Why do you cut dairy?

Options
This is a huge place for me to get protein throughout the day. I've heard of cutting dairy out, why?

Replies

• raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    notmilk.com

For me, I have a dairy allergy. It also can mess with digestion. Try that website, though
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Because milk is for babies and is completely unnecessary once we can digest solids.

Also, I don't want my money going to the veal industry.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Good, more for me!

Dairy is good for you (unless you have specific allergy). I'm lactose intolerant and I wouldn't dare give it up.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Soy is easier for me to digest and I generally like the taste of it. I still eat yogurt, ice cream :wink:, etc.
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    I'm having a hard time giving it up but from what I understand, we don't need the extra animal protein that's in it.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I get bloated and cranky when I eat dairy, and I feel way better without it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think people usually cut it out for a couple of reasons - medical (ie lactose intolerant), ethical (not wanting to drink/use animal products) or because of calories (finding lower cal options like almond milk instead of cows milk).

If none of those things bother you, then go for it, eat your dairy and enjoy! I love yoghurt and cheese and won't give them up. I don't drink milk very often but if I want a nice skim milk latte, I'm certainly not going to ask for a soy one. I tried almond milk this week because I'm curious about it (so many people here use it) but the brand I bought was sugary and nasty, so I won't be doing that again. Back to skim milk powder in my porridge.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    milk causes excess mucus and it promotes yeast growth. I'd rather use almond milk.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Whatever the reasons, I haven't heard one yet that would lead me to give up all the wonderful dairy products out there. Solidarity!
  • marybobaly
    Options
    I love Almond milk, half the cals of 2% milk.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic. Unless I want to get violently ill, no dairy of any kind, even in trace amounts, for me.

Honestly, if it doesn't bother you, I say keep eating it. A lot of people cut it out because "humans aren't supposed to drink milk from cows" and actually more than half of Americans are lactose intolerant to some extent, but I can tell you that if it weren't for my allergies, I'd be eating cottage cheese every day.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    It's high in sugar and fat. I am eating select dairy. Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, and for a treat once in awhile I have one of those little zero yogurts. Unfortunately I have pretty much cut out milk because it's relatively high in sugar for what you get, and most cereal is also high in sugar, cut out one automatically cut out the other.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have found non dairy stuff I like better. I eat what tastes good to me.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I like dairy. Cheese and full cream milk and things are high in calories, but the trick is to not eat them to excess.
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good, more for me!

Dairy is good for you (unless you have specific allergy). I'm lactose intolerant and I wouldn't dare give it up.

How do you drink it if your lactose intolerant? just wondering because so am I and i puke sooo much and feel like crap even with the smallest amount!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to cows milk, casein ( so no goat milk either), soy, and almonds ( no almond milk for me!). Strangely NOT lactose intolerant though

I Can assure you if I was able to I'd be eating a big block of cheese right now.
  • JustKat2020
    JustKat2020 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love dairy and I'm from WIS too. I grew up drinking unpasteurized and unhomogenized milk. The cream would rise to the top and we would use that on our morning cereal or fruit. To this day I still prefer to drink whole milk. All that being said I cut way back on it two years ago because I was having a hard time digesting it. I feel so much better for doing this. I do consume dairy now in limited quantities but it's very high in fat and calories. I'm pleased to report that I have not been excommunicated from the state for this. :smile:
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :heart: Cottage Cheese :heart: String Cheese :heart: Chucks of Cheese (Colby, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Mozz, Swiss) :heart: Milk with my cereal :heart: Eggs :heart: Egg Substitue :heart: Greek Yogurt (I make veggie dip with it, use plain as a substitue for sour cream) :heart: Laughing Cow Wedges :heart:

Being from Wis helps! I'm a typical cheese head! :tongue: :bigsmile:

I'd have a hard time cutting it out, although I feel more full and satisfied eating dairy so I'll stick with it! :smile: