Bullying in the workplace.

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Okay so at work this guy has been bullying me for months now.. I went to the boss and they did not care...
What should I do? (other than quit.. I need the money)

Replies

• KJVBear33
    Options
    First, what is he doing? Putting you down or something more drastic?
  • AutumnsPassage
    AutumnsPassage Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Take the issue to human resources, bullying in the workplace is a serious problem. I'm sorry you have to work with such a horrible person.
  • laja1
    laja1 Posts: 12
    Options
    keep a record of what is going on with dates and when you have reported it to your boss. have you considered putting yourself in his place, maybe he feels intimidated by you and so is lashing out at you. log everything for now and talk to your boss in another couple of weeks (if you can)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Yes, talk to someone in Human Resources.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Go to HR..if your company does not have one..get a lawyer.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Go directly to HR.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    are you in the US? If you are, the state you're in has a Board of Labor. They're the ones you go to if your boss is breaking the law. And failing to stop harassment in the workplace IS breaking the law. If they ignore it, you can get help from the Labor Board, or even an attorney if need be.

Don't let it go on, but document everything you can, who you talked to, when, every detail will be helpful to you later on.

:flowerforyou: best wishes
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Document document document, do it as soon as you can after the event, who was involved, what was said... (the bullying) when you bring it to a higher-up (ie boss) document that and what they did about it etc... HR... same thing... document, show that you're doing your best to get it dealt with, and the paper-trail will help with that... more-so than just hearsay, well he-said/she-said.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Okay so at work this guy has been bullying me for months now.. I went to the boss and they did not care...
    What should I do? (other than quit.. I need the money)

Hi. Can you give more detail as to what is going on?
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The HR major is telling you to go to HR.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    I hate bullies! Bullies are my one PET PEEVE. I chew em up and spit em out. Sometimes I swallow, which is why I'm so fat..hehe..

Seriously. I hate bullying or anytime where someone is taking advantage of someone else, whether because they have a size advantage, an authority advantage, or a money advantage and use that advantage to make somebody else miserable who is not able to defend themselves for whatever reason.

And I just ate a whole can of Popeye Spinach for lunch!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    As other posters said, document FACTS. Specifically, date, time, place, what was said to you, and what you said, if anything. Document if there were any witnesses and their names
    Document conversation with boss. Did your superior provided you guidance? Do you and the bully report to the same boss? What follow up action if any was agreed to at this time? Was the action implemented?
    If you have an employee handbook review the policies and procedures governing harassment and bullying in the workplace
    If your company does not have a procedure and policy in place (I don't know where you are), if you are in the US you can file a complaint with a district attorney at the municipal level. It is a long arduous investigation. Be prepared with FACTs that are documented.
    One of the issues that you will be confronted with is your statement "this has been going on for months." Any investigatory body will probe that further.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Document everything, all the times he bullies you or messes with you. also document all interactions with mgmt & HR. email can be a great way to get paper coppies of all conversations and interactions.
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    sounds like a right *kitten*...straight to hr!!