SHIFT WORKERS HOW DO YOU COPE?

Options
Hi

I work in Law Enforcement and works shifts working 61hrs over 7days with 3 rest days following. I work a combination of shifts including earlies and lates (into nights)
I think this is why i struggle with a balanced diet.

Does anyone else work shifts and how do you manage your diet and what sort of things do you eat please?

Replies

• rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    yes I am struggling today as a matter of fact. Also in LE and am on a double then back in 4 for a straight shift.

I was able to talk to a nutritionist in my WL challenge, she basically said just eat through like normal. Plan good snack and small light meals every 3-4 hours. Have the snacks in between.

I do alot of fruit when doing doubles.
  • mickyjg
    Options
    That's not so easy to do when you are going from job to job to job and don't get a meal break in a 10hr shift, you just grab what you can on the run which is usually junk ..

Because I had a short notice change of shift i wasn't prepared but i will be tomorrow :smile:
  • Sobe1970
    Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work EMS and have a 7 day on/7 day off rotation. I have to stay at the base for the entire 7 days as we run 24-hour shifts (i am basically on-call for 168 hours). I pre-cook a lot of food for the week such as chicken and quinoa and I usually prep a lot of veggies and fruit at home before my shift. I try and keep as normal a schedule as possible and I eat every 3-4 hours. I do get jammed up sometimes when we're busy and I find keeping a little bag with almonds, an apple or granola bars and water comes in handy. Tuna, almond butter, almonds, hard-boiled eggs, greek yogurt, Six-Star protein powder, bananas...lots of quick and easy stuff that can be eaten on the go.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I go to college from 7 to 4 then work 5- 11. i just try to fit it in when ever i can. sometimes being busy helps me eat better but only when i plan ahead and pack things. right now i can only handle 15 min work out a day, but its better then an excuse as to why i am to busy to do anything.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Nights at the station are hard. Lots of greasy foods, or take out. We never cook healthly. So when nights roll around I usually just eat hot dogs, and write off my diary for those nights.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am a operations manager for a security company and I am up allll night dealing with all sorts of stuff at various locations, checking on my staff and half the time working shifts myself and it is HELL trying to get a decent balance because I never have a set schedule! Which is why I have been looing into intermitten fasting. Google it and see what you think. I am still in the researching stages but it sounds like it could work for my schedule.. Good luck! :drinker:
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    good chewing gum.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I work the 4-12, not many doubles though
    But i have a 2 and 4 year old i watch all day as well.............So i am going from 7am to midnight.......then i hit the gym, and usually hit the pillow at 2am.............then start it all over again 4-5 hours later.............
    not ideal, but it is what it is!
  • zincalloy
    Options
    22 years of shiftwork is what made me fat.

But it also paid my mortgage.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A good way to manage this is to look at your calorie goals as a weekly/10 day total, rather than a daily one.
    Your body doesn't know the difference.
  • mickyjg
    Options
    A good way to manage this is to look at your calorie goals as a weekly/10 day total, rather than a daily one.
    Your body doesn't know the difference.

Thank you.. I might give that a try :smile:
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My work schedule changes all the time . From over nights to days to afternoons . Some doubles some times a shift sleep 5 hrs and go back. I plan my 1200 into 4 "meals" listed breakfast lunch, dinner and over nights. I also list snacks and drinks. If I sleep threw I meal I have 3 others to put my food into. As far as what to eat, I end up doing fast food more than I like but try to eat the healthiest I can there . Subway has good breakfast sandwiches . Mcdonalds had oat meal with fresh fruit. Wendys has baked potatoes and salads . As well as some larger gas stations have make your own sandwiches ect. There is ok food out there you just need to look hard. Good luck.
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I only work about 40 hours a week (nights), but I also go to college in the daytime, so I understand the difficulty. What I do, is I precook all my meals for the day right after I wake up. I purposely make meals that are easy to eat with one hand, while driving. (I am a pizza deliverer). I eat every three hours, usually while waiting for red lights.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I work a rotating schedule. 12hr shifts, 7 days, 4 off, 5 nights, 4 off. I pre-plan and pre-pack my meals, or I will make bad choices every time. I have it already logged, sometimes days ahead. That way, I don't have to decide what to make when I'm brain-dead; just follow the plan.
  • frisk72682
    frisk72682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work in LE as well...only I am ALWAYS on overnights...8pm-6am.. I find that it is hard at times to eat every 3 hours or so especially if it's busy and there's NO time to eat...

I have started keeping my lunchbox in the trunk of my squad; I pack veggies, larabars, and even a GNC pre bottled protein shake once in awhile. Other times I'll have a string cheese stick or some deli meat. All I know is that the same rules apply to eating as going to the bathroom when you're a cop -it's gonna come at the worst possible time and you may not be able to do anything about it for hours, so always eat or go to the bathroom when you can!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Been doing shift work {LEO} for 20 plus years. If you are in dispatch or out on patrol, you need to make healthy choices and paln a little. I keep cut vegtables in the fridge to take for snacks, if I get jammed on an extended shift you can usually make a pit stop at a store and grab some pre-cuts. You can also keep energy/protein bars in a roll-out bag. Take some time and walk a store and see what options are non-refrigerated and keep a few of them in a bag in the trunck of your car or a backpack.
    As for times, try and pick mutual times {6am/6pm} to have meals. Shift work plan havoc on your body, you need to fight back.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My work patterns change every week from overnight shifts to early starts to middle of the day extravaganzas.

Tupperware is my friend (other plastic food storage devices are available)

Make food in advance that you can eat on the go. Sandwiches, nuts, pasta.

Works fine for me! I also try to eat the right meal at the right time, I don't function well eating breakfast at dinner time. It knows I'm trying to trick it!!!!!
  • mickyjg
    mickyjg Posts: 49
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to try preparing meals but I'm basically lazy when it comes to that and I'm not keen on planing in advance what I might want to eat because sometimes I change my mind.

Need to kick my *kitten* into gear.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to try preparing meals but I'm basically lazy when it comes to that and I'm not keen on planing in advance what I might want to eat because sometimes I change my mind.

Need to kick my *kitten* into gear.
    I have a couple of friends who are officers. They love fasting during their shift.
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    I work 10-12 hour over night shifts at a local 24 hour convenience store/MTO kitchen.

We get half off our menu, but it's super greasy disgusting food, so I usually just "forget" my wallet at home.

If not, I buy our fresh cut fruit bowls and Naked Juice.

It sucks not eating/eating very little for hours on end, but once your body is used to it, you'll do better. When I'm at home I do the same thing. Mostly some fruit or some toast, etc.

That being said, Naked Juice is a super healthy way to curb hunger. Organic and natural. :)