Options
    k
  • manda1028
    Options
    spinach with kidney beans, craisins, sunflower seeds, simple but amazing
  • deeva2266
    deeva2266 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use heads of romaine and I add 1 cup of broccoli slaw to it. Very filling. I also like rasberry vinaigrette almonds sunflower seeds and multi color tortila strips
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i buy the same basis for my salads :
    baby spinach, spring mix and cucumbers every week, but each week i will vary it by adding in a few guest stars.
    grilled onions, red peppers, sprouts, sweet potato, fennel, avocados, and beets are all good to add in.

for dressing i love Trader joe's champagne pear dressing (45 cals per serving) and their cilantro dressing (also 45 cals).

one of my favorite salads is something a russian friend introduced me to : spinach, beets and sardines. no dressing needed since the srdines tend to be oily enough. i usually just add some of my homemade seasoning mix (which has a little of about 15 different spices)
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I made this a couple of days ago and thought it was a bit spesh...

5 slices butternut pumpkin about 4mm thick. Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with ground coriander seeds. Roast in oven for around 15 mins on 220 and repeat on the other side.

In a large bowl throw in:
    1.5 cups mixed lettuce
    1 tomato
    1/3 red capsicum
    1/2 cup cubed cucumber
    1/4 cup pistacios

Dice up the roasted pumpkin and throw it on top. Beautiful!!

Nutrition (including ALL ingredients)
    Calories 298
    carbs 31
    fat 17 - the good kind
    protein 13
    sugar 13
    sodium 146

:smile:

Edited to add: and there's no need for dressing either!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I saw on one of the posts for salad dressing mix plain Greek yogurt with dry Ranch salad dressing to give you Ranch dressing without all the calories - I bought both today have not tried it yet.

I did this today! I used a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch powder, 1C 2% milk (all I had here for the kids--next time I'll try non), and 1C of Trader Joe organic plain yogurt. Even being extra generous, I couldn't get the calorie count above 30 calories for 2TBSP, and it tastes really good. Waaaay better than the bottled stuff, which has a sort of "sweet" flavor. Yucko. Wish I'd found this ages ago.
    The only thing is that the mix has MSG, for those of you who are trying to avoid it. :)
    I also like to mix some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and honey (I get it locally), whisk it all together for a honey mustard vinaigrette. Delicious!
    My favorite topper is feta cheese. I could eat that on every salad! Also, olives, bell peppers, onions, and jalapenos! (keep an eye of the sodium in those things, though) Great post, thanks for the ideas everyone! :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I saw on one of the posts for salad dressing mix plain Greek yogurt with dry Ranch salad dressing to give you Ranch dressing without all the calories - I bought both today have not tried it yet.

Genious!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have just started using 1% cottage cheese instead of dressing. It saves me 100's of calories and blows me away how good it is. I had a hard time trying it cause I just didn't think I could ever replace ranch dressing but now I actually prefer it!
    Back in the '50's my mother used to make a dressing by blending cottage cheese, yogurt, worcester sauce, dried onion flakes and parseley. I remember I really liked it but I haven't made it for years.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This is my go to salad. Granted it does have some things that aren't exactly low fat, but if you keep it to a minimum it's OK. Just make a regular tossed salad, I like to use 50-50 romaine and spinach. But anyway, put in about 4 oz of grilled chicken and then sprinkle a few bbq corn chips on instead of croutons. now for the magic. Get some hidden valley spicy ranch and use 1-2 tablespoons of that and then 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite bbq sauce. Sounds crazy, but it's completely addictive. For a southwest flair, you can add some black beans and/or whole kernal corn, just a tablespoon of each works. Anyway, there's my 2 cents ;o)
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    baby spinach
    low fat fetta
    oven roasted pumpkin or sweet potato
    baby beetroot
    pine nuts
    balsamic dressing
  • blackberrypie
    Options
    I like making salsa and mixing it with some greek yogurt for dressing! :D With a salad with avacados, and slivered peppers and onions, and lots of greens, and jicama.. so good!
  • blackberrypie
    Options
    Oh and a vinaigrette I make.. I juice an orange, put about half that in a bottle with rind, balsamic vinegar, and a splash of olive oil. Its really good on salads with lots of fruit and Gorgonzola! :) Or if I have kumquats, I slice a couple up really thinly and put that instead of the rinds. It looks really pretty! :)
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    hi.

bump.
  • vschwoob
    vschwoob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOW thaks everyone for the suggestions! I have some wonderful suggestions to try!
    I like to have a salad at lunch but was getting tired of the same ol salad!
    GOTTA try the cherrios and butternut squash (which we always have in the fridge)
    I really appreciate all the suggestions!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I love anything greek salad like lol so this is one of my faves:

cucumbers
    tomatoes
    red onion
    red and/or green peppers
    black olives (i dont like them )
    and a can of drain and rinsed chick peas
    little bit of feta crumbled
    and italian, or sun dried tomato dressing or even a lil oil and vinager and oregano

the other one i like:
    baby spinach
    strawberries
    madarine pieces
    sunflower seeds or almonds or walnuts
    raspberry vinegrette
    and Feta!
    never thought i'd put feta with fruit but in this salad it's amazing

and if Im looking for a higher calorie dinner salad, I'll do a beef or chicken taco salad with salsa and cottage cheese as my dressing
  • aliric
    aliric Posts: 69
    Options
    There is a salad at Sams Club made by Taylor Farms. It is Vegetable chopped salad in a bag..It is so good and its like a kit with sunflower seeds and a small packet of bacon bits. It has a little packet of dressing too. You mix it all up and it makes about 3 cups. It is 160 calories for 11/4 cups. Makes a great side with dinner or lunch.