30 day shred advice- sore sore sore

Options
Hi,
I'm on day 3 of the 30 day shred and I am really sore, wondering if anyone knows what could help this. (I dont have any fancy equipment like an elliptical available to me). I love the workout but am struggling with how sore I am, and as all my joints dislocate I do not want to cause more damage.
Also I'm unsure about the rules- I've read that you do it 5 days a week and I thought you did it everyday? Also I'm doing it in the morning, is it okay to to do it in the evening when I have some more time?

Replies

• sallyscuba
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm on day 7 now, I felt REALLY sore on day 3 too, I could hardly walk downstairs!! I took some ibuprofen and that really helped to take the pain away. I started doing the DVD last Tues and only did it Tues, Weds, Thrus and Fri, had the weekend off and started again on Monday, the soreness was MUCH better by then.

I think you can do as much or as little as you want but obviously if you do it 7 days a week you're going to get faster results. I've got two young children so I'm doing it during the week when they're at school but having weekends off when I'm busier.

As I said I'm only on day 7 but I'm finding Level 1 soooo much easier now, I've upped my weights too, I was using baked bean cans because the only hand weights I have are 1.5kg but I've just started using them and although they feel a bit heavy I take it easy when I start to struggle too much. Plus I'm planning on trying Level 2 next week!!!! Will probably go straight back to Level 1, haha!!

I think the best thing is to take it easy, don't push yourself too hard, also I don't think it'll matter what time of day you do it just so long as you do it regularly.

Hope that helps a little,
    Sally
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    i was really sore whn i first started to, i stared to add my own cool down stretches, i dont think jillian has enough (for me), once i added the extra stretches the pain got better :)
  • bewitched2982
    bewitched2982 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should probably stretch longer after the workout. I did the whole thing and my soreness was only really severe after the first 5 days or so. Try to stick with it, adding more stretching/cool down, and I bet you will be less sore!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I do it maybe 3 days a week. Its just part of something for me to do, i toss between that 6w6p and riding a bike. I noticed results doing it like that within a few weeks. Works for me! Depends how fast u wanna see results i guess.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Soreness is very common but make sure you are eating enough so your body can adequately repair itself and reduce the amount of soreness you have. A protein shake helps me and sometimes a banana for the potassium.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I agree with above! You have to stretch more. I felt like you in the beginning but once I added another 5 min of stretching I felt so much better!

Also I know many people do the 30 days straight but I don't think it is the best way. Your body needs to rest and your muscles need to recover. Also in books or other DVD's Jillian herself says that you should take 1 or 2 rest days a week.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    After day 3 its a breeze!!! Day 3 I wanted to just die I was in so much pain I actually yelled at the tv when she was talking (not that she could hear me). But i swear it gets way better after that. I'm on day 12 and nothing hurts anymore
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm on day 3 of the 30 day shred and I am really sore, wondering if anyone knows what could help this. (I dont have any fancy equipment like an elliptical available to me). I love the workout but am struggling with how sore I am, and as all my joints dislocate I do not want to cause more damage.
    Also I'm unsure about the rules- I've read that you do it 5 days a week and I thought you did it everyday? Also I'm doing it in the morning, is it okay to to do it in the evening when I have some more time?

I'm on day 3 also! It's nice to find someone who is matching me with this one. I too am SUPER sore. I do it @ 5am when I wake up and before I go to work. After the half hour drive I've been wincing when I get out of the car! My thighs hurt the most! But I'm gonna stick with it and push through! I want the results. I'm not sure if Ill go straight thru the 30 days or take a break day. It depends on how the weekend goes.

I don't think the time of day really matters. It's pretty much when ever it works out for you.

Good luck! Keep going!!!
  • Natley
    Natley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thats great that u can complete a workout and the pain means ur doing it correctly too!! take some advil and stretch out with basic yoga moves. i have the ripped in 30 dvds>>> they r hard workouts!! good job!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I know Jillian makes it sound like you should do the workout every day, but it's really not helpful to your body to stress the same muscles two days in a row (they need time in between to repair, that;'s how muscles grow). My advice is to do 30DS Mon, Wed, and Fri, and do some more cardio-centric workout on the other days. That's what I've been doing and I lost 12 lbs in a little over 2 months, reaching my goal weight. Good luck!
  • Rebecca_Evans1
    Options
    i was really sore whn i first started to, i stared to add my own cool down stretches, i dont think jillian has enough (for me), once i added the extra stretches the pain got better :)

I did the exact same thing - I don't think there are enough cooldown stretches, particularly for the legs so I spend about 5 minutes cooling down my thighs and calves at the end once the DVD cooldown has finished.

