good foods to replace carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    Found a list of Low GI Carbs that you should eat instead of the others. Low GI foods

Eat more of the following carbohydrate foods:

All green vegetables including broccoli, courgettes/zucchini, green beans, kale
    All white vegetables including cauliflower, white cabbage, mushrooms, radishes
    All salad vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes
    Whole fruits such as apples, cherries, grapefruit, pears, plums, oranges, strawberries, peaches
    Pulses such as lentils, chickpeas and dried beans
    Seeds such as linseeds/flax, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and hemp
    Nuts such as almonds, brazils, walnuts, pine nuts, macadamias and peanuts
    Plain yoghurt
    High fibre, unsweetened cereals
    High fibre, whole grain bread *
    Sweet potatoes *
    Whole wheat pasta *
    Brown basmati rice, buckwheat grains, quinoa, bulgur wheat, pearl barley *

Here's a link to the meaning of GI (Glycemic Index) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Just switch ALL your 'white' carbs to wholegrain or 'brown' ones. You'll find them more filling (higher protein content) and less sugar that will play with your bloody sugar system. And again - portion control! x
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Try to just have your main traditional carbs (like bread and pasta not including the few carbs in veggies or those in fruit – just be minimal with the fruit max 2x a day) 1x a day like brown rice with dinner. If you have cereal, a sandwich, fruit snacks and pasta as your 6 meals throughout the day you'll definitely feel more sluggish and the scale won't improve as fast. Have some yogurt and fruit for breakfast or a protein shake, salad with meat for lunch and stir-fry with lots of veggies, meat and rice for dinner or pasta with lots of veggies and meat in the sauce.
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • efish3
    efish3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have cut out bread, pasta, rice, cereals and potatoes from my diet as of 9 weeks ago. I was addicted to them, but once you push through the first week, you don't miss them anymore.
    So my source of carbs are veggies and fruits. I did introduce just this last week something called carbquick, that you use in your recipes instead of flour, and its way lower in carbs. I made pancakes with it yesterday, and they were pretty great.

I plan to reintroduce some carbs, the brown version of them, in a few weeks, but only in moderation.

Cutting out dairy has also been wornderful for me, I am just now reintroducing it, that was more difficult than carbs to me!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Couscous mixed with roasted vegetables like aubergine, butternut squash, peppers, red onion etc. Really tasty especially if you add some chilli or garlic to the roasting veg.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have cut out bread, pasta, rice, cereals and potatoes from my diet as of 9 weeks ago. I was addicted to them, but once you push through the first week, you don't miss them anymore.
    So my source of carbs are veggies and fruits. I did introduce just this last week something called carbquick, that you use in your recipes instead of flour, and its way lower in carbs. I made pancakes with it yesterday, and they were pretty great.

I plan to reintroduce some carbs, the brown version of them, in a few weeks, but only in moderation.

Cutting out dairy has also been wornderful for me, I am just now reintroducing it, that was more difficult than carbs to me!

Has this helped you with the scale any? Although I've been eating at my TDEE -15% for a long time now, I've been unable to lose ANYTHING! I think its because of the quality of my calories. This past week I started incorporating fruits/veggies (never eat any!), hardly any processed food, less carbs, and no "white" foods. I'm still allowing for grains/breads very moderately but aiming for less starchy carbs and more quality carbs.

My diet has always had a lot of processed foods, starchy carbs, and occasional junk... but all within my calorie limit. I think this is why I've been unable to lose!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    TOFU NOODLES. they sell them at the store, about 60 calories per serving and only 3g of carbs from what i remember looking at the nutrition facts! they look just like macaroni or ramen noodles. you can get them at daves marketplace!!!! theyre...SOOOO GOOD.
  • christakersey
    Options
    Replacing white potatoes with red potatoes is a good idea if you still want potatoes. They are healthier for you. Also brown rice instead of white rice for the same reason. I was going to mention the spaghetti squash and the cauliflower also. The first time I had the caulifower was actually at Applebees. They used to have it on the healthy menu but I haven't seen it there in years.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Has this helped you with the scale any? Although I've been eating at my TDEE -15% for a long time now, I've been unable to lose ANYTHING! I think its because of the quality of my calories. This past week I started incorporating fruits/veggies (never eat any!), hardly any processed food, less carbs, and no "white" foods. I'm still allowing for grains/breads very moderately but aiming for less starchy carbs and more quality carbs.

My diet has always had a lot of processed foods, starchy carbs, and occasional junk... but all within my calorie limit. I think this is why I've been unable to lose!

This is how I have lost 12-13 lbs, I know for me cutting calories alone doesn't work (or maybe I have quit too soon). This time around I cut calories, cut carbs, cut dairy, so my diet has been mainly lean protein, veggies, and 1 piece of fruit a day, PLUS I am exercising 5-6 days a week. For the first time in 35 yrs I am becoming addicted to exercise.