The best Salmon Cakes EVER!!! (Especially for people who don

Options
I am not a fish person. I'm not even a seafood person. I see a tuna steak and I'm like "where's the beef???" But I know to embrace a true healthy diet I have to squeeze the healthy fish in there so I cam across this salmon cake recipe and decided to give it a try. It was delicious! I made the recipe exactly and it was a crowd pleaser even for my fiance (who's not on a diet!). Love diet food that doesn't taste like diet food! I served it with baked fries and green beans.

Aioli:
2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
Cakes:
3 (6-ounce) cans skinless, boneless pink salmon in water, drained
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs (Panko)
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
1 tablespoon canola oil
Preparation

To prepare aioli, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
To prepare cakes, combine salmon and next 5 ingredients (through mustard) in a medium bowl. Divide salmon mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each portion into a (1/2-inch-thick) patty. Dredge patties in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and heated through. Serve aioli over salmon.

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the nutritional info is? It'd be great if you were able to post it!

Looks great though!
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sara14328 wrote: »
    I am not a fish person. I'm not even a seafood person. I see a tuna steak and I'm like "where's the beef???" But I know to embrace a true healthy diet I have to squeeze the healthy fish in there so I cam across this salmon cake recipe and decided to give it a try. It was delicious! I made the recipe exactly and it was a crowd pleaser even for my fiance (who's not on a diet!). Love diet food that doesn't taste like diet food! I served it with baked fries and green beans.

Aioli:
    Cakes:
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    Preparation

To prepare cakes, combine salmon and next 5 ingredients (through mustard) in a medium bowl. Divide salmon mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each portion into a (1/2-inch-thick) patty. Dredge patties in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and heated through. Serve aioli over salmon.

Bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • suamee
    suamee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yummy.. Will try one day
  • cdamico1
    cdamico1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For the panko crumbs, is it 2 tablespoons or 1/2 cup?
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump - I think my kids will love these
  • jmassel0502
    jmassel0502 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For the panko crumbs, is it 2 tablespoons or 1/2 cup?

The way I read it, 2tbsp goes in the mix, 1/2 cup is for breading them after they're mixed & formed
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I may try after I figure out the nutritional breakdown. :wink:
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Do you mash up the salmon to mix with the other ingredients? How does that work?

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Bumpity bump! I might add a bit of minced jalepeno or a dash of cayenne pepper for a bit more kick. (I like things super spicy!)
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I put this into the recipe builder (keep in mind, I did NOT put in fat free anything), and I double/triple checked calorie listings for the items (yes, I know there's still room for error), and it came to 352 calories per serving (I put a serving as 2 salmon patties, since the recipe is supposed to make 8 patties total). I included the Aioli to be put on top of the patties in the recipe calculation (I'm not a huge sauce person, so that amount described from 2 tbs mayo, etc., works for 8 patties).

Total Fat 25 g 38 %
    Saturated Fat 4 g 18 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 6 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 60 mg 20 %
    Sodium 908 mg 38 %
    Potassium 52 mg 1 %
    Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2 %
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 23 g 47 %
    Vitamin A 2 %
    Vitamin C 3 %
    Calcium 1 %
    Iron 6 %

Yes, if you go the fat free route, you'll save on calories, but personally, I don't consider 352 to be over the top as a serving (pair it with some fresh roasted asparagus and life is good). :smile:

eta: I only put in 1/2 cup of the panko crumbs, since I would take the original 2 tbs that goes into the patties from that).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you Both! :) I no longer use rapeseed oil (Canola oil) could I use coconut oil at that heat? Or is it just EVOO that you can't use at high heat?

@sara14328

The Best Salmon Cakes Ever

Aioli:

Cakes:
    1 tablespoon canola oil

Preparation

@imju5tme
    I put this into the recipe builder (keep in mind, I did NOT put in fat free anything), and I double/triple checked calorie listings for the items (yes, I know there's still room for error), and it came to 352 calories per serving (I put a serving as 2 salmon patties, since the recipe is supposed to make 8 patties total). I included the Aioli to be put on top of the patties in the recipe calculation (I'm not a huge sauce person, so that amount described from 2 tbs mayo, etc., works for 8 patties).

Total Fat 25 g 38 %
    Saturated Fat 4 g 18 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 6 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 60 mg 20 %
    Sodium 908 mg 38 %
    Potassium 52 mg 1 %
    Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2 %
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 23 g 47 %
    Vitamin A 2 %
    Vitamin C 3 %
    Calcium 1 %
    Iron 6 %

Yes, if you go the fat free route, you'll save on calories, but personally, I don't consider 352 to be over the top as a serving (pair it with some fresh roasted asparagus and life is good). :smile:

eta: I only put in 1/2 cup of the panko crumbs, since I would take the original 2 tbs that goes into the patties from that).