When are you a fitness junkie?

Options
Today, on my day off I was excited to go spend extra time at the gym since I usually have a very limited time on the days I work. I put on my clothes and search for my keys EVERYWHERE. I can't leave or enter my gym without them. And for some reason the office was closed so I couldn't get a spare. I became very irritable when I found out my boyfriend had accidentally taken them. to the point of angry.

I calm myself down and tell myself he'll be home in ONLY 5 HOURS! I can't run due to my bad knees, so the elliptical is my main source of cardio and I'm not spending an hour on it a DAY. I'm OCD and like to have a set schedule on how I do things, how long, and what time. On top of that my apartment gym closes early in the evening so I can't just go late. Then my friend calls and DESPERATELY wants to hang out since she was was stood up by some guy. I tried explaining that I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get home so I can go to the gym at a decent hour. But she's my good friend and telling her no basically wasn't an option. "Walking around the mall burns calories"....yeah like 150 an hour. -_- I can' burn near 700 on an elliptical in the same amount of time. And I already didn't work out as much as I would have liked out once this week.

What I'm trying to figure out is how irrational I'm being. Now that I've been on this schedule for a month if something ruins my routine I become irritable and mad. If I don't get in my hour of cardio I feel worthless, and nearly want to cry or eat less when I don't get my work out hours in. I fear my OCD may also be contributing to my feelings.

Is this normal? Or is there a way to calm these feelings?

Replies

• supersourbubble
    Options
    I went through the same thing, and kinda still do. I get frustrated when my failures to meet goals are due to things i cant control. I have to breathe and calm down. You could watch a circuit training video on youtube 2x and get exercise that way. I watch jillian michaels one
  • bigdizzawg
    bigdizzawg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Damn kid that sounds brutal... A good trick I learned because I have to travel for work from time to time is that gym's like LA fitness, 24hr fitness will sell you a day pass for $5-10. Next time walk, bike, beg for a ride, or tell your homegirl to join you in the gym that way you don't have to waits for no man... Hope you got in a lil' cardio yesterday, I know I did, gotta love salsa dancing ;-)
  • bigdizzawg
    bigdizzawg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also, I think it's completely rational to be upset just make sure you don't lose any friends over it. I get upset whenever I get 'tude from the gf cuz she wants to prepare my food different from the way I normally do it... When you have a system that you know works it's annoying when someone throws a wrench into it.