Strength Exercises do not count towards calories?

Options
Can someone explain the logic here? Livestrong was accounting for daily activities as simple as driving or Childcare. Just wondering the reasoning?

Replies

• puggypatti
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I did get credit for a deltoid exercise I did but that was the only one. You burn plenty of calories weight lifting. The system does let you keep track of machines and free weights it just doesn't give you extra calories. I would like to see this changed.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    look under cardio exercises, for strength training, weightlifting, or circuit training.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You get calories. Add "strength training" under cardio. If you want to track your individual exercises to watch your progress, you can add that in the strength section but to get calories add it in cardio. It is just an estimate though unless you have a HRM.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I agree as well. Would be nice to calculate that in.
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are far too many variables involved with strength training to be able to enter an accurate formula that would even come close to the calories burned. You can add them manually if you have a calorimeter.
  • jenbison
    Options
    This is what I did because strength training is a big part of my overall fitness. I googled strength training calories burned. Checked out some different sights and learned that I burn, for my height, weight, and age, approximately 126 calories for 30 minutes of regular strength training. Then I added that to cardio as my personal strength training and TA DUM!!
  • PHWOMPA
    PHWOMPA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the input!
  • kbasler79
    Options
    In the cardio section you can find weight training and add it in for calories
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i log my time as cardio but get the number from my HRM.

there are way to many variables to take into account to say with any degree of certainty how many calories someone is burning with strength training. for instance, all things being equal with gender age height and weight. one person doing 25 minutes of heavy lifting near their max will burn far more calories than someone working out for the same amount of time at weight nowhere near their max
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM for weight training and it comes in lower than the MFP estimate.