Shin Splints

Options
Anyone have some advice on how to possibly stretch the muscle next to my shin? Or is massage the only way to help with the soreness??

Replies

• thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This isn't stretching - but I always prefer to foam roll! For me it's what works the best :)
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This isn't stretching - but I always prefer to foam roll! For me it's what works the best :)

Oh, foam rolling.....the thing I love to hate more than anything else...

Shin splints can be chronic so the best thing is to address why you have them.

For prevention/healing I would do some toe raises (heels on floor, see how many times you can raise and lower your toes in 60 seconds. I do this at my desk at work.), calf raises on steps, and make sure you stretch well after a run. make sure you're in an appropriate shoe as well.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I find that if the arch support inserts in my shoes are getting worn out, I tend to get shin splints. So, perhaps visiting a quality shoe store and getting inserts will help.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I do a stretch that is similar to the "up" position of a pushup one leg at a time (one bent, one straight and stretching), it seems to prevent them.
  • missfitjunkie
    Options
    I also recommend ice massage. Get you some styrafoam cups and place them in the freezer....ice massage your shins and just peel away the styrafoam as your ice melts...it helps...but i also recommend refraining from whatever activity is making them worse...I used to have them really bad, and a combo of water exercises, ice, and inserts (i have super flat feet) did the trick.

Hope this helps!