oily fish

Options
hi
just a quick question. I am trying to eat a more balance range of foods so have some oily fish which you're supposed to eat a couple of times a week however the cals are obvisouly very high. On all other 'diets' I have been on oily fish are known as 'good' fats so not to worry about the calories of them.
So what do I do? Eat it and then struggle for the rest of the day? I could think of a lot of other foods I could have which are lower cals.
Any ideas?

Replies

• miley89
    Options
    Just have a fewer calories tomorrow. It's all about balance.
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi, I dont think you should see it as struggling the rest of the day if you have some oily fish, sometimes I have it for lunch and dinner and I still have cal's left :)
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can also choose a sustainable wild oily fish over a farmed one, which will be more calorific. Oily fish is an excellent and essential food for your diet and certainly worth having over other foods from time to time.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You could just not sweat being over by 100 calories a couple times a week. That's hardly a sin. 100 calories is 10 solid minutes of exercise. 100 calories is hoovering for 20 minutes.

Over on calories or carbs or what have you is no biggie if it's occasional and not by like.. a 4-digit number.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you are over by a little, but by eating this fat you may find you are not as hungry and don't have to worry about going over after all. I often eat an avocado in a day, but it is so filling that I don't have to worry about going over
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Honestly, though they are higher calorie than non-oily fish (?) they aren't as high in calories as other meats like chicken, pork, and beef. I eat fish of all kinds, mainly fresh and frozen, most days of the week. It's not often you see me go a day without it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    hi
    just a quick question. I am trying to eat a more balance range of foods so have some oily fish which you're supposed to eat a couple of times a week however the cals are obvisouly very high. On all other 'diets' I have been on oily fish are known as 'good' fats so not to worry about the calories of them.
    So what do I do? Eat it and then struggle for the rest of the day? I could think of a lot of other foods I could have which are lower cals.
    Any ideas?

Always take note of calories.

Oily fish? Eat it, it is wonderful! You don't have to struggle for any day if you include oily fish as one of your meals.

I eat salmon nearly everyday, in the form of salmon sandwiches (with that and bloody oranges, I will look like a salmon with an orange head one of these days :laugh: ). Mackerel, I love mackerel and sometimes have that as dinner with boiled potatoes and peas. Both these are oily fishes.

Providing you log your food, there is not need to struggle at all. If you are going to eat oily fish however, log it in your meals.
  • shellyshappy
    shellyshappy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just to be calorie conscious I will get the Gorton's salmon in the freezer section they are 100 calories a filet and I eat that with steamed broccoli or sugar snap peas....mmmmm tasty! never go over my cals when I am taking in the right amount of protein ...that helps me curb the hunger.

by the way...I have only been watching my calories on here since the 2/19/12 and I have lost 3.6 lbs so far.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Withervein is totally right. It's not a big deal to go a little under or over on occasion.

Oily fish offers a lot of great benefits. Sardines are a great option: Sustainable and cheap! Don't be afraid of them. I love it with avocado, parsley and lemon on toast. That along side a ton of fruit and you've got a great lunch/dinner. The nutritional benefits are fantastic. Sardines are also loaded with calcium. Mm, now I'm hungry.