Back Issues - need suggestions please :)

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Kelley and I'm new to MFP. I'm only day 5 into my new lifestyle and need a little help!

I have a chronic back condition - coccydynia.
Other than injections, the doctors tell me there's nothing they can do for me.
I opted out of injections a few years ago, because the pain was 10x worse when the drugs would wear off (in only 2-4 weeks!)... I was doing more damage to my tail bone when I was frozen!
Unfortunately, that means a life of chronic pain :(

I've made many changes in my life to "accommodate" the pain and limit the affects of the pain on my life... I have a special chair at work, I "lounge" on soft furniture instead of "sit", and life goes on just fine.

Now -- here is my current problem. Sit-ups, crunches, anything that requires me to sit on the floor and perform movement.
I simply cannot physically do these types of exercises.

If any of you have website suggestions, or have a similar problem and can provide solutions that you use, I would love it!

Thanks friends :)

Replies

• yclayton
    Options
    have you tried using a pillow underneath the tailbone when you are crunching? i have similar issues and that seems to help. good luck!
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    Are you just looking for ab excercises that dont require you getting on the floor?
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Can you do crunches on an exercise ball?
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Jennifer Galardi has a workout that's standing abs, so you can work your core without ever lying on the floor.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    can you do planks? I find them much more effective than crunches, and several types don't require that you sit or otherwise pressure the coccyx.
  • kelleymonty
    Options
    Unfortunately the softer the surface, the worse it is.
    I'm great to sit on the floor, just not add any movement that would alter the position of the tail bone itself.

Unfortunately the exercise ball is not my friend.

I guess, yes, I would be looking for ab exercises that would require no sitting...
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have back problems too, so my pilates instructor gave me some exercises to help tone my stomach.
    Can you get on all 4's? if so I might have an exercise you can do.
  • kelleymonty
    Options
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Every move you can do lying on the floor you can do standing up.
  • kelleymonty
    Options
    Hi
    I have back problems too, so my pilates instructor gave me some exercises to help tone my stomach.
    Can you get on all 4's? if so I might have an exercise you can do.

I can indeed! Would love to hear from you. Thank you!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    can you do planks? I find them much more effective than crunches, and several types don't require that you sit or otherwise pressure the coccyx.

Yes. Planks and their variations are great.
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try some water aerobics?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have an elongated coccyx bone and crunches are painful for me too. To the point where I forced my way through a pilates class once and ended up bleeding pretty badly.

Then I started working with a trainer and he told me that we weren't going to focus too much on my abs. WHAT!?!? We focused on form instead. Then, at the end of my sessions with him, I noticed that I had a REALLY nice 6-pack going on. So I decided to use the ab strap thinking that I'd maybe be able to get 10. When I was able to do 40 without blinking, I started to realize the importance of form and how much it benefits the core. Now I can do pikes and jackknifes with no problems and even though I've had a baby in the last year, I still have some awesome core strength.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well. I re-strained my neck and back muscles recently doing the floor ab work on 30DS and my massage therapist instructed me yesterday to do ab excerices on all fours or standing.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are having to live with this pain. I agree with dragomom. Get in the water. Swimming, water aerobics, anything like that. That can take the pressure off and be very therapeutic for you. Look into classes at a pool near you. Almost all towns/cities have them. Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou: