Depression and motivation

Options
Is anyone else having this battle? I am going to the doctor Friday, but I have been feeling really off for the past few months, but it has gotten worse. How do you battle such feelings and find the motivation to work out?! I just cant find it. Anyone have some helpful pointers?

Replies

• sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling so bad. I have always been depressed, but i just made myself get on our exercise bike one day for 10 minutes, then just pushed myself to go a little longer every couple days until I was at 30- 60 min and then made it a goal to see how far i could go in that half hour. It actually really did get easier and just part of my daily life. I do still have days that I don't just because I can't get motivated, but hopefully you can get some help from your doc! Good luck!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    For myself, personally, it took 6+ months on medication to even get to the point that I CARED that I needed to lose weight. But once it clicked, I have been good :smile: Going to your doctor is a great first step!
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Make sure your doctor includes a glucose tolerance test and checks for Insulin Resistance. Sugar levels majorly affect my moods and I had the most trouble with my depression when I was unaware of my Insulin Resistance and not eating properly for it.

That being said, there are many many causes of depression, and you are really smart to get to the doctor to get help figuring it out. The pain of depression is real, and often misunderstood by those around the person suffering from it. Best wishes to you in getting it under control.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I have had a lot going on, but I don't feel like I am depressed, but I have started to notice that I know I should feel happy about things but I am not. I have been beyond exhausted, granted I have a daughter who is almost 2 and keeps my on my toes but honestly I just am finding it harder and harder with each day that passes to function properly and to even care. I was doing so good on my weight loss then December hit, and I hit a wall. I haven't lost anything since then. Granted I haven't gained either but still. I am just really starting to lose all hope. I have lately stopped caring a lot about my food and stuff which I know has to do with my not losing, but I've been trying but then I give it to stupid crap
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Omg i can totally relate to this today!
    I,m struggling at the present too and today is even tougher as my little man who,s 18 months is having the wildest tantrums and screaming sessions ever.
    My problem is i struggle to eat so i,m having to push myself hard with that and also i need to work out too but at the minute feel like i want to go and hide under the duvet hmmmmm!
    I,m going to go on autopilot and just do what i need to do without thinking in depth of things as this is the only way i can manage.

Feel free to add me if you just need someone to chat to and vent :0)

Best wishes x
  • Bella3119
    Options
    First off, I would like to congratulate you on reaching out. It takes courage to ask for help and advice. There isn't a doubt in my mind that you will get through this and come out stronger and wiser.

Depression affects everyone. Period. The key is to find the method that works best for you. (Just like weight loss)

In college a Dr. gave me meds for depression and I felt worse. I stopped taking them after 6 months. Since then I've used the silver lining approach or the Pollyanna method. No matter how bad things get, I do not react until I am able to see the good in what I am experiencing. This method takes practice (like weight loss). Try things like, posting reminders of your goals, your accomplishments, subscribing to websites that send out daily positive emails.

I did go through a divorce 3 years ago and of course there was a short period in time where all of this went to the back of my mind. But atleast it was still in my mind. I knew what I should have been doing. And I got through it.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Get help. I have been battling this myself and it has gotten worse over the past few months. I have been talking to a counselor for the past couple weeks. Not really sure that it is helping or even what it is supposed to accomplish, but I seem to be feeling a little better. I have not been taking any meds, but considering that as the next step.
  • Pongo824
    Options
    Wow 54 lbs seems like motivation to me you should be proud and feel good that you have worked so hard to get to that mark. Set a goal and keep your mind made up I am confident you will prevail. Try not to let the small things stand in your way you can overcome and you will. Keep up that hard work and let the sun shine down on your glorious achievement
  • joannea1988
    Options
    i suffer from OCD and Anxiaty, since my son died, i gained 3 stone in 1 year, i got worse , i wouldnt go out the house, my husband would come in and no house work would be done, and my daughter very rarely got to school, this year i decided i didnt want my daughter and my husband to be my carer, i took control of my life , i directed my OCD in to going the gym i still suffer anxiaty but it doesnt control me, ive lost 22lb so far , and make sure i go out the house every day, i cook daily and my daughter has been at school every day apart from her ashma playing up . i got my wake up call when i realised i hardly did anything with my girl and i dont want a rubbish life for her.

admiting you need help is a huge step, goodluck to you.
  • anulle2009
    Options
    @JOANNEA1988 I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I couldn't even imagine what you could have gone through. Honestly you are a great motivation to see that after suffering you could overcome the way you have. Congrats on your loss also. That is just amazing.

I am trying to find the strength and just feel that I can not do thing a lone anymore. I have sat down with my husband and talked to him about the way I have been feeling. I get in the mode where I can totally just work out all week do good on my food and then hit a slump. Those slumps have been coming more often and lasting longer. That is why I decided to go to the doctor. I want to be a good mother and wife and the way I am feeling just isn't doing that.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through this at one point or another. The first step is realizing it and then deciding to do something about it. There are so many things that we have going on in our lives and it's hard to get it all done and I know for myself if I can't do it all I feel like I'm failing. Failing and being a good wife, mother, friend or co-worker. The truth is, I'm not a failure, I'm Human and I can't do it all nor should I be exptected to. When I feel like this I sit back and get my priorities in line and pick my battles so to speak and continue on with life trying to never forget to enjoy the little things that make me happy.
  • Alinat305
    Options
    I know the feeling, I've been dealing with depression for almost 3 years since my dad passed away. This is when I gained the weight, it seemed that I didn't have the motivation to stop eating the foods that were making me gain weight. Now is when I am feeling better and started watching what I eat and walking for 30 minutes a day. The doctor told me that many times when one is going through depression you also go through anxiety which is what really makes you want to eat all the time.

Good luck and just take it one day at a time.
  • joannea1988
    Options
    @JOANNEA1988 I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I couldn't even imagine what you could have gone through. Honestly you are a great motivation to see that after suffering you could overcome the way you have. Congrats on your loss also. That is just amazing.

I am trying to find the strength and just feel that I can not do thing a lone anymore. I have sat down with my husband and talked to him about the way I have been feeling. I get in the mode where I can totally just work out all week do good on my food and then hit a slump. Those slumps have been coming more often and lasting longer. That is why I decided to go to the doctor. I want to be a good mother and wife and the way I am feeling just isn't doing that.

i completely get where your coming from, i think you have to reach the bottom to realise you need to do something and its so hard to admit when you need help, but once youve admited it its a relief aswell xx
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am right there too & I am SOOOOOO glad to see I'm not alone.
    I find it really, really, really hard to get motivated to exercise & it's always easier to take care of my 4 yo, or the laundry or the never ending dishes (not sure why I thought renting a place without a dish washer would be okay)
    I'm trying to find a new doctor since I also have hypothyroidism & about 4years ago I went thru all the antidepressants (except for the ones that cost $75+ a month) to see if any would help.
    I'm always told to exercise since it will help my mood & insomnia, but I can't get motivated to exercise
    Depression is a vicious cycle
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this too. The really sad part is, if you FORCE yourself to get in there, the exercise will help the depression. Its like we're avoiding something that can truly help us.
  • anulle2009
    Options
    I have been dealing with this too. The really sad part is, if you FORCE yourself to get in there, the exercise will help the depression. Its like we're avoiding something that can truly help us.

I always feel better when I work out, but your right its that force part that is hard!!