walking in swimming pool how many calories burned

Options
i do a ladies and babies swim class on mondays 45minutes basically walking widths of the pool pulling my toddler with me which we both love and i figure must burn some calories

the closest i found was 250 calories burned for 30minutes if your moving your arms in water too im not but i am pulling and pushing a 30lb todller so i figure close enough.. but does anyone know if this is accurate or not.

i have added it to mfp as a guide for me but id rather it be accurate than not any help appreciated thankyou

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    not sure but better than nothing:)
    if you cant swim then just hold on to the side and kick!
  • dbcja
    dbcja Posts: 54
    Options
    All I can tell you that walking in water is a bloody good work out! It is exhausting! lol
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    "Water Jogging" is actually in the database! You are not alone!!! :happy:
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had to figure out the same thing. I had a water aerobics class and decided to stay in for my son's swim class. If I had known that I was going to have to push a 50lb child around in the water I would have let someone else do the job. After both classes I was just dying and ended up going to China Buffet afterwards since I hadn't eaten anything and my calorie deficit was screaming!! lol

On a good note, I ate the healthier parts of the buffet without overdoing it. :blushing:
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    well it was definately a workout i spent half the session pushing my daughter around well her shouting faster and me trying frantically to run in water and push her with floats and rubber ring and the other half holding the swim ring and swimming her across the pool much to the amusement of my friend who merely held my other daughter while she splashed and played with a rubber duck
    fun workout definately hard work oh yes i felt it after and was glad we go straight for breakfast with kids when we finish lol
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    "Water Jogging" is actually in the database! You are not alone!!! :happy:

Water walking is not as energetic as water jogging so the calorie calculations will not be accurate.

If you want the most accurate method for calculating the calories burned walking in water the formula is:

In lbs = weight x 0.9 calories = calories burned in 30 minutes.
    Example: 200lbs x 0.9 = 180 calories burned. 45 minutes (1.5 lots of 30 minutes) would be 270 calories and an hour 360.

In kgs = weight x 1.98 calories = calories burned in 30 minutes.
    Example 100kgs x 1.98 = 198 calories burned. 45 minutes (1.5 lots of 30 minutes) would be 297 calories and an hour 396.

As a rough guide walking in water burns approximately 50% more calories than walking on land due to the extra resistance you overcome. Use light dumbbells and swing your arms and the calories burned increases as well.
  • RNobgyn30
    Options
    Thank you ^^^^^ This was the most helpful info I've seen to date!
  • manonkavesky
    manonkavesky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you for the water walking calorie burned conversion
  • countbarb
    countbarb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for letting me know that water jogging is in the database. Never thought of the word jogging. But you are right, its not exactly the same as water walking, but gives me an idea. I'm still surprised water walking isn't because many of us with physical restrictions walk in water. I do swing my arms and walk as fast as I can but the dumbbells sound like a great addition. Thanks!!