Confused by all the different information out there!

Options
I am constantly on some sort of "diet." I started the 4-hour body diet last summer and had great success with it. I got down to my goal weight of 130 pounds. Around January, I started to gain weight, and now I am officially up 8 pounds. I haven't changed anything on the diet.

The four hour body diet is pretty strict. Basically no extra carbs, lots of beans and protein, no fruit- and then one cheat day a week.
This worked for me as I said for months, but now it is not working.

I have looked into the paleo diet, but it has fruit- and I am so used to not eating fruit, that now I consider it a cheat food.

To make things more confusing, a nutritionist I worked with a few years ago recommended eating whole wheat products, fruit and dairy. All on a calorie restricted, balanced plan. Since all these items are not recommended on paleo or 4-hour body, I am wondering- what is right? Should I eat whole wheat or not? What is the story.

I just don't know what to do! It seems like all the information is so conflicting. I know that eating in moderation is probably the most important thing. However, since the 4-hour body diet yielded such great results in the beginning (and offered that coveted cheat day!), I am nervous about changing it up.

Exercise has never been a problem for me. I enjoy running, biking and yoga, and I feel like exercise is a part of my life. It is the eating part that makes me want to pull my hair out.

Any advice???

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ditch the "diet". Make it a lifestyle. Calories in/Calories out. It really is that simple.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would go with your nutritionist's advice since he or she has the expertise, education and experience to sort through all the information (and misinformation) to devise a plan that's right for you.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    From New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler: "Everything works. Nothing works forever."

I, personally, am leery of "diets" that restrict or outlaw any particular foods or groups of foods. You're missing out on a ton of nutritional goodness by totally avoiding any one thing. Everything in moderation.

Eat what you like; just make sure it's within your calorie goals and you are generally meeting your macros. If you really must have a "cheat" or "spike" day, adjust your daily calories down a bit, and apply that reduction toward the day of your choosing. That way, you are, on average, still below your calorie limit, but it feels like you've splurged!

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    Ditch the "diet". Make it a lifestyle. Calories in/Calories out. It really is that simple.

Agreed!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, you can lose weight on any diet but if you put some weight back on then you haven't really learned much. You need to diet the way you want to eat for life. Get that fruit back it's not a cheat.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    don't buy into all the diets out there. Eat a balanced meal INCLUDING fruit and whole grains. Just watch your calories in and calories out. FDA recommends 5 servings of FRUIT and vegetables a day because they are good for you, not because they want to make you fat.

I eat whole grains, fruit, vegies, reduced fat dairy, etc. and I have a cheat day once a week. On my cheat day I watch portions, don't go overboard with the sweets, and don't log (even though I should because those days I am trying to achieve 2000 calories instead of 1200 but I'm sure I do it so I don't worry too much). I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I also started muscle training so I am building muscle, I have a body mass scale and I watch my body fat go down and muscle go up so I know I would loose more if I had stuck with cardio only.

That is my experience. What works for me won't work for everyone and I'll probably get blasted for advocating "cheat days" but it works for me so I will stick with it. If someone doesn't like the idea that don't do it. The thing I have found with weight loss is you can't be afraid to try new things. I gained 2 pounds when I started the 30DS work out. I was so frustrated I nearly quit and then all of a sudden I dropped the 2 pounds again and I saw a decrease in the body fat % on the scale I was sooo jazzed. Try it out for a week or two if you are still gaining try something else.

But do yourself and your wallet a favor and ditch the "diets" just stick to nutrition, balanced meals and energy in/energy out.
  • sewsinthesouth
    Options
    I know that eating in moderation is probably the best way. I just feel guilty eating whole grains and fruit now, I have been restricting it for almost a year.

You guys are so right in your advice, and it helps to hear from REAL people. I appreciate all your input.

When I was down to 130, I felt so great about myself, and now that I have gained weight, I don't like the way it makes me feel. I want to quite dieting and just be normal for once!!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Any "plan" or "diet" that has a start and end will have a fail/regain associated with it.

Any change you make to change your body composition will have to be a forever change, including the "calories in/calories out" as they suggest on this site.

As soon as your revert to the habits that got you to where you started are resumed your body will go back to the start as well.

Find something you're OK with for life, hopefully it's a healthy change, and make it your new lifestyle. It's the only way the changes will stick.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree with this more.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    don't buy into all the diets out there. Eat a balanced meal INCLUDING fruit and whole grains. Just watch your calories in and calories out. FDA recommends 5 servings of FRUIT and vegetables a day because they are good for you, not because they want to make you fat.

I eat whole grains, fruit, vegies, reduced fat dairy, etc. and I have a cheat day once a week. On my cheat day I watch portions, don't go overboard with the sweets, and don't log (even though I should because those days I am trying to achieve 2000 calories instead of 1200 but I'm sure I do it so I don't worry too much). I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I also started muscle training so I am building muscle, I have a body mass scale and I watch my body fat go down and muscle go up so I know I would loose more if I had stuck with cardio only.

That is my experience. What works for me won't work for everyone and I'll probably get blasted for advocating "cheat days" but it works for me so I will stick with it. If someone doesn't like the idea that don't do it. The thing I have found with weight loss is you can't be afraid to try new things. I gained 2 pounds when I started the 30DS work out. I was so frustrated I nearly quit and then all of a sudden I dropped the 2 pounds again and I saw a decrease in the body fat % on the scale I was sooo jazzed. Try it out for a week or two if you are still gaining try something else.

But do yourself and your wallet a favor and ditch the "diets" just stick to nutrition, balanced meals and energy in/energy out.

I think cheat or spike days are very important, especially to keep you on track long term:tongue:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I, personally, am leery of "diets" that restrict or outlaw any particular foods or groups of foods. You're missing out on a ton of nutritional goodness by totally avoiding any one thing. Everything in moderation.

Eat what you like; just make sure it's within your calorie goals and you are generally meeting your macros. If you really must have a "cheat" or "spike" day, adjust your daily calories down a bit, and apply that reduction toward the day of your choosing. That way, you are, on average, still below your calorie limit, but it feels like you've splurged!

I completely agree. This is what I do, I don't consider it a diet at all, just the way I live. It allows wiggle room for meals I end up splurging on which is completely sustainable for my lifestyle.