losing weight in the 50's age bracket

Options
Hello all,

I am new to MFP and have been doing this for about 2 weeks now. Well, i must say it is rough losing weight for myself at this age and i am wondering if others are in the same boat as myself. I am working out, eating my goal calories each day and yet when i weighed in, the scale will not budge. However, i have noticed that my clothes are fitting better,,what is the deal on this?

I need some advice.

thanks.

Replies

• Debrawn
    Options
    Hi lena. I just posted the same topic about half hour ago!!! had a bad disk and broken rib and took 5 rounds of steroids over a 4 mo period and gained 50 lbs...thought they would come off quick because I gained them quick but apparently they have adhered to me permanently. I have been under my cal everyday and still not much results! Keep me posted on your progress.
  • steve1126
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the same boat as well. It certainly went on much quicker than it comes off. I was actually on here before and fell off the wagon and put on another 20 lbs. Now, I've been diagnosed as diabetic (type 2) and I am thoroughly disgusted with myself! And I know it's my own fault. Hopefully, this time I'll be able to stick to it because it has become much more than just losing weight, it's now about trying to stay alive. I've already had a stroke 7 years ago, you would think that's enough of a wake up call? I wish I could find the key to total commitment to a healthy and active lifestyle. Any suggestions are more than welcome.
  • janetbythesea
    Options
    Hi Guys...

it took an awful long time to work it out but I think i finally got it right. I am 57 and just a couple of pounds off my target weight. Four stones in total. I am convinced that it ain't the number of calories which is the key but the amount of FAT in the calories....
    Message me if you think I can help.
  • suncat
    suncat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in the same steroid boat as you, Debrawn. I took them for four months years ago, gained 30 pounds in that time and have never been able to get it to budge.

You'd think that they would come off quickly, since they piled on quickly - and because you didn't actually *do* anything like overeating to gain them - but no. I keep believing, though. :)
  • lena_walt
    lena_walt Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the Over 50's MFPers!!
    Consistency and Consistency are the 2 Most important Keys, in my opinion, LOL! Oh, and Strength Training helps.
    Lena, it sounds like youare losing inches and/or firming up That is AWESOME!!
    :drinker: Hang in there, Folks!! We CAN do this!!
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the same boat as well. It certainly went on much quicker than it comes off. I was actually on here before and fell off the wagon and put on another 20 lbs. Now, I've been diagnosed as diabetic (type 2) and I am thoroughly disgusted with myself! And I know it's my own fault. Hopefully, this time I'll be able to stick to it because it has become much more than just losing weight, it's now about trying to stay alive. I've already had a stroke 7 years ago, you would think that's enough of a wake up call? I wish I could find the key to total commitment to a healthy and active lifestyle. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Steve:

My Dad was actually diagnosed as type II in his 70's. He had been signinficantly overweight since he was in his 30's (my Mom's a good cook.) He actually started eating a diabetic diet and within 6 months he had the diabetes under control - no insulin, and in 12 months, he had lost about 70 pounds - he actually weighed less than me for the first time ever, and that was before I put on a bunch of weight. I think the key is/was he did NOT diet - just ate healthy - cut out the processed sugars, more raw veggies, and lean meat, and made that a way of life. He's almost 80 now, and he is healthier today than he had been in a long time.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also gained weight from steroids related to chemo last year - agreed that it doesn't seem fair that those particular pounds go on so much more easily than they come off!!! But to encourage you, they DO come off - in my case I think because I had many months of reduced activity I lost muscle, and after treatment when I could start trying to lose the first thing that had to happen was that I had to ramp up the exercising. So it felt as if I wasn't making any progress for a month or 6 weeks, other than my clothes felt a litte better so I knew *something* good was happening! So don't give up!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as yourself. I am 58 and started with MFP on Jan 19th and so far I have lost about 12 pounds. My clothes are fitting better and people recently are telling me that I look smaller and they see a change in me. However, I do get frustrated that with lot of hard work and eating right, the weight is not coming off as much as I want to. People say they lost average of 10 to 15 pounds in a month where as it has taken close to 2 months for me. But well given my age and type of metabolism, I know I have to be patient. Just hang in there and the weight will come off slowly and steadily.
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi Lena,

It's already been posted, but consistency is key. I'd also say patience is important. Slow and steady will get you to where you want to go. You say you're working out, what are you doing? If you're meeting your calorie goals, perhaps an increase in you exercise intensity, or the types of exercise you're performing would help. I dropped from the 260 -265 range to my current 225 - 230 range at the age of 51. It can happen. Good luck! :wink:
  • KellyLin62
    Options
    WOW! I echo the same grief! I am 50 and just finished 4 months of steroids for pneumonia!! I gained 15 pounds!! I too am amazed at how fast it goes on and what a pain to get it off!!! I'm realizing Sugar is the killer! Just trying to get my head in the game and stay the course!!

Good luck my 50 something friends!! we can do this!
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is most definately a slow process. I am 54 and I have MS, so exercise is difficult. However, time, patience and dedication will win the battle. It has taken me over a year to lose 60 lbs and I have another 115 lbs to go. I don't expect miracles, I am just taking it one day at a time and getting healthier which is my primary goal. Any of you please feel free to send me a friend request, I plan to be on here for a long, long time!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I just stared eating all my exercise calories to see if not eating them was causing the problem. I don't care if I lose weight, I just want to lose the inches and firm up. I do circuit training in hopes that I will burn calories throughout the day and to tighten up. I know it will take time, but in the end it will be worth it, so hang in there!
  • bj6886
    bj6886 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow 50's !!! 51 soon to be 52 in 2 1/2 months. Sometimes the scale is not our friend. I look at my hard work and occasionally will think about how much easier it came off in my younger years. I have been so focused on the scale that I was shocked when I realized my hips were about 2 inches smaller. That was a lovely surprise.

Hang in there. You are getting healthier and the scale will hopefully catch up.
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I too am over 50. I keep hearing people talk about steroids for various health issues. Been there done that, too - More thana few times. Now the doctors that I go to know my view on steroids - if they prescribe them, I will not ever go back to their office. Steroids ravage your body and can cause more harm than good. They make you crave carbs, make you beyond irritable, give you insomnia and eventually can cause cancer. I have taken them for allergy issues, pneumonia and for back issues. I have had two back surgeries with rods and screws. No car accident or other issues, just a bad back.

I see a good chiropractor now for my back issues and the allergies have improved as well. A healthy diet and movement seems to be the key to it all. Insane exercise is not what I am talking about - movement - getting out of the recliner (I lived there for several years) and just moving. My Gastro doctor and chiropractor both recommended a Low Glycemic index diet and mfp. Both are able to look at my food and exercise log-ins and the weight is finally starting to come off. Slowly but a true lifestyle change is what you need.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I find that I am ALWAYS hungry and by the end of the day I am ravenous. Not sure what to do about it. Was never like this when I was younger.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hormonal issues and losing muscle are huge factors when we age.

The key is to start building back the muscle you have lost. It works!!!!

Start lifting folks!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 58 and pretty much to my goal weight. This really hasn't been hard at all, you just have to be consistent. A lot of people get on here and don't eat enough and that slows down their progress.....you have to eat to speed up your metabolism. I got a HRM so that I would know for sure how many calories I was burning and I eat back my exercise calories. If you do this is it easy to see how you can use this site to monitor yourself for ever, and eat what you want.

Best of luck to you!!!
  • fitnessbudget
    Options
    Believe it or not, you're right on target. Give your body a chance to adjust and respond. Stay hydrated and try a variety of exercises to keep the muscles guessing. You are describing a body that is 'leaning out' . Friend me if you want.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just turned 53. Started this journey on May 15 and am down 48.5 lbs. 1.5 lb from goal. I also went through menopause this year but had no extreme symptoms so didn't require any HRT or meds. My doctor was amazed when I went for my annual check up that I lost weight the same year I went through menopause.

Log daily. Stay within your calorie goals (I do not eat back my exercise calories). Buy a Heart Rate Monitor so you know how many calories you REALLY burn when you work out I work out 4-5 times a week and just started running the end of October. Ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving day. I have an elliptical at home and use DVD's and WII exercise routines. Stick with it. Age might make it take a little while longer but this thing called lifestyle change is so worth it.