Going to Olive Garden for Dinner

Options
I have a regular Thursday night group that goes out for dinner. This week we are going to Olive Garden. I have no idea what to eat. It doesn't seem like much of any thing there is low calorie.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Erin

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I say just relax and enjoy yourself.

If you do decide to go low cal, you can order the dressing on the side of the salad, and their minestrone soup is low cal at 100 cals per bowl. Also, if you want to have a breadstick or two with your soup and salad, they are like 150 cals per stick, if I recall correctly.

They are really sweet about splitting entrees. My husband and I usually split the Tour of Italy. It comes nicely on two plates, all pretty looking as if it were just one order. If you really want a certain order, and don't have anyone to split it with, you can order it in a lunch sized portion, which is smaller.

I ALWAYS splurge and order the Zuppa Toscana soup, it's delicious! I liked it so much I figured out how to make it at home! lol! The alfredo sauce too!

ETA: It looks like the lunch portion of their Venetian Apricot Chicken is only 290 calories. :0)
  • rachleb
    rachleb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ^^I agree with this^^

They have the nutrition info for all the menu items here: http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/

I like to be prepared before I go places and have a few choices picked out beforehand!

Something else that I do when I go out to eat sometimes is to half my portion immediately, and take the rest to go (or share it with my husband!). You could also try getting a soup for an appetizer to help fill you up!
  • crystalgifford
    Options
    Go to their website and it shows you how many calories is in the food. I had cheese ravioli, 1 bread stick and a serving of the salad all under 800 calories I believe. I'm really picky, but there is other things with low cals also. But I knew I was going out that night, so I just made sure I watched what I ate that day so I could have a "cushion" in case I didn't find anything.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Type in olive garden into your MFP app, it will give you ammunition as to what to order.
  • NiniB30
    NiniB30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The minestrone soup is TO DIE FOR and not that many calories. I believe the caloric content is on the menu...don't. I repeat, DON'T eat the bread sticks and bring your own salad dressing...I always do...they don't care...oh and don't eat the olives! Too many calories in those. I love the minestrone soup. I always get that.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I know the salads there are deliscious, and breadsticks. Healthy and part of every order!! Also, anytime you go out to dinner expect to get double the servings you would eat the home. It's hard for me to half the meal, but you could do it. take the rest home.But that would be a good idea
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    You could always say, 'to hell with it', and eat to your heart's content.. y'know.. just make it up tomorrow and all. If you really wanna go for the lower cals though, I'll list what I've found in my, 'Eat This, Not That' booklet.

1. Cheese raviolo... with marinara sauce (660 cals, 22g fat (11g saturated fat) 1,440 mg sodium)
    2. Linguine alla Marinara (430 cals. 6g fat (1g sat.) 900 mg sodium)
    3. Grilled chicken spiedini (460 cals, 13g fat (2.5 sat fat) 1,180mg sodium)
    4. Mussels di Napoli (180 cals. 8g fat(4g sat) 1,770mg sodium)

The listed two others on the side, but haven't gone into much detail as far as calories....:
    Ravioli di Portobello (I've had this and it was amazing!.. I think it's around 600 calories.. I checked the website shortly after ordering it)
    > Herb-grilled Salmon or Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    not too sure how accurate this is... but here is a link to nutritional info

http://caloriecount.about.com/olive-garden-nutrition-m52
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    The minestrone soup is TO DIE FOR and not that many calories. I believe the caloric content is on the menu...don't. I repeat, DON'T eat the bread sticks and bring your own salad dressing...I always do...they don't care...oh and don't eat the olives! Too many calories in those. I love the minestrone soup. I always get that.

This is crazy. A breadstick and an olive are fine. Olives have heart healthy fats, and there aren't that many in the salad. OP doesn't have to avoid any particular foods, she should just be wise in her portions if she chooses not to use it as a cheat meal.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Minestrone soup and salad...

OR....

You can call it a spike day and indulge a little in whatever you want. It's not like you're eating there every day right?
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I really like the apricot chicken with vegetables...it's 400 calories for the dinner portion. The minestrone soup is also really good.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I know the salads there are deliscious, and breadsticks. Healthy and part of every order!! Also, anytime you go out to dinner expect to get double the servings you would eat the home. It's hard for me to half the meal, but you could do it. take the rest home.But that would be a good idea

depending on your goal the salad is not that low cal.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Portion it out, even the salad is high in calories!!!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Might I reiterate, the salad can be ordered without dressing. :flowerforyou:
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Minestrone = 100 calories for a nice, hearty bowl.
    Breadsticks = 150 each.
    Water = 0 calories.
    All of their calorie info is on their website AND on their menu :drinker: ; but don't be afraid to "customize" your dish to make it healthier. You could even ask for a lunch or half plate. I went there a few days ago, ate soup, pasta, and bread = under my calorie goal.
    Good luck, and most of all, enjoy yourself!

EDIT: Grammar :grumble:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Get the Portabella Raviolis with the sauce on the side. They are freaking amazing. <3 them
    Last time i had them was last summer :\
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden salad torpedoed my diary. Over 600 calories for two plates and blasted my sodium out of the water by double. That was when I first started here at mfp, now I'm more aware. It's awesome you're planning ahead, definitely check their nutrition guide. Go red sauce, not cream based.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I get the zoupa tuscana and the portabella raviolis... I eat half the raviolis and don't touch the bread sticks. Ask for a box right away. If they forget, remind them when they've served everyone that you'd like a box. That way you can pack up half and won't be tempted. Good luck!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I get the zoupa tuscana and the portabella raviolis... I eat half the raviolis and don't touch the bread sticks. Ask for a box right away. If they forget, remind them when they've served everyone that you'd like a box. That way you can pack up half and won't be tempted. Good luck!!

See. Another vote for the portabella raviolis! They are great. Eat half. <3
  • Monkee8088
    Options
    apricot chicken and minestrone was sooo good and totally filled me up. and i can eat....alot :laugh: