In need of advise/help

Options
I have struggled with weight for several years. I have been doing weight watchers for months now. I did the new program for 7 months and didn't loose any weight. I tried atkins for 3 months and lost about 5 pounds, it was hard to stick to only these foods. Now I've been doing new WWatchers for 3 months and have lost nothing. I do eat a slice of wheat bread, snacks, or some chips. I count this in my points and use some of my weekly points each week. Please give me advice on what to do.

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with weight for several years. I have been doing weight watchers for months now. I did the new program for 7 months and didn't loose any weight. I tried atkins for 3 months and lost about 5 pounds, it was hard to stick to only these foods. Now I've been doing new WWatchers for 3 months and have lost nothing. I do eat a slice of wheat bread, snacks, or some chips. I count this in my points and use some of my weekly points each week. Please give me advice on what to do.

don't focus on somethign like WW, but focus on eating healthy foods and keeping your calorie intake down. Exercise. Log everything you eat here and log your exercise as well. Make your food diary public so others can see what you're eating and maybe give you some advice. Don't get down on yourself. Remember that it's a slow process.
  • VivianRosie
    VivianRosie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? For the past two years I have tried to become more active but have not lost weight because I was not reducing my calories and tracking them enough. This week I finally acknowledged that I need to exercise everyday to lose. I am finally ready to accept this and signed up with myfitnesspal because of the encouragement of a friend. It showed I needed to exercise and burn 308 calories a day. So far I am doing it by walking 40 minutes and then weight lifting or an additional short workout.
    Good luck, I'll be praying for you!
  • meredithd13
    Options
    hi,

unless you are one of the very rare people that has a metabolism/thyroid/medical type thing that prevents you losing weight, you are eating more calories than you are burning. it's that simple.

if you do MFP and keep the food diary, lots of experienced people on this site will help you with your food choices. i find it useful to eat the same sorts of foods each day - same sort of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snax. not exactly the same, as variety is the spice of life, but keeping it healthy 95 per cent of the time, and having the odd treat every now and then.

and think about what exercise you're doing, too. regular, with some intensity to get that heart rate up.

you can do it. you just have to cut out the crap food, do some exercise and watch your portion sizes.

md
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    Take a long hard look at how you eat and what time you eat. Then measure and track every single bite or sip you put in your body. Measure carefully and exactly. Tracking is huge to success. Perhaps track calories here also. Then compare. You may have to lower your intake a little. Also look at your exercise. It's also crucial to success. Try not to eat back exercise points or weekly points. If you gain one week have your leader go over your tracker with you. I am a 10 year WW veteran. I couldn't lose weight on the new points plus. I honestly feel it was too many points. I had lost (and gained) 60 lbs several times in that 10 years. Good luck!
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is simple math.. Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. This site helps you keep track of how many calories you consume and how many you burn by excercising. It really works if you are honest and track EVERYTHING! I have lost over 60 pounds using this site.

You will do great! Don't get discoyraged and don't give up. Start an excercise program that you can stick with. Just start by walking 30 minutes a day if you aren't doing anything now. Excercise will burn calories but it will eventually jump start your metabolism and you will burn more calories just sitting! Be patient ...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about the particular foods too much.

Try logging everything you eat on MFP for a few days and see how many calories you are taking in. Make sure you include fruit and veggies, I hear that they are "free" foods on WW but they do have calories so it's worth writing them down on MFP.

Add your exercise and see how many calories you are burning.
    If you can get those things to balance out, you should do OK.

If you are logging your food and exercise accurately for a month or so and don't see any change, then it is probably time to go see a doctor for some professional advice.
  • Ttricia64
    Options
    eat breakfast as your biggest meal...everyday. Eat snacks all throughout the day and get to your goal on calorie count...everyday. Then do minimal cardio--30 minutesX3 week and strength training for 30-45 min x3 week. If that fails geet a personal trainer...you MUST EAT BREAKFAST and throughout the day
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ditch the WW and stay here. Every time they change their program it gets harder and harder to follow and loose weight. I was on WW since 2003 and I was only successful with their very first program. Lost 50 lbs and then stopped logging. When I gained most of it back went back to WW but couldn't follow their newer program. Found this site and it is so much easier to use. Everyone here is very helpful and supportive. Like the other posters said, open your diary and you will get good feedback and suggestions.
  • moose9591
    moose9591 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for just over 35 days and my wife has been on for 46. I found by tracking my calories I wasn't eating enough. I followed the calorie recommended and eat back my exercise calories and have lost over 11 pounds. My wife makes sure she eats her calories and has lost 20 pounds. We eat a lot of home cooked meals and avoid boxed meals if possible. Don't give up!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I concur, using the MFP app is foolproof. Be honest, set up the program, and track everything that passes your lips, if you stay within the limits set for you you will lose weight. If not then you are one of the .00001% of the population that has a medical problem or you are lying to yourself.
    A few tips are,
    Set small goals, aim for 10 pounds, not 100, 100 pounds is too big, it's daunting, you lose a pound you are 1/10th of the way to achieving your 10 pound goal.
    Eat green, raw green vegetables.
    Cut out fruits until you get your sugar craving under control.
    Absolutely no, added sugar, white flour products, packaged/ processed food, deep fried, fast food, alcohol.
    Try and get moderate exercise.
    If you do this and stop lying to yourself you will lose weight and improve your health.