Which Heart Rate Monitor watch?

Options
Can anyone recommend an accurate Heart Rate Montitor watch that doesn't cost the earth (preferrably one that doesn't require any form of chest strap)?

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio. It works fairly well... but sometimes I have trouble getting a reading while I'm working out... but it could be me... I have problems getting readings on the cardio machines at the gym too.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you get one without a chest strap I have heard they are not very accurate. The chest strap is no big deal. I dont even feel it anymore. The chest strap makes the whole situation much more reliable. I have the polar ft7. Got it at Amazon
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You are always going to need a chest strap.. Unless you plan on putting your finger on the sensor the entire time of the workout when you wear a watch only one.

Go look on Amazon and look for a Polar.. I've used the FT7 and the FT60.. and they both are fantastic HRM's.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If there is a chest strap, do u still wear the watch?
  • dad106
    Options

Uh yea.. Otherwise what would it transmit too?
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ok cool. Wasnt sure! Thanks
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Could it transmit to the computer on a workout machine?
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    You are always going to need a chest strap.. Unless you plan on putting your finger on the sensor the entire time of the workout when you wear a watch only one.

Go look on Amazon and look for a Polar.. I've used the FT7 and the FT60.. and they both are fantastic HRM's.

I have had a Polar F6 for three years. I love it. The battery has lasted til now. I will need to replace it this week.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT40 and it's fab. £80, which isn't the cheapest, but it's a good, reliable HRM and works very well. The reasons you still need the watch as well as the chest strap is that's where all the calcs are done/files are stored - the chest piece is just the monitor (and yes, I know that may seem obvious to many, but I didn't really understand either until I actually got mine).
  • dad106
    Options

Yes it could( and can) but it's not going to show you calories burned, max heart rate or any of that other info without the watch.. Which is what most people want.
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    It's been said, you need a chest strap. I LOVE my Suunto M5. Heard nothing but good things about the Polar.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

It could if they're compatible, but your watch will be customized to you as far as your age, sex, weight so it'll be way more accurate. If you don't want to wear the watch, you could just keep it nearby. Many of the fitness machines have little trays for those that like to keep gadgets or things with them as they workout.
  • LisaStanley500
    LisaStanley500 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance w/o chest strap & I don't think its accurate enough. Shopping for Polars now.
  • dad106
    Options
    *double post*
  • jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 for Christmas, and I absolutely love it, especially since I can go back and look at past workout data such as duration and calories burned.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Sort of. The strap transits to it or another device which does the actual calculations.

When I'm on the bike or dreadmill, I like to see what my burn and rate is, so I strap it around the handle. When doing p90x stuff, it's on my wrist.

It has an approximately 3' range so it could be in a pocket as well.

Sportsline, Mio, polar are all good brands. If you care what the watch looks like, polars are butt ugly, the sportsline looks good enough to wear everyday.
  • lucetteb
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft4 and it is great! I got it on sale on Bodytronics.com for just a little over $60.00. I just bought it so you might still be able to get it on sale. It is a replacement for another Polar cardiac monitor that I had for years and is now obsolete, lol. I LOVED my last Polar and the chest monitor is not uncomfortable or a problem. I never found one without a chest monitor that was anything close to accurate. Half the time they won't even read.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline hrm w\ chest strap and I agree with the posts above. The only problem I have with it is the strap tends to slip during workouts if you're doing any kind of quick movements or running. It still reads after slipping though but its a little bit of a hassle adjusting it when it does.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just ordered an Oregon scientific womens HRM model SE331 on on Amazon this week which was well reviewed in various places but obviously haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Comes with a chest strap and was reduced from £80 to £40. I may upgrade in the future but I wanted something fairly reasonably priced to start with.
  • Swissmiss
    Options

It could if they're compatible, but your watch will be customized to you as far as your age, sex, weight so it'll be way more accurate. If you don't want to wear the watch, you could just keep it nearby. Many of the fitness machines have little trays for those that like to keep gadgets or things with them as they workout.

So, the chest strap can tranmit to a machine but I would get more accurate readings if the info went to my watch? I wore the strap last night but it didn't show up on the machine's screen. (I tried this only because the battering in my watch in dead).