Breakfast: Better to eat junk or skip?

Options
Today I had one of those mornings. We've all had them: woke up 10 minutes late and everything that could go wrong did. So instead of the extra 10-20 minutes I usually have to make myself breakfast, I found I was now running about 10 minutes behind. Had to rush out the door to get the kids to school. So I found myself starving and debating on whether it was better to just skip breakfast and wait another 4 hours until lunch with absolutely no food in me, or stop at Arby's and get a croissant and manage my calories/sodium later in the day. I opted for Arby's. What would you have done? What do you think is the lesser of two evils? Starving or eating junk?

I know people are going to give me suggestions about keeping oatmeal, protein bars, etc at my office or in my van and I typically do that. However, I ran out of oatmeal last week and forgot to get some more at the store.

Replies

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would say the Arby's too. Personally, if I don't eat often enough, I get so shakey and sick. So I carry glucose tablets just in case. But my fitness buddy always says that it's better to eat crap than skip. So, run through a drive through and eat as well as you can. That's my honest opinion. :ohwell:
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I would've gone with Arby's as well (hold the cheese, switch out the croissant for a regular bun or english muffin) with a huge cup of ice water. :drinker:
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would run into a convenience store and get some fruit. It can't take any longer than going to Arby's.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would have also gone with getting something to eat but a fast food croissant probably wasn't the best choice. Those are absolutely laden with butter. McDonald's Egg McMuffin is surprisingly healthy for a fast food breakfast. Also, I try to plan for mornings like this. Having some granola and bananas that I can grab on my way out the door generally alleviates these kinds of problems.
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    Today I had one of those mornings. We've all had them: woke up 10 minutes late and everything that could go wrong did. So instead of the extra 10-20 minutes I usually have to make myself breakfast, I found I was now running about 10 minutes behind. Had to rush out the door to get the kids to school. So I found myself starving and debating on whether it was better to just skip breakfast and wait another 4 hours until lunch with absolutely no food in me, or stop at Arby's and get a croissant and manage my calories/sodium later in the day. I opted for Arby's. What would you have done? What do you think is the lesser of two evils? Starving or eating junk?

I know people are going to give me suggestions about keeping oatmeal, protein bars, etc at my office or in my van and I typically do that. However, I ran out of oatmeal last week and forgot to get some more at the store.

I would have done the same thing. I feel like if I have the choice to not eat or eat (even if it's an unhealthy decision), I'd always choose eat. I'm not an expert by any means, but I feel like eating is always better than not eating at all.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd have to have SOMETHING, rather than nothing. But I usually have fruit, cereal bars etc handy ready to grab. And if not, I'd go to a shop and get some of those rather than the criossant.
  • Crimson_
    Options
    when this happens to me i drive through dunkin donuts and get the egg and cheese wake up wrap(180calories) and a black coffee(i add a pack of slenda cause thats how i like it)
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This happened to me just this morning! AND I won't be eating lunch either, so I figured get something that will keep me full long enough, and then have super healthy meal for dinner to finish up my calories for the day.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would have made the most healthiest choice at arbys that I could have. I would never skip breakfast. Lunch will come around and you will be so hungry that you will probably binge and completely ruin your day! I think you made the right choice.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had this happen last week. I went to the convenience store and bought a small bag of beef jerky (120 cal) and a small banana. It tasted gross first thing in the morning, but it definitely filled me up. In fact, it filled me up so much that I bought a few more of the beef jerky bags to keep in my purse. They are AWFUL for sodium, but have a LOT of protein and so few calories.

(if i get hit by a bus, the police are going to wonder what kind of weirdo is hoarding dried beef in her purse. I expect my MFP friends to explain for me )
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    when this happens to me i drive through dunkin donuts and get the egg and cheese wake up wrap(180calories)

I do the same thing. I will stop at a fast food place but make a good choice, such as one of the low cal options at Dinkin Donuts, an Egg McMuffin (300 calories) from McDonalds, Starbucks has many healthier options, etc. Bottom line: don't tank your day and go all out for the sausage, egg, and cheese with a side of fried potatoes. We can all do better than that.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing... ran out the door this morning and left my 2 travel mugs behind! I stay away from the junk though. Subway has awesome breakfast sandwiches. I eat them on flatbread... absolute heaven! Loaded up sandwich for $3.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, McDonads is out of my way or I would've gotten the oatmeal or fruit and yogurt there. I pass an Arby's and Dunkin Donuts. I COMPLETELY forgot about the healthy option at DD! I will certainly remember that next time. The convenience store is a good idea. Unfortulately the one I pass has NO fresh fruit.. Their breakfast options include Muffins, Sausage English Muffins, PopTarts, etc. Nothing really healthy. Not even oatmeal. I never considered Beef Jerky for breakfast..lol. Hmm...interesting!

Thanks for the tips, guys. Some I never even thought of....
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I would of stopped at chick fila and got the yogurt parfait to eat or the oatmeal. But you can always have fruit at your house like bananas, and something easy to grab for days like those.