Day 3-4 are definitely the worst though, you have to give your muscles and joints a chance to adjust...they're clever things, they rebuild and repair themselves more efficiently the more exercise we do. Keep going, it does get easier :)

Have a nice soak in the bath afterwards as well, if you can....that normally helps me!
  • chris23tine
    chris23tine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't give up it will get better!!! I was also very sore in the beginning. I am on Day 7 now and feel so much better. The muscle pain will go away. I don't do it everyday. I have skipped and opted to go for a walk on those days. Sometimes because of time issues and others because I just needed a break but I do love the workout and Next week I hope to move to level 2. Keep up the great work!:smile:
  • MommaToFour
    Options
    You're going to be sore the first few days of each level. I did my 30 days not all consecutive. I generally had one day off a week. People talk about your body needing a break every couple of days, but I disagree. I used 5 pound weights. I don't believe my body needed much of a break from just 5 pound weights! :) Just my opinion. I don't think it matters if you do it in the morning or in the evening. I liked doing mine in the morning because then I had it done and over with and there were no excuses later in my day to keep putting it off. I loved the visual results at the end of my 30 days. I've moved on to doing ripped in 30. I started level 3 this week and I'm in pain! :) Ibuprofen and a hot bath seems to work best. Just keep pushing through it. Often we think we are too sore to work out but once we start working out we are perfectly capable, after all. Good luck!!!! :smile:
  • Twyla123
    Twyla123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One piece of advise that I was given that seemed to help was have a glass of chocolate milk right after. This helps your muscles and joints recovery faster
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did level 1 for 10 days straight & for the first 7 of those days I was incredibly sore. I think I overdid the lunges early on because my knees killed me. The only thing I did was buy some of the topical cream that's supposed to help relieve muscle soreness, and it seemed to help. I took a day's rest between level 1 & level 2 and now I have just finished day 8, level 2 and I'm not really sore at all anymore (except my ankle which gets sore off and on - I think I stress fractured it a while ago & never got it looked at so it's a recurring problem). It does get better! Level 2 is a lot of upper body stuff & I definitely think my shoulders have gotten stronger. Good luck and do what feels best for you!
  • Rebecca_Evans1
    Options
    I know Jillian makes it sound like you should do the workout every day, but it's really not helpful to your body to stress the same muscles two days in a row (they need time in between to repair, that;'s how muscles grow). My advice is to do 30DS Mon, Wed, and Fri, and do some more cardio-centric workout on the other days. That's what I've been doing and I lost 12 lbs in a little over 2 months, reaching my goal weight. Good luck!

I am aiming to do 30DS Tues, Weds and Thurs and other cardio based exercises on Mon and Fri to give the variety so that I don't get bored with it! I think, as you already said, it's good to give the muscles a rest and do a variety of exercises, even if it's just a 30 minute brisk walk, so that your body uses all of its muscles and joints - without causing damage through repetitive movements etc.

Saying that, adding in my own stretches at the end certainly helps with the soreness. Muscles don't hurt half as much as they did on days 3-4 now! I feel the burn, but it's a good burn instead of feeling like I've been kicked in the thighs by an angry horse!!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm now on day 15. Starting on level 2 today (I stayed a lil longer at level 1 than most do) anyway, biofreeze was and continues to be my best friend...lol It got me through the workout while I was sore. And since i'm starting level 2 today, i'll probably need to use it again. Good luck with the shred.
  • daewynn
    Options
    I'm on day 8 and I was very sore the first 3 or 4 days. I started adding 15 to 20 mins of Zumba on the Wii with low intensity an hour or two later or just general dancing and making sure I moved my body. I found this helped loosen up my muscles and made the next day not so tough. It also helped me to get more water into me so it was a win win!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    enjoy the burn-the transformation has begun! Stick to it-it gets easier.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Stretch more at the end. You may want to take a hot shower and stretch some more. Drink lots of water, and up you protein. Also, stretch in the morning. some light OTC pain killer can help too