About to give up! Started 2 weeks ago and have lost ZERO pou

Options

Replies

• tlynkay178
    tlynkay178 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, it took years for you to gain the weight so it will take some effort getting the weight off. Just keep going full steam ahead and you should start seeing some results. I agree with the other post do your measurements too, because you could be losing inches.
  • skaboom163
    skaboom163 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the number on the scale so much. If you are working out you could be gaining muscle and that weighs more than fat. Also, if your calorie intake is too low, your body go into starvation mode, ie: metabolism will shut down. Also, pay attention to portion size. On the flip side, little things like stress and sleep certainly matter. High stress will keep fat on and so will not getting around 8 hours of sleep. Most importantly, stay positive, stick to it and soon the pounds will start melting away.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    2012dancingqueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are pretty amazing... i can't believe how encouraging this community is. I was thinking this morning... i could use a cupcake and screw this diet cuz it's doing nothing for me. But upon hearing your stories and motivating words I think i'll push forward and up this ginormous mountain. The task seems somewhat bearable knowing that i'm not climbing this mountain alone.

Please add me as a friend if you are one of those who could use mutual encouragement. I'm happy to give it too. (but don't add me as a friend just to add a number to your list - i'd like to be active on here. Thanks!) :flowerforyou:
  • skaboom163
    Options
    also, a healthy weight loss is around a half a pound a week...so do the math. You have been with it for 2 weeks? That would be about a pound? Pound and a half at most? Go pee and you might see your result he he... jk, hang in there!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me...I was eating around 1300 a day and exercising at least 30 min a day and there was nothing for three weeks, and BAM, I lost 4 pounds the fourth week. Just stick to it, easier said than done, I know!
  • skaboom163
    Options
    I have noticed that when you add your exercise it increases your daily calories. Which in effect is not going to help loose weight. If you have a set calorie count, the exercise is what will help you loose the weight, but if you are then eating the earned calories, in efffect you will stay the same. So my advise would be not to add the exercise. please correct me if im wrong or if i havent explained myself well.

Not totally true. When you exercise, you need to eat some of what you burn. Its all about balance. The total calorie number is what is recommended for healthy weight loss based on your weight. Focus on eating close to the full amount MFP gives you. If you burn 800 calories at the gym but don't add that in, your body could be eating 800 too few calories and will cause your body to go into starvation mode which will keep weight on. Just focus on keeping track of EVERYTHING you do during the day and it will create a happy balance.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    Overall it looks okay. Here's what I would say about your diary-try to be more consistent about filling it out completely. Including your water.

Don't give up after two weeks. In fact, most people do not see results that quickly. I didn't. You really need to give your body 4-6 weeks before you start expecting the scale to move. Before then, you should be able to see measurements changing, your body feeling better, and other changes within. The scale is not your only standard by which to measure. Don't give up.

Thanks encouraging... thank you!
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dont' give up! There is a lot of excellent advice so I am not giving any. Just wanted to share my experience.

I have been strength training since October 2011 with no weight loss at all. I have been on MFP for 25 days now but I didn't lose any in the first two weeks. But since then, I lost 3.7 lbs. My problem was the opposite. I have always been a very light eater. Now I am focusing on getting 1200-1300 healthy calories a day. I don't worry much about eating my exercise calories back. For me even getting to 1200 calories a day is a good difference.

Please don't give up. This website really works and the community here is terrific. Good luck!
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I only started a couple weeks ago too, but my biggest suggestion is to eat lots of veggies to fill you up. I have cut out quite a bit of those starchy refined foods (except rice cakes...they are my low calorie guilty treat) and I usually eat one huge salad a day. It really helps to fill me up. Sweet potatoes have been a yummy staple too that are not really high in calories and very filling . I layer them on a baking sheet using a Tbsp of olive oil so they don't stick and a little cinnamon and salt. It's almost like having cookies or something...so good. I am sure I am not doing it perfectly but I have lost 6 lbs so far and really haven't struggled with hunger like I do when I just eat whatever but. cut calories. Feel free to add me if you like. We can motivate each other. It so happens this a very non-motivated day for me here too.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!! Don't give up! You will feel so much better if you stick it out!!

That being said, I think that going from eating an estimated 2000 kcal/day to only 1200 is very extreme and totally unnecessary. Gradual change is much more effective and what's more, SUSTAINABLE!

Before cutting any calories at all, you should just monitor your food for a week or two. Record EVERY bite you put into your mouth. By doing that you will begin to notice patterns, and should be able to identify a couple of easy changes to make. For example, when I started recording I saw: cookies, cookies, cookies, cookies, cookies. I couldn't believe how many cookies I was eating in a week! Seeing that gave me an easy starting place.

Don't focus right now on cutting calories. Start by recording so you can see where you need to make changes, then choose one place where you can substitute a nutrient-dense food for an empty-calorie food. This way, the calories will take care of themselves and you won't be starving and ready to quit. Instead, you'll be on your way to a healthy body.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!! Don't give up! You will feel so much better if you stick it out!!

That being said, I think that going from eating an estimated 2000 kcal/day to only 1200 is very extreme and totally unnecessary. Gradual change is much more effective and what's more, SUSTAINABLE!

Before cutting any calories at all, you should just monitor your food for a week or two. Record EVERY bite you put into your mouth. By doing that you will begin to notice patterns, and should be able to identify a couple of easy changes to make. For example, when I started recording I saw: cookies, cookies, cookies, cookies, cookies. I couldn't believe how many cookies I was eating in a week! Seeing that gave me an easy starting place.

Don't focus right now on cutting calories. Start by recording so you can see where you need to make changes, then choose one place where you can substitute a nutrient-dense food for an empty-calorie food. This way, the calories will take care of themselves and you won't be starving and ready to quit. Instead, you'll be on your way to a healthy body.

Sounds like a great exercise... however i am now 2 weeks into it so i'im starting to become used to eating at 1400-ish... but i'm so craving a cupcake today. Oh dear!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So have a cupcake!!! There is nothing wrong with eating a cupcake now and then. In fact, allowing yourself to have one when you are really craving one removes the craving and makes it easier to resume healthy eating.

You will probably find that if you are eating good, nourishing, satisfying food every day, you will not crave them very often.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    Have you tried to lose weight before or did you exercise a lot before and then stopped and put on the pounds?Also how much do you have to lose?

Thanks for sharing.

I have tried before using South Beach and it actually worked and i lost about 15lbs but after that even Phase One again didn't work anymore for me. It's like my body is just saying no.

I haven't been a huge exercise person but a year ago started this dance workout that i've been doing for over a year now... so no drastic changes in the last month except for dropping my caloric intake.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    You don't seem to have answered wether or not you started exercising at the same time as you started MFP.

I started running 4 times per week at the beginning of the year and the weight is only just starting to slowly shift now partly because I've been building muscle which is heavier than fat and partly because it wasn't until I started using online calorie counters that I realised just what I'm eating!
    Everyone has been telling me they can see a big difference but it wasn't really showing on the scales. Two weeks isn't long so keep at it and do _NOT_ consider any sort of crash / detox diet!

Hope this helps
    NTB
    8o)

Thanks! I had been working out like 3-4 times a week (cardio about 650 calories each time) and was doing that about a year... took a three week break around Christmas time and started back up about mid January - i started MFP Valentine's day. So i didn't start exactly the same time i started counting calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Step away from the scales for a while and focus on eating healthy meals (not too little, not too much) and doing some exercise. If you keep doing this for long enough you WILL see results.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    I have noticed that when you add your exercise it increases your daily calories. Which in effect is not going to help loose weight. If you have a set calorie count, the exercise is what will help you loose the weight, but if you are then eating the earned calories, in efffect you will stay the same. So my advise would be not to add the exercise. please correct me if im wrong or if i havent explained myself well.

Makes total sense. Talked to my nutritionist on Monday and he said the same thing - not to eat back my exercise calories.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You are eating way,WAY too much sodium! Drink lots of water and cut down on the sodium. I would bet you retain a ton of water weight! Cut that down and watch the weight start to sweat and pee out!
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    Just a thought: my first 2 months I lost a total of 4 lbs...but I'm sure glad I didn't give up!!!
    You can do it! Find what works for you & keep your eye on the prize, A HEALTHY, SEXY, HAPPY YOU!!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    We won't let you quit! We're a team! Low sodium and drinkie more water. We believe in you!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You sodium intake is HIGH... that could do the trick... if all you are looking at is the scale you are gonna get frustrated as heck... take a moment to enjoy the changes you are doing for a healthier you - the rest will fall in to place at its due time