WHY IS BELLY FAT THE LAST TO GO?!!

Options
I began my weight loss journey about a month ago but it seems by gut is taking its slow time in shrinking. I can feel my legs, thighs, breast and even some of my love handles slimming down but not my gut! I just needed to vent. I am trying to be patient just anxious to have that flat stomach. :) anybody with some motivation advice helpful comments or common experience all is welcome!!

Replies

• leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, our bodies are designed to survive so it keeps that fat around our midsection to cushion and keep our organs warm, So naturally it's the last to go. Just keep at it! You'll get there! I am in the same boat.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating. We're all genetically predisposed to carry fat in the way our body wants it distributed. For some of my friends, they gain first on their thighs and lose last on their thighs. For me - and it sounds like you - I gain first on my belly and lose last on my belly. There isn't really anything you can do to help it budge off the stomach any faster (although I wish there was!)

I'd recommend taking a photo every month. Because I always insist I have no change in my stomach, but then when I look at the photos I can totally see it! When it was December I really really really didn't want to take a photo because I was convinced I would see a month without an improvement. But I made myself take one... and there it was - improvement!

August, September, November, December
    Screenshot2011-12-13at21427PM-1.png

That said it hasn't been a specifically fast loss. It takes time. If you have a quality plan, you just stay committed to what you're doing and it will happen. I started to make some non body composition goals to keep my mind off the 'waiting time.' I started to set a bunch of goals based around strength/weight lifting and focus on those. That was something I could see progress in easily and quickly and was very rewarding. It helped distract me from my body composition goals.

Best of luck :)
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Haha yes I know how u feel !! I could lose much flab around that tummy area... it's soooo unsightly! But ah well, all I can do is try to trim overall bodyfat and wait for the day the tummy takes its turn. That will be a great day I'm sure. Keep at it!

:flowerforyou:
  • loftus2005
    Options
    ugh, Im so with you on this... I feel like Im toning up everywhere but my belly!!! I was looking in the mirror today and thought to myself.. Damn it almost looks like a baby bump!? Frustrating!!!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I began my weight loss journey about a month ago but it seems by gut is taking its slow time in shrinking. I can feel my legs, thighs, breast and even some of my love handles slimming down but not my gut! I just needed to vent. I am trying to be patient just anxious to have that flat stomach. :) anybody with some motivation advice helpful comments or common experience all is welcome!!

After about a month into my weight loss, I noticed that things were changing. But they weren't changing everywhere, they were changing in my stomach area. I lost my weight from my back and stomach first and then the rest caught up.

It will all come off, don't worry and definitely don't give up. I did notice that the 6lbs i picked up, after losing my initial weight, went straight to my stomach. But as I have been steadily losing, it has been going away.

Hang on in there! Keep doing what you are doing! Every single body is different. We lose weight differently, but thank goodness it goes away eventually... not without hard work, of course :)
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    the same thing is happening to me. my legs and arms and even my waist got smaller. however my stomach is still (to me) almost as fat as before :cry:

i'm sure as times goes by that it'll shrink but i can understand how frustrating it is to see progress in every other aspect of your health but be still left with an unsightly belly!
  • FunSizeFlirty30
    Options
    I can so relate with you! Women in my family tend to gain weight in their stomachs so I am no exception….everything else on my body is nice and toned except this stubborn gut :-( I have lost inches, so that is a plus but it’s taking it’s time getting more defined…..a work in progress
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating. We're all genetically predisposed to carry fat in the way our body wants it distributed. For some of my friends, they gain first on their thighs and lose last on their thighs. For me - and it sounds like you - I gain first on my belly and lose last on my belly. There isn't really anything you can do to help it budge off the stomach any faster (although I wish there was!)

I'd recommend taking a photo every month. Because I always insist I have no change in my stomach, but then when I look at the photos I can totally see it! When it was December I really really really didn't want to take a photo because I was convinced I would see a month without an improvement. But I made myself take one... and there it was - improvement!

August, September, November, December
    Screenshot2011-12-13at21427PM-1.png You look great! HOT

That said it hasn't been a specifically fast loss. It takes time. If you have a quality plan, you just stay committed to what you're doing and it will happen. I started to make some non body composition goals to keep my mind off the 'waiting time.' I started to set a bunch of goals based around strength/weight lifting and focus on those. That was something I could see progress in easily and quickly and was very rewarding. It helped distract me from my body composition goals.

Best of luck :)
  • trina433
    Options
    thanks everyone! u have been most helpful :)