Low Sodium Vs Low Fat Products in Australia

Options
Hi just a question for anyone who is in Australia i've been told i have stage 1 of hypertension and must lower my sodium levels when looking in woolworths and coles today i notice that the products are either higher in Fat and KJ with Lower Sodium or if they are lower in FAT and KJ's they are much higher in sodium.

Has anyone found the same?

Any tips on certain products to look for that are not too bad with either.

Im so fustrated.

Try to lose weight and keep healthy beside the fact that is super expensive I cant belive the differences in prices and they wonder why i have hypertension.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also any tips on how to make my own products that are health friendly.

Replies

• aewold
    Options
    Processed food will almost always be high in Sodium, which is used as a preservative.

Companies will often lower the sodium values in processed foods, but will add fat and calories to make up for the "loss" in taste.

Try different websites online, such as LowSodiumLiving.com, LowSodiumCooking.com, Food.com, SparkPeople.com, and any others you may find in Google searches for "low sodium recipes"

You can find many recipes for delicious low sodium substitutes, and even locate some "No Salt Added" products with much lower sodium levels being produced (at least in the US.)