How do I stop eating at night??

Options
I am good all day. I eat well for my meals....but I can't seem to stop eating at night. This is my biggest problem....I just can't deal with this! Help!!!

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i realised that I eat at night because I am tired and bored. I eat for energy, my solution has been to go to bed early! in my food diary, the days I went over my 1200 were the days I went to bed late, or the day after I went to bed late. I realised that I need sleep not food:laugh:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I have been exercising at 8pm every night. Kills the snacking for me. Can't eat while you exercise and don't feel like it after. OR I park myself on the couch and pretend I'm stuck to it until it's time to go to bed.n If I don't go in the kitchen I won't eat. Both work just fine.
  • HeatherD
    HeatherD Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem.... lately I have been finding that brushing my teeth after dinner and /or chewing a mint gum helps.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    So common...I'm the same way. I don't know what it is about the night time that makes us want to eat (everything in sight). When I feel like binging at night I fix a little snack like a toast with pb, a piece of cheese and some fruit.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The cure for your problem is to keep you teeth together.....Just kidding....... I have the same problem. I just find things that are very low cal to snack on. For Example:

Edy's No Sugar Added Popsicles 30 calories a pop.

Fruit,,Plums, Cantaloupe, Watermelon.

If I want something spicy.. Pickles, Kimchi.

Some Sherbet is pretty lo cal.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mine isnt eating all night. I sit down for dinner and way over indulge. I feel crazy cuz I know iv had enough but I continue. It has made it realy hard because I cook for 6 people so there is lots of food and not everyone eats right away so the food is left on the counter and I go back. I am sooooo frustrated with myself. Iv tried eating every two hours so i am less hungry at dinner but I still do it. Instead of having one serving I have like three. Iv tried saving a large portion of my calories for this time but feel that I use that as a bit of an excuse. :noway: :sad: I am normaly so possitive just having a realy hard time right now half on half off the wagon:mad:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble with this too, especially on nights that I don't work out. I find that if I keep myself busy though, I won't eat. I do laundry, pick up the house, pack lunches, that kind of stuff, or I take a bath, give myself a facial or a manicure. Before I know it, it's time for bed.
  • hydrocy
    hydrocy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read two schools of thought. One school says as long as you stay with your calorie count it doesn't matter how late you eat. I am of this school. If I want something it is either sugar free, I usually have a sugar free Popsicle. If I am hungry I eat. That way I am teaching my body to go by cues. Also, I eat a lot of high density food through the day and that helps me to not feel hungry at all.

There is also the school of thought that says it is bad and in fact there is a syndrome for it. Anyway, it's the whole belief that you can't eat after 8:30 PM. Below are some hints, most of it has already been suggested.

Tips for Overcoming Nighttime Noshing
    But even with all this working against us, experts say, it is possible to avoid nighttime overeating. If you're a nighttime nosher, here are some tips to help you kick the habit:

1. Get in the habit of enjoying a hot cup of decaffeinated tea at night. Tea comes in so many great flavors that you'll never be bored. In the warmer months, have a glass of iced tea instead.

2. Many people snack at night because they're bored. Keep your evenings interesting, and you'll find it easier to refrain from mindless snacking. Take a night class, plan an evening exercise session, find a new and interesting book or hobby, etc.

3. If you've gotten into the habit of eating in front of the television, vow to eat only in the kitchen and only drink no-calorie beverages while watching TV. Or limit your TV eating to fruits and vegetables. Occupy your hands in other ways -- ride a stationary bike, do exercises with an exercise ball, take up knitting, pay bills, or write notes to friends.

4. Because evening meals and snacks tend to be the highest in fat, it's especially important to make healthy food choices at this time. Go for foods that are rich in nutrients, high in fiber, and balanced with some lean protein and a little bit of "better" fat (like olive or canola oil, avocado, or nuts).

5. Though you don't want to eat too many calories at dinner, for some people, a small dinner could lead to a late-night snacking tailspin. Eat a balanced, high-fiber dinner. If you get hungry later, enjoy a smart and satisfying evening snack like low-fat yogurt with a sprinkle of whole-grain cereal, fruit with a few slices of cheese, or whole-grain cereal with milk.

6. Have a balanced, higher-fiber lunch and afternoon snack to help avoid overeating at dinner.

7. Don't skip breakfast. "When people skip breakfast, they end up eating more calories by the end of the day, and we know that they end up compensating for this skipped meal with high-sugar, high-fat foods," explains Bowman.

8. People who eat small, frequent meals tend to eat fewer total calories and fat grams than those who eat larger meals less often. Try eating small, frequent meals to see if it improves the way you eat and feel.

9. If you're in the habit of finishing your day with dessert, try having a mini-portion. The first few bites of a food always taste the best, anyway. Experts say a petite portion is more likely to satisfy if you choose a dessert you truly enjoy, take your time and savor every bite, and accompany your treat with a cup of hot coffee or tea.

Hope this helps.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I used to snack late at night too, but tea has helped me w/ that. and its great for digestion so you have nice smooth move in the morning :laugh: . hot tea sweetened w/ splenda, they have some really good flavored desert teas out there that taste like cookies or whatever. And then I will have a bag of the 100 cal kettle corn or buttered popcorn depending on if i am craving sweet or salty. That usually fills me up!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Mine isnt eating all night. I sit down for dinner and way over indulge. I feel crazy cuz I know iv had enough but I continue. It has made it realy hard because I cook for 6 people so there is lots of food and not everyone eats right away so the food is left on the counter and I go back. I am sooooo frustrated with myself. Iv tried eating every two hours so i am less hungry at dinner but I still do it. Instead of having one serving I have like three. Iv tried saving a large portion of my calories for this time but feel that I use that as a bit of an excuse. :noway: :sad: I am normaly so possitive just having a realy hard time right now half on half off the wagon:mad:

I used to be so starving before dinner, and would snack all the way through the preperation. When i am super hungry, I eat a banana...right before eating dinner. Totally works!! And is less cals then what I would have over-indulged on.
  • HEK81
    HEK81 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wonder what you are cooking. When I cook certain foods I just can't get enough. When I cook baked chicken and cabbage or broccoli, I tend not to over indulge. Also you may have to put the food out of site so that you are less likely to go for it. I've also started eating on smaller plates.