New w/ 90lbs to lose

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been on this site before but I fell off the wagon a year ago after I'd lost about 15lbs, and just recently came back when I realized that I'd fallen back into all my old habits. Hitting 240lbs again really slapped me in the face.

This time I'm trying a different approach -- before I was trying to cut out pretty much all carbs, but I love them too much.

So now I'm just trying to limit them to healthier ones and better portions of them, and eating a lot more protein.

I'm a 24 year old college student on an accelerated course at Full Sail University, which means that I have a very eclectic schedule (sometimes I have classes from 5pm - 1am) that changes every month. My girlfriend has some pretty bad eating habits, and it's tough to try and do this on my own, 'cause she's not changing the way she eats.

Could use whatever support and help I can find!

Nice to meet you all.

-James

Replies

• cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. It's hard to stay on top of weight loss, but if you check in every day and track your food, I'll bet you succeed in no time. And, if you start by changing one thing at a time, that's sometimes easier than trying to do everything at once. I would guess with your schedule changing a lot, you need to be flexible and have some healthy foods ready and available, so if you're hungry late at night, you can munch on food that won't wreck your eating plan.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! You can do this. We all have our let downs but we can't let them keep us down. That is the key. You may have fell off the wagon but atleast you are getting back on. I know how you feel. I have had many struggles with this journey. The first being the unexpected death of my mama in November of 2010. I hit a hard spot and am just now getting my motivation back. Don't let anything stop you. YOU CAN do this!
  • StillLonely
    Options
    Hey James... good for you! Trying to get this under control while you are young. I have been doing some research on resistant starch and there is a lot of evidence that it helps you lose weight and restore metabolism. Resistant startch is a form of fiber and they are complex carbs. You can Google the term resistant starch and there is a ton of information about it. There is a book out about it too titled "The Carb Lover's Diet". I have not read it yet but am planning to check it out.

You can friend me if you want.
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I knew starting another year I really needed to do something. I don't know what happened but a switch flipped in my head. I have now lost 30 pounds with 68 to go. I love this website. A good part of my weight loss is due to MFP. If you need a friend or encouragement please add me.
  • madmew
    Options
    Hi. I joined this site about 10 minutes ago. A friend told me about it. I'm hoping to lose 50 lbs and just input my food for the day. Clearly I eat too much and need to cut down on the amount of food I put in my mouth! I was more than 400 calories over for the day! Okay, so tomorrow is another day. I hope that by keeping track of my food, I will be successful in monitoring my calorie intake and by exercising regularly I can shed some of this weight and feel better again.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey there - good luck on your journey! you can do this - stay strong and true to yourself! Friends are a great way to motivate!

friend request sent!!!!! all the best
  • I got a Fitbit pedometer for my birthday this month, about 3 weeks ago, and it keeps track of my steps, calories burned, steps climbed and even tracks sleep patterns. It syncs with myfitnesspal and it is great! It gives me the motivation to walk more than usual. I also have a home gym with a treadmill, spin bike and elliptical, but even without those things, the Fitbit is the help you can't get from your g/f. Today I finally hit 15,000 steps! And that was just at work and running errands. Other than that, be diligent about logging your food and weigh, measure and use pre-packaged when you can. I got some nutrisystem stuff at Big Lots for $1, like muffins and crisps and brownies. After a good month folks started to notice, and now that I have been using myfitnesspal for 2 mo., everyone is noticing I am getting smaller. And, there have been days I have way exceeded my daily calorie limits in the beginning just to see how much I ate. I could eat 3-5,000 cal a day and would have sworn it was under 2,000. Don't deprive yourself. If you want it, eat it, but just eat a bit. Tonight I ate Chinese food at the buffet and pigged out for me, but logged everything I ate at the table as I ate it and still came in just at goal calories. I had to stop when I got there, so no good desert, but I was full, so it was good. Good luck and if you don't already have a pedometer, check out the Fitbit.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    The biggest thing, be honest with yourself, no one is judging here, we all fall off, it's the getting back on that means success over failure. Use the app everyday, if you miss go back and try to put in what you remember. Don't drink alcohol, it's a non starter in the beginning. But most of all, be honest. Take your lumps, celebrate your successes. You may even find your new lifestyle motivates your girl into eating better.
  • Don't stress about eating over the first day. You have to establish a baseline for what you usually eat. Get out and earn some calories with exercise, too, if you can. Good luck! You can do it!
  • BeginningX
    BeginningX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Web MD just posted a list of 200 calorie snacks...check it out...also I am new to this too...but I would suggest not making any unnecessary rules like no carbs that just sets you up to fail...once you start tracking you will see what is worth "spending" your calories on! Best, Kathleen