Untreated hypothyroidism.

Options
First of all, forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new to the website. =)

Almost a year ago I found out I had hypothyroidism, but I've never been able to get treatment for it due to lack of insurance. Luckily, I recently got a new job and in April my insurance will kick in so I can start. I gained 30lbs last year and it made me extremely depressed. I've started hitting the gym every day and eating a lot healthier, but I'm a bit worried my lack of treatment will inhibit me from progression. I've never had a weight problem before, so even that is new to me, but throw on this new health issue and I am completely lost. Any advice or hope?

Replies

• gish676
    Options
    Hi! I went a year trying to lose weight and doing everything right. I kept gaining. I did not have much to lose at the time but gained 30 lbs in a year. Then I went to the dr found out I had hypothyroid. I went n medication and the weight started to come off easier. Check out Andrea beamed. She speaks about eating healthy and how natural foods helped control her thyroid. For me unfortunately it is a side affect of another medication I take. Just get it checked regular I get blood work every three months. It will take time to lose it, but it took time to gain it. Have patience. I find now on medication when I lose it tends to be a higher number. Like 1 or 2 pounds. Not on med, not knowing there was a problem I gained or had .2 losses.

Good luck and have patience. : )
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I had untreated hypo for years, I gained a lot of weight, almost 80lbs over the years.

I would diet and exercise, and lose initially, then stall and would start to gain again.

The only help for me was the levothyroxine, they started me off on 25mg and am now on 100mg. It took a few months to get that right though.

I expected that the weight would just come off, it didn't, but as soon as I started dieting it did come off, I have now lost nearly 50lbs and its still coming off.

You just need to get treated, its only blood tests and medication, can't be that expensive?
  • gish676
    Options
    Oh I take Synthroid : )
  • gish676
    Options
    http://www.andreabeaman.com/health/about-andrea-beaman/

Read up on her she speaks about how to help control thyroid by the food we consume.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    i went undiagnosed for 10 years..and it did not hinder my weight loss once I was prescribed meds. I am on armour...the difference is armour is natural..where synthroid..is that..synthetic..
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Be careful going untreated for hypothyroidism. I went undiagnosed for a number of years and got so sick that it has taken me well over a year to get to feeling better. I was so incredibly sore that I could barely walk, my tongue swelled as did my hands and feet, I was exhausted, had bad brain fog and gained a lot of weight. I was very, very sick. I would hate for yours to get that bad.

I don't know how much the blood tests cost but you could call a few labs and ask the fee for a TSH test at least. My synthyroid costs $25.00 a month the generic version is $5.00. Your local health department may even be able to do that particular test. Just a thought. Two of my grown children don't have insurance and it is very hard, I know.
  • Starslight9
    Starslight9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get health insurance I will be able to get treatment for it, finally!! I feel caged constantly. It's awful. I'm just worried I won't be able to lose weight. I don't have a lot, just 30lbs, but it's still weight I want to lose.