How Ive lost 65 lbs total (55 to go)

Options
Hi! This is my first success story, EVER... I thought I was going to wait till I got to 140 (my goal) but I figured, what the heh.....A quick background on me.. In high school I maintained between 140-150 lbs, I did not eat healthy, however I was very involved in sports, which I believe is why my weight was kept more in check. After high school, my eating habits stayed the same and the activity stopped, so on came the pounds. I never weighed myself and just thought, Oh Im just curvy. Then when clothes no longer fit, I started getting depressed. The more sad I got, the more I ate bad foods. To make a long story short I stepped on the scale one day in Dec 2010 and the scale showed 265. I knew I had to make a change. I started walking with a friend, then I slowly started changing my eating habits. I completely admit I HATE exercise, so trust me when I say the weight came off slowly. I didn't weigh myself often, because I didnt want to be more depressed, so I stepped on it every once and awhile. Then one day it said 255, then 245, then 235 and so on. I only walked, I didn't have confident in myself to do DVD's or join a gym, I truely can't even say that I had low self-esteam.. I had NONE at all. I didn't believe in myself. I struggled with the weekend binges, the late night snacking, gain a pound, lose a pound.... In Jan 2012 I found MFP. I started at 225, the first month I lost 10 lbs. I increased my exercise but I found that some of the options I used for better eating like Lean Cuisines and Smart ones I was hungry afterwards, so after a ton of research I found the Dukan Diet. I have been on this since Jan 31st and have lost 15 lbs. Have I fallen off the wagon? Of course I have. Its not about how many times you fall off... Its about how many times you get back on your plan. Is Dukan right for everyone? No, but for me it works. Today I am 200 lbs. Is it ONEderland? No, but I will get there soon. The difference between how I look at myself now vs. back then is now I believe in myself. And that's all it takes. The only person that can lose weight for you, is you. Do you have to do P90x or spend 5 hours in the gym in the beginning? No, you dont have to, just walk, your walk will turn into a jog, then one day you will be running. The small steps in life is what adds up to big weight loss. I bought an exercise peddler like a lil mini bike that shows calorie burn, I sit in a chair and peddle while watching tv. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Take a 30 min walk at lunch with your coworkers instead of sitting in the break room. Or, walk alone. Be prepared, I carry a big lunch bag everyday to work and home that contains breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If you stay prepared a day ahead of time it makes staying on track a lot easier. A common statement, Ive read on MFP is "losing weight is hard," I don't believe losing weight is hard. Losing weight is the easy part. Me being 265, morbidly obese, not finding clothes that fit, avoiding the camera, being depressed, hating myself... that is the hard/sad part of the whole process. Today at 200, im more confident, more clothes fit, I recieve more compliments and the most important thing... I BELIEVE IN MYSELF!!! For anyone in your life who has ever put you down about your weight, think of them when you go to exercise, show them that you can do this. Also, I have not taking any diet pills or surgery, just exercise and eating better.

Here are my tricks along the way:
1. Believe that you can do this. Focus on 5-10 lbs at a time, not the fact that you may have 50 or something to lose.
2. Log everything you eat, good or bad. Keep a small notepad in your car or purse if you can't log onto MFP.
3. On MFP I added several people who have lost weight after reading their success stories, because it motivated me
4. Water, Water, Water.. Drink as much as you can. It will help you feel full and helps you from retaining water
5. Join groups and be involved. By joining groups it gives you the accountability
6. Post a picture of an outfit you would LOVE to wear. I have a picture of small shorts from Aeropostale saved on my phone, when I want fast food. I look at that picture on my phone, reminds me to stay on track. "Nothing taste, as good as skinny will feel"
7. I personally avoid eating bread because for me when I eat bread or the "bad" carbs I find myself hungrier then before I even started eating. Everyones different, find what works for you.
8. Also I keep a picture of when I weighed 265 in my purse as well as me at 145 in high school. This also keeps me on track. If I start to get down about not being at a lower number then I look at the 265 pic and see how far ive come. I will post these to MFP.
9. Focus on one day at a time, then the next day start over and do it all again. Repeat to yourself, "I can do this."
10. I workout in the mornings, that way its done for the day.

My fav quote: "I haven't reached my goal yet... but TODAY, I'm closer then I was YESTERDAY!!!"

I hope this information helps. Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Awesome job hun! Hopefully one day I will be in your shoes!
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    I really needed to hear that today. THANK YOU for being so open and sharing your story, including your struggles.
    Keep up the good work!
  • notgivingup2012
    Options
    Ur welcome! Thank you for taking the time to read this. The first step is beliving you can do it, once you have that the rest is achieveable. Good luck, you can do this! :)
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love reading your posts. You're always so inspirational and your quotes always bring a smile to my face and a help to keep me motivated.

Great job so far and I can't wait to see your pics when you get down to your goal weight (which I have no doubt you will achieve).

Claire
  • beggaboo2000
    beggaboo2000 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your progress!!
  • Shazaa
    Options
    Your story sounds exactly like me - thank you so much for giving me in the burst I needed to keep going. Let us all keep up the good work we're doing
  • mdr3t
    mdr3t Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That was awesome and just what I needed to hear today. Thanks so much for sharing your story! It is so true.:smile:
  • shawnadwyer
    shawnadwyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    total boost..... i love heaing positive things keep up the good work
  • exzcape
    exzcape Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!!! Great Job! :)
  • DANCE53
    DANCE53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    CONGRADULATIONS AWESOME JOB I ALSO HAVE LOST 65LBS. LIKE TO LOSE 15LBS MORE YOUR RIGHT EXCRISE AND WATER THE KEY AND RIGHT MIND SET.
  • hsandall
    hsandall Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Love your post, great inspiration to us all, keep it up so I can see you pictures!!!! Glad you r feeling better bout yourself and gaining confidence.
  • oligard
    oligard Posts: 141
    Options
    good tips.thanks
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have I fallen off the wagon? Of course I have. Its not about how many times you fall off... Its about how many times you get back on your plan

this has given me the inspiration to keep on going!!! i've been falling off and on the wagon since november. thank you for posting :flowerforyou:
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Love that quote. What a motivational story! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your progress and Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • gonnareachmygoal
    gonnareachmygoal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post!!!!! Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • 2lovelala
    Options
    Thank you for posting this at 200. You are a success! Can't wait to see your update at 140!
  • Ness8411
    Options
    Congrats. My mom does Dunkan diet, even with cheating she lost 10lbs in 2 weeks
  • TropiKalSTORM
    TropiKalSTORM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love the post... Great Tips!
  • EyesOfBlue68
    Options
    CoNgRaTs!!! Awesome story! What an inspiration you are. Thank you!!!
  • notgivingup2012
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words... I know this is possible, we will all reach our goal weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!