Shift workers-Let's help each other keep on track!!

Hi guys. I am 53 and find diet and exercise a big struggle with my stressful job and it's shift work to boot. It's really hard to get in a routine working 12 hour shifts, days, afternoons, nights, weekends, stat holidays. It sucks!! Every time I start dieting and exercise it'll go along fine for a while and then just all of a sudden I lose all willpower possibly cause its so much more work getting healthy meals ready. I also have to watch my sodium due to high blood pressure.

Hoping to find others with the same issues so we can help motivate each other and discuss helpful ideas.

Replies

• EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    I feel ya! I work nearly every shift in a group home plus full time classes. We have a lot of programs that mandate exercises but finding time to fully work out is difficult. Usually I'm beat after work and just want to relax.
  • Cate1898
    Cate1898 Posts: 33 Member
    That's for sure. When I am working I am out of the house 14 hours which doesn't leave time for anything but sleep and get ready for work. Then when I have days off I am bagged for at least the first one!
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    I'm glad I found your post! I work 7pm-7am a week on and a week off in a hospital pharmacy. It's tough to keep track of the calories and get them in the correct day when you work shifts like that. I do a lot better at home keeping on track than at work!

Good luck!
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    This sounds great. I do a 6 week roster which has day, afternoon and night shift and apart from the night shift, the others are not in blocks. Can be up to 7 day shifts straight, also 3 afternoons followed by day shift the next day. We do find it hard to get into a routine and keep the energy levels up to do the gym, exercise or whatever. Think it will be great to be able to offer each other support and ideas. Ill send you an add
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    I work 12 hour shifts 6p-6a as a 911 dispatcher...and it's tough sitting here some days and being bored plus everyone else just eats what they wants
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    i work 12-8am. feel free to add me :-)
  • StatHaldol
    I find it hard to exercise the week I'm working. When I get off at 7am and go to the gym, then it takes a good while to settle down and go to sleep. When I wake up in the afternoon, I'm usually too worn out to do much of anything.
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    I find it hard to exercise the week I'm working. When I get off at 7am and go to the gym, then it takes a good while to settle down and go to sleep. When I wake up in the afternoon, I'm usually too worn out to do much of anything.

I understand that...I don't work out on my days I work b/c I have a 45 min drive to work and so I need my sleep
  • Cate1898
    Cate1898 Posts: 33 Member
    Ya I hear you. Nights really take it outta you. I didn't think it was good to exercise before going to bed?
  • MurphysLaw73
    MurphysLaw73 Posts: 6 Member
    Feel free to add me. I work manly 3p til 12 or so depending on business.
  • StatHaldol

I understand that...I don't work out on my days I work b/c I have a 45 min drive to work and so I need my sleep

I have the same problem, I drive 37 miles to work so it doesn't leave much time for sleep. I find that often I have time for a 30 minute walk but that's about it.
  • StatHaldol
    Ya I hear you. Nights really take it outta you. I didn't think it was good to exercise before going to bed?

If I get much exercise it's really tough to get to sleep.
  • Chanels_mom
    Chanels_mom Posts: 45 Member
    Hi everyone! I also work 12 hour shifts and need all the motivation I can get. I will most certainly encourage others in return...feel free to add me =)
  • Hi there, I work with a lot of 24 x7 operations and am interested to hear more about how you guys cope with shift work as the hours sometimes provided by organisations are so challenging to work and maintain a lifestyle that is acceptable....