Bread substitutes

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey guys,

I gave up bread for lent but I'm just not feeling full at all since doing it. That's why I gave it up I was having way too much. What other carbs can I have to make up for it? I need them considering I do at least an hour if not 2 hours of intense exercise a day...I know wraps but that's basically cheating in my eyes haha.

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Its another cheat but warburtons thins. Epic bready goodness.

warburtons-wraps-fold.png
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Not gonna be half as nice as bread but.....Ryvita/Rye bread/Rice cakes?

Or what-free bread. Technically that's not bread-bread, plus it costs so bloody much that maybe you wont end up eating way too much of it in one go (at least that's how I see it) :grumble:
  • slay0r
    Options
    Oh my god that looks amazing chairless hahaha. I want one of those on my treat day!

I'm sure they're worse than bread calorie wise though when I checked it :p It does indeed feel like a cheat lol.. I'm trying sweet chilli couscous with some salad and turkey in a bit. That should be pretty tasty and give me a few carbs!
  • Janlyn51
    Options
    Where in the world do you find those?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    if you need carbs for a work out, why not heat up a sweet potato with some butter? If you're hungry, try upping your fat and you won't feel nearly as hungry and you'll have lots of fuel.
  • slay0r
    Options
    They're like wraps but they're bread, every supermarket in the uk sells them! :P They're square aren't they chairless?
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    http://www.warburtons.co.uk/sandwichthins/index.asp

Theyre about half the cals of using normal sliced bread for a sandwich, about 50 cals per half compared to 100-120 per slice of normal white / brown bread.

And theyre tasty good. omm nom nom.
  • slay0r
    Options
    if you need carbs for a work out, why not heat up a sweet potato with some butter? If you're hungry, try upping your fat and you won't feel nearly as hungry and you'll have lots of fuel.

That's a good idea, I'm never really a potato fan but I think I could stomach sweet potato, have that with some meat and salad then I doubt I'll be as hungry. I'm generally cutting my bodyfat so that's probably the best way to go about it.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Porridge and bananas spring to mind as good carb sources that will fuel a workout.

Beans of course. 3 bean salad or better still with chilli.

Rice with some nice curry.

Look for a kibbeh recipie and adjust for baking rather than frying. You can use lamb or beef and the bulgar wheat that's in it will fill you up and give you plenty of energy - that's a favourite of mine.

Damn this list is making me hungry!
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for carbs, why not try some whole grain pasta or rice? That might help.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

@Chairless Nom, nom, nom!!! That looks yummy :smokin: :bigsmile: :smokin:

Am a HUGE fan of Warburton thins, they brilliant!!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    That Warburtons Thins recipe looks yummy, but at 100 cal per thin is it worth it? How is it for carbs? They don't seem to give that info on their site.
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been loving potato skins lately. Here's what I do:

Bake your potato(s), slice them in half length wise and scoop out most of the middle (I save it and use it for shepards pie!). Brush the outside with olive oil, sprinkle w/salt or herbs and bake about 10 mins or until golden brown. Then you can fill them with whatever toppings you'd put on a sandwich. I like shredded chicken with some salsa and cheese. You could probably even bake an egg in one for breakfast.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do you like greek yogurt? I am eating granola in mine right now...the granola is my non-fruit/veg carb hit for the day! A protein-rich combo too!
  • Piglet_26
    Options
    Its another cheat but warburtons thins. Epic bready goodness.

Hmmm these actually look more like the Warbutons Square'ish wraps not the thins......both are nice though. I use the wraps and thins as pizza bases for yummy low cal pizza :)