Eating Healthy is Too Expensive

Options
13»

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, mehughes, If you have the room, plant a garden! Even a terrace garden will give you a surprising amount of cheap produce. Basil grows like a weed. Tomatoes are also easy if you can keep the giant green marshmallow worms of death away from them. Cucumbers are easy.

Those giant worms turn into hummingbird moths - I think they are called Tomato horn worms in that stage. They are nocturnal, so if you are in a garden of night blooming flowers in deep summer, you might see one.

I need to go get zucchini! Thanks for the reminder.

You mean" giant green marshmallow worms of death" isn't the actual name?:tongue: Whatever they're called, I hate them. They love to take ONE bite of every tomato on your plant. I'm all about sharing with god's creatures. . .they could have a whole tomato if they wanted. . .just not a bite of every single one!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain....I have a hard time affording healthy foods too.
    Instead of spending on tomatoes, cucumbers, and the like, I started a small veggie patch in my yard. My daughters love "helping" me plant and harvest! The quality is so much better, too...and it just seems to taste better because I grew it:wink:
    The eggs and milk, (which goes for about $4 a gallon here in Central FL), well there's no way around that because I don't have room for a cow or any chickens:laugh: I go to the local Sam's club and buy in bulk. I eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast, and a lot of fish, because my husband is a seafood delivery driver, and he can buy the stuff wholesale.
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan and only pay at the most $3.50 for a gallon of milk when it's not on sale. I still think that is expensive too.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The adoption of some inexpensive meals as weekly regulars might help?

- egg frittatas
    - whole wheat pastas
    - bean casseroles
    - lentil soups
    - eat seasonal fruits and veggies
    - fish - inexpensive varieties such as sole, tilapia, cod
    - eat with the sales - this may seem obvious, but I literally plan my weekly menu around the best sales at the stores

We also buy meats when on sale, and freeze it (not for long) so that we can get a few meals out a good deal!

I also think that eating well is a necessity - it's a non negotiable expense, light heating, and property tax! :smile:

With that said, there is no arguing that breads, and plain pasta, canned corn, and your basic starches are the cheapest way to go, so I do hear what you are saying about the fruit and veg being expensive!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Coupons Coupons Coupons!!! Farmers markets. Cheap/discount grocery stores. Bulk food places (Costco/Sam's club). These are the only way I eat healthy. A LOT of the grocery stores in my area (Columbus, OH) offer double coupons under a dollar. So I clip clip clip and shop around. I can generally get my meats, fruits, vegies (I buy cheap frozen ones), bread and extra little stuff for about 30 dollars a week. I buy my meat in bulk from Sams club, so i get that about every 2 weeks. It is hard, but you can do it!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    here's what I have started doing. Local farmers market, buy in bulk and seperate at home to freeze, lay off high fatty meats, they cost more...

Coupons are the bomb and don't splurge but once a month on a favorite food.

I have started buying more deer, fish and chicken....

I have a sams instead of a cosco, but they are the same

It is cheaper in the long run.....
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hear you. We have learned how to shop around. I am feeding a family of 4 and 2 dogs on $130 every two weeks.
    Eggs are cheaper at longs than the grocery stores.
    Beans are cheaper in bulk-
    spices are cheaper in bulk
    grains are cheaper in bulk
    found costco is cheaper on nuts and frozen fruit and veggies.
    If you have swap meets or farmers markets-check out fruit and veggies there
    if you have a save mart-they do price to sell. Fruit and veggies that are getting a little ripe-I got 4 avocados for 69 cents-4 tomatoes for 69 cents-8 bananas for 59 cents.
    Get creative and you can do it. It takes time, but it is well worth it.

Today at costco I bought 60 lbs of dog food
    6.5 lbs of chicken breast
    12 pounds of chicken thighs
    3.5 lbs of dry roasted almonds
    7 lbs of frozen mixed veggies
    5 lbs extra lean ground turkey breasts
    for $68
    $20 of it was dog food

I got 7 different spices
    oatmeal
    multi grain hot ceral
    box lipton green tea
    apples
    pears
    bananas
    milled flax
    2 whole wheat bread for the kids
    1 gallon milk
    cilantro
    lunch meat
    2.5 lbs cheese
    3 lbs fish
    frozen corn 1 lb
    hot sauce
    juice box
    lanudry soap
    5 lbs red potatoes
    5lbs yellow onions
    4 red bellpeppers
    $38.73

Good Lord! Can you come to CT and shop for me? I can't walk out of Costco under $200! And I just spend $238 at the grocery store the other day, and next week I'll probably add another $150! And I have 2 kids, 1 dog and 2 cats!
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I find eating healthy is much more expensive. Boneless chicken breast is double the price of the fatty thighs. I can buy 2 loaves of walmart white bread for the price of one good wheat bread. It's tough, but very worth it, so I pick and choose every 2 weeks depending on my grocery budget. And it could be the geography that makes it seem worse for some. I am in Florida. Milk and eggs have went crazy here. So has real estate.......and rent......and gas......and healthcare.....lol
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Yes, mehughes, If you have the room, plant a garden! Even a terrace garden will give you a surprising amount of cheap produce. Basil grows like a weed. Tomatoes are also easy if you can keep the giant green marshmallow worms of death away from them. Cucumbers are easy.

And, if you plant zucchini, well, just prepare yourself to eat a lot of zucchini. I'm going to try a tomato plant and some basil on my back (tiny tiny tiny) balcony this summer.

Not to mention, gardening burns calories! I remember being around six or seven years old and seeing the produce section of the grocery store for the first time, I thought everybody just sent their kids out the veg. patch for tomatoes and cucumbers!

I'm also looking into an organic delivery service. . .the catch is they send you what they have, so you don't control what's coming.

Yeah, where is the "food fairy" when we need it.

I'm definitely going to try basil and a few different herbs. I've been reading a lot of gardeing blogs and trying to get a handle on things. Do you go with seeds, or do you buy small plants? I've been looking at organic seeds from a place called Richers, just outside of Toronto.

I'm wondering what the heck I should use for planters (?) My terrace is quite large (about 200 square feet), so i'm thinking of actually building something that would fit in one end of the terrace and then filling it with soil. I'd need to put down some sort of breathable layer though, with some drainage . . . so I may just end up using big clay pots.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

This guy's book used to be my gardening bible. It involves some construction, but it's even pretty!
  • kkurz
    kkurz Posts: 20
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi's in your area? god... my fiance and i get our staples there... frozen chicken, frozen veggies, canned foods, etc... adn then as needed will get veggies at our local Giant Eagle Supermarket... it keeps our costs WAY down...

and we are still eating super healthy... it's all about the portions...

we are planning our wedding then gonna buy a house... so we are as financially strapped currently as we can be... but our diet doesnt suffer... i highly recommend aldi's (or similar) for the bulk... we loaded up a cart for only $65 (and that has staples that will last us over a month... )
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options

This guy's book used to be my gardening bible. It involves some construction, but it's even pretty!

This looks amazing! Thank you! I'd love to try this, only I worry that after a heavy rain, water does tend to pool on my terrace; it drains out slowly through the cracks in the patio stones . . . a large box system might impede drainage. Probably better to go with pots or plant boxes staggered around the perimeter, and higher up off the ground . . .
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options

This looks amazing! Thank you! I'd love to try this, only I worry that after a heavy rain, water does tend to pool on my terrace; it drains out slowly through the cracks in the patio stones . . . a large box system might impede drainage. Probably better to go with pots or plant boxes staggered around the perimeter, and higher up off the ground . . .

That sounds like a good idea - could look really pretty with the right pots and boxes!!
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    Here in Ireland is Crazy Expensive!!!!!
    Our shoppings will be once or twice a week....
    We don't buy veg or fruit on the supermarket....There is an Organic farm in the village and we get one box of veg and fruit delivered at home every Friday.... We never know what's on the box 'till is in front of the house....base on that box I do the rest of the shopping... (€35 box) it'll last for a week or more... We have an organic garden to, and yesterday we planted some potatoes, herbs,carrots.....
    I don't eat meat, but my boys and my partner do eat twice a week(more less)
    And when we buy meet , it has to be free range or organic...We don't agree in the way big farms feed and treat animals....and you never know where the meet is coming from...We believe on buy locally as much as you can....
    We get fish at the farmers market every saturday..Great prizes for super fresh fish!!
    I know is expensive an organic chicken(from €12 to €20)
    Organic eggs (€1.90/€2.20 for half dozen)
    But we love food, it' s a pleasure to us to eat good and healthy....
    So we spend more money in food than anything ells!!!
    We don't have cable, only 4 channels; we don't drink,(only in some occasions); we don't smoke(€7.50 for 20 cigarettes!!!)
    So my point is that you can eat healthy if you look at your local farms, farmers markets, and is no much expensive than big supermarkets, and you'll know where your food is coming from!!
    And if you drink and smoke, do less!! you will save for good food, and you'll be healthier!!!!
    Take care
    Peace&Love:flowerforyou: :heart:
    Sonia
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Too bad Las Vegas doesn't have a farmer's market, local farms, or places for me to grow fruits and veggies. I'm in a lose-lose situation :sad:
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    I fund 3 farmers markets in Las Vegas!!
    Go to Google and look for farmers markets in Las Vegas....
    I hope there not to far from you!!
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
    Sonia
  • TwistedLiquid
    Options
    The best way to save money eating healthy i have found is simple, here is a break down:

1. Find the best deals in your erea for grains, dairy, vegetables, fruits, and what have you.

2. Create a spreadsheet with all the prices of these produce.

3. Create a list of the meals you want to eat.

4. Now calculate how much each meal would cost.

5. Tweak the meals to add cheaper products without dramatically changes its taste

6. Plan your meals ahead up until your next paycheck, adding the less expensive meals more frequently to meet your budget needs.

I found this to help me in many ways.
    1. Cuts costs of driving back and forth to the groccery store.
    2. Allows you to know exactly how much money you will spend
    3. Adds variety to your meals throughout the week.
    4. keeps you from asking "what are we gonna eat today, im bored of everything"
    5. Most importantly Im not over spending on spontaneous ideas for meals.

hope this helps you save as much as its helped me.

Here is a few examples of variations.
    Mon. Chicken
    Tues. Beef
    Wed. Pasta
    Thur: Fish
    Fri. Chicken
    Sat. Beef
    Sun: Fish

Chicken:
    w/Mac and veggies (mix and varie the veggies)
    w/Rice and baked potatoe
    Breaded Chicken and Rice (add variations of rice)
    chopped chicken in idaho potatoe. (varie spices)
    w/bell peppers, onions, and a bit of asian sauce.

Beef:
    w/Rice and Veggies
    w/mashed potatoes
    w/broccoli, carrots and asian sauce
    Healthy ground beef burgers and tortilla chips.
    Hotdogs w/ chile beans

Pasta:
    w/alfredo sauce
    salads
    spaghetti
    ravioli

Fish:
    coctails
    fillets
    breaded
    tacos

Other:
    Fried Rice (mixed Veggies)
    Fruit Salads
    Garden Salads

I think you get my drift. the point im trying to make is PLAN YOUR MEALS you can't go wrong.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    The heck it's too expensive. Think of how expensive health care is..... then remind yourself everytime you eat that cheap twinkie that's going to send you to urgent care in the long run. Hmmm..... $5 for a bag of oranges or 20cents for HoHos and a $10,000 hospital stay.

My check is on the oranges.