Shoulder Pain...Advice?

Options
I have been doing core exercises recently. Mostly planking and variations of planking, which is murder on my arms and also basic crunches as well as variations of those. I haven't really been one to exercise before now, except for dancing so I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.

My problem is that I have been experiencing shoulder pain when I move my left arm and even a dull ache when it's at rest. Could this be due to my recent exercise habits and will go away after a while as a strengthen and stretch those muscles? Any advice for stretching?

Replies

• 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Commence a flurry of "Go see your doctor..." replies in 3........2........1........

When you say "pain" are you talking stabbing, sharp pain where you know something is seriously wrong? Or "gee, this feels real sore" pain where you worked all the muscles in the region? If it's sharp, stabbing pain where you know something is wrong, in all seriousness, go see a doctor. It could be any number of things (some surgery-serious, some not so much) and your doctor probably won't be able to tell you specifically without xrays or an MRI.

Speaking from experience, I've had serious shoulder pain before, was diagnosed with a tear in the labrum, but only after x-rays and an MRI. It "wasn't too bad" so I was told to go to physical therapy, which helped immensely, and was spared surgery.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i had a rotary cuff injury! because i didn't listen to my body which i could have prevented.

1. REST, take a week or two off if you have too
    2. while resting, stretch your shoulders and look up strength exercises to build
    3. drink plenty of water to flush out the toxic inside
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you are in excruciating pain call an Orth Doc right away. If it's bearable but uncomfortable take some anti-inflammatories regularly (every 4-6 hours) and ice the area 2-4 times a day for 15 minutes. Make sure you ice it right after exercise as well. If after a week of this it doesn't help, call the Dr. I didn't do that for MONTHS and ended up with a torn bicep. I just thought it was additional pain from my dislocated shoulder. Listen to your body!
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Take a couple of days to rest. For me I double up on fish oil omega-3's. Since I started taking them I recover much quicker and no more joint pains.
  • commonly_unique
    Options
    It's mostly just uncomfortable/sore, but I can dull it with heat pads and pain meds. I was hoping it would just be stress on the joint or muscles from a new workout routine, but I think it couldn't hurt to call my doctor.

Thanks for all your help!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, I've had shoulder surgery last year and its the worst surgery/physical therapy you can go through!!! :frown:
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Could be SO many things....See if your doc will give you a referal to a physican therapist. I've had shoulder surgery, lots of therapy, and its still far from perfect. I wouldnt wish all that on anyone. Don't mess around - attend to it asap.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It's mostly just uncomfortable/sore, but I can dull it with heat pads and pain meds. I was hoping it would just be stress on the joint or muscles from a new workout routine, but I think it couldn't hurt to call my doctor.

Thanks for all your help!

Heat will make it feel better, but then it swells up from the heat. If you want to do heat only do it for max 20 minutes and follow with 20 minutes of ice to keep the swelling down.
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Shoulders are very vulnerable.
    Look up rotator cuff exercises and make sure you're working your opposing muscle groups.
    Ice can help with inflammation.
    If it's not getting better, see a physio for help.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    also flaxseed oil tablets, glucosamine tablets helped me along the way!