NSV...on the treadmill last night.

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I ran. Well, jogged actually. For almost 6 minutes straight at an incline of 5 to 8%. I've been walking on the treadmill since October and gradually did things to increase my calorie burn. I started walking 3.0 MPH for 20 minutes with no incline 3 times a week and worked my way up. As of last week, I was doing about 40 to 45 minutes at 3.5 MPH (which is really my max walking rate, anything faster and I have to break into a jog, must be because of my short legs LOL) with an incline varied up to 4%, while doing arm exercises (alternating punches, bicep curls, and overhead raises). I was doing that workout about 5 times a week. I had tried doing C25K a couple months ago and did the first two sessions but quickly found that my body didn't like it. I could tell I would start to develop shin splints and tendonitis so I went back to walking. I also could just barely do the 90 seconds of jogging.

Last night I decided to try something different because I didn't really have 40 to 45 minutes to work out. I tried a program on my treadmill. I did the short/easiest one. It was 20 minutes and varied up to 8% incline and 4.0 MPH. I did almost the entire thing the way it was programmed. The only thing I did was go down from the 8% incline early, though did more than half of that.

But the biggest accomplishment was that I jogged...for 6 minutes straight! I realize that's kind of pitiful to people more fit than me, but that's huge for me. And, I had no signs of impending shin splints or tendonitis.

Replies

• britexmom
    Options
    That is Awesome ! Every milestone is worthy of a pat on the back :) Keep up the great work.
  • BornToRun14
    Options
    Congrats!! That's awesome!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story!!! Great job :happy:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "pitiful" about that at all! Fabulous! :smile:
  • beachgirl10
    beachgirl10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good Job! It will get you motivated to do it again! Don't worry, I know how it feels to jog for a few minutes and to be proud! Keep it up:wink:
  • chrislin2011
    chrislin2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Being able to jog/run on the treadmill as a GREAT NSV:) Congratulations! It took me 2 weeks just to let go when I started walking on the treadmill. Hopefully I can jog on it soon, it's been 3 months of walking at various inclines and now at 3.5mph. Thans for the motivation:)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Nice job!

PS make sure you are wearing the right shoes...and stretch really well AFTER your run/walk...that should help with any shin pain :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    PS I started running...well run/walking...in February 2011. At that time, I could run for 15 seconds at a time.

A few weeks ago I ran for 6 miles straight. It took me a year to get to that point! I never thought I would be able to run for even 5 minutes...So...if you do want to do more running...you'll get there :)
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I think its fantastic! Congratulations! :)
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Way to go and your 6 minutes is not pitiful...ITS GREAT!!! any progress is great progress. CELEBRATE!!!!
  • timaeus_drache
    timaeus_drache Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There is *nothing* pitiful about it all, good on ya! Remember no matter how slow you might think you are, you are lapping everyone who sits on the couch! :) I started running a couple years ago, and when I started I could barely go for a minute at a time. Now I run half-marathons, not fast mind you, but I run them.

You are doing it the right way, and good things are and will happen for your efforts! :)
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congrats on the progress :bigsmile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Great result, and what a challenging elevation, well done you!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Being able to jog/run on the treadmill as a GREAT NSV:) Congratulations! It took me 2 weeks just to let go when I started walking on the treadmill. Hopefully I can jog on it soon, it's been 3 months of walking at various inclines and now at 3.5mph. Thans for the motivation:)

I understand about the holding on! I did have to hold on while I jogged most of the time. Not when I walk, but when I let go when I job, my equilibrium just seems off. Hopefully that will improve quickly like it did with walking.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!