually rules in place dissuading doctors from prescribing alternative medicine. A lot of peoples degenerative illnesses could be remedied by vitamins and herbs.

At least someone around here is forward thinking and not stuck in la-la land.