Weight gain after starting exercise

Options
Hi, I was losing weight without exercise then I decide to speed up the process and buy a bike. After burning an average of 600 calories this week and eating my allowed calories. I seemed to gain weight. Is it normal? I was 366 before exercising now I'm at 373 :(
Thanks for any help.

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? Drinking lots of water? Sometimes when you first start to exercise, particularly if you go from none to a 600 calorie burn you can gain. Give it some time. Eat at least half your exercise calories. Drink lots of water. Can't offer anything else since your diary isn't public. Friend me if you want me to look and see if I notice any red flags. But honestly I think you'll see a difference in a week or so.
  • simplesolid
    Options
    I didn't know that I was suppose to eat the exercise calories. Although, I have been eating almost all of my allowed calories :)

I have changed my diary setting to public.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When you first start exercising your muscles will get slightly damaged (nothing to worry about) and whilst healing your body will retain water to protect them. Something to consider also.

When exercising it is a good idea to eat back your calories burnt but if you are not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. Try to get your NET calories as close to your allotted calories also.

Good luck. X
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are eating your exercise calories. MFP adds exercise calories to your base to determine daily goal. That's why you calorie goal changes every day. Sodium! Wow! Watch out! That alone could sabotage your weight loss. Take a look at your food choices. Pizza once a week maybe (I can't do it but my calories at half of your's). It's a long road ahead. You want to make changes that will last a life time. I've lost 170 lbs. and I still struggle to stay under control. Constant vigilance. I'll be watching! Good luck!
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are eating your exercise calories. MFP adds exercise calories to your base to determine daily goal. That's why you calorie goal changes every day. Sodium! Wow! Watch out! That alone could sabotage your weight loss. Take a look at your food choices. Pizza once a week maybe (I can't do it but my calories at half of your's). It's a long road ahead. You want to make changes that will last a life time. I've lost 170 lbs. and I still struggle to stay under control. Constant vigilance. I'll be watching! Good luck!

Yeah, that sodium is way high. Hope you don't have any problem with blood pressure. Cut down on all the salty processed snacks. Make sure you're logging your calories properly and not overestimating the calories you burn with exercise. You're logging about 1000 calories burned a day in exercise. That's a very high amount unless you're doing a couple hours of cardio a day. Half hour on the elliptical at good pace will get you 300 calories. If you do high intensity, you might hit 400.

What are you doing to get that 1000 calories of exercise in each day?
  • simplesolid
    Options
    I'm doing about 1 1/2 hours of bike riding. It gets tracked in my iPhone and it counts the calories that I burn. I guess because I'm 370 pounds I burn more :) about 10 miles per day of riding more or less. Both MFP and runkeeper say that I'm burning the same amount of calories, so I take they are right. I usually enter the lowest cycling exercise which is leisure less than 10 miles per hour. 1 hour of that is almost 1000 calories for me.

For example today I did 8.36 miles in 1hr and 18 minutes which equals to 915 calories burnt, taking speed and incline into account which runkeeper does automatically.

I usually enter more stuff than I eat. For example if I have one and 1/2 serving of cheese I logged it as 2.

I hope to be doing 2 hours soon. Maybe 1 in the am and 1 in the afternoon. I feel more energetic but the scale says I gained weight. I wonder if the salt is making me hold too much water?
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    It is possible that there is an over estimation of Calories Burned. Try only eating 1/2 of your exercise cals and see if that helps.
  • bigaussiebloke
    bigaussiebloke Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have been going since January 1st and have put on around 500 grams....

Would appreciate anyone who can explain this to me.... I have only started logging again today after some time away from logging but have not changed what I eat at all and have kept up regular exercise.

Cheers
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Yeah, be honest, but at the same time cheat yourself slim. Sodium is a killer and will make you retain water. At 360 pounds I must assume that your activity level was very sedentary so your body will be going into a bit of shock. If you underestimate your exercise and over estimate calories consumed you will start seeing progress. It's being honest with a little bit of sneakiness. I have not looked at your food diary but from what I have read it seems you may need to cull some foods from your diet. Raw vegetables should be your friend,
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I read your diary, here's my take:

1. You must drink 12-16 cups of water for the kind of exercise you do. Start yous day wwith2 cups of water. Before exercise drink water, after exercise drink water...drink some water every hour (dont worry about peeing).

2. Reduce your calorie intake. You are eating as much as 3000 calories a day. Dont eat more than 1800 or so (if you want to lose).

3. From pt 2 above, you must keep a deficit between allowed calories and consumed calories in the 800-1000 range.

Every 3500 calories deficit should give you 1 Pound loss, if all measurements are perfect.

Cheers